MCU: Thor: Love and Thunder

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This looks like ass. It will be another patented Disney bait and switch.

It's CW level writing and special effects.

I know I'm in the minority, but IMO Taika is the most overrated director these days.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I’m excited to see it, but it looks like they went super heavy on the CGI and the CGI doesn’t look good.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

I know I'm in the minority, but IMO Taika is the most overrated director these days.

I'm with you except for the Taika take at the end. I like him as a director, just not as an MCU director.

This isn't looking good though by this trailer. The dialog and CGI are bad. Seriously, what's happening with CGI at Marvel? Between this, She-Hulk, and some of the other recent movies (even Endgame) the CGI seems to have regressed big time. This is like mid-aughts quality. Are they doing it on the cheap since they know the movies going to be huge either way?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I'm also with you for everything but the end. Taika is great with stuff like "What We Do in the Shadows" and "Jojo Rabbit."

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You didn't like Ragnarok and then you complain that all the Marvel movies are now paint by numbers. Compared to all the other Marvel movies (in all the phases), Ragnarok was NOT paint-by-numbers and is in fact one of the most creatively independent of the Marvel movies. Especially ahead of its time when it came out.

I can understand Taika's tone, and What We Do in the Shadows is his best work (especially the series). But I like the idea of changing things up a bit and throwing some creative license into the wind. I like Ragnarok a lot, but I do have my doubts about Star Wars, but as far as I'm concerned, everything he touches is gold (even if Our Flags Mean Death was subpar).
I have a friend who hates Ragnarok. He thinks they have made Thor into a comedy and not taken the character seriously. I just don't get it. That movie was EASILY the best in the Thor part of the franchise. Look, I get it. Some people want serious superheroes, but the tone of that movie was so out of pocket compared to the tone of the previous films. It was the most damn refreshing tone change at the time.

Two things. First it kills me that the same people complaining about Marvel movies being formulaic are the same people bitching about the movies when they do something that isn't "paint-by-numbers". You simply are never going to please them. No matter what. So he isn't exactly the THOR of the comics. He is the THOR the franchise needs. None of the Marvel characters have been exactly like the comics.

Second, Thor has had plenty of serious moments throughout the run of the overall franchise. People underappreciate Chris Hemsworth. There are very few actors that can play serious when they need to but also can be downright hilarious when needed as well. Pairing him with Taika is a stroke of genius IMO. Taika is a master IMO of getting messages across without hitting you over the head. He is a master at striking a tone between story and entertaining.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have a friend who hates Ragnarok. He thinks they have made Thor into a comedy and not taken the character seriously. I just don't get it. That movie was EASILY the best in the Thor part of the franchise. Look, I get it. Some people want serious superheroes, but the tone of that movie was so out of pocket compared to the tone of the previous films. It was the most damn refreshing tone change at the time.

Two things. First it kills me that the same people complaining about Marvel movies being formulaic are the same people bitching about the movies when they do something that isn't "paint-by-numbers". You simply are never going to please them. No matter what. So he isn't exactly the THOR of the comics. He is the THOR the franchise needs. None of the Marvel characters have been exactly like the comics.

Second, Thor has had plenty of serious moments throughout the run of the overall franchise. People underappreciate Chris Hemsworth. There are very few actors that can play serious when they need to but also can be downright hilarious when needed as well. Pairing him with Taika is a stroke of genius IMO. Taika is a master IMO of getting messages across without hitting you over the head. He is a master at striking a tone between story and entertaining.
You nailed it here.

I also don't think you can make a "serious" superhero movie when you have the Guardians of the Galaxy in it. Besides, this Thor has personality -- much more than in the comics.

Stout

Reaction score
Yeah, no. I don't think anybody was looking for a "serious" super hero movie or anything. At least I wasn't. The trailers with the jokes made it appear a funny at times movie. When you have such an awesome "bad guy" and criminally under-use them at the expense of yuk yuk jokes throughout the whole damn movie, you make a tone deaf move. That's how I viewed it. It's cool that yinz loved it, and the majority of others did too, so I'm in the minority. I'm comfortable there. I can see why people liked it, buying into the sheer absurdity. I didn't.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Just watched it in the theater. The reports I saw are accurate - it is good, but not quite as good as Ragnarok.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
How would you compare the camp/comedy to Ragnarok? I did not like the 3-Stooges level of yuk yuk in that one.
A lot more of it at the beginning and more over the top, but it definitely fades off once they really start getting into the main story arc.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took the family last night and we loved it. Super funny and a great sound track!

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know. It's hard to tell if it's good cheesy fun, or as eye-rollingly bad as the last one. I suppose I'll watch it to see.
For me it was good cheesy fun. I was laughing through the entire movie.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have family events tonight and tomorrow. Can't see this until Sunday.

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you like Guns n Roses music.. and honestly, who doesn't like Guns n Roses music?!
LOL. Lets just say that we took a road trip to San Francisco this past weekend and my kids were like "We heard all of those songs this weekend like 15 times."

Stout

Reaction score
I was very pleasantly surprised! Yes, the comedy was too ridiculous at times, but not for great stretches like in the last one. Yes, thee was some predictability and mustache-twirling, but it is a comic book movie, after all. There was also a lot of just pure awesome in this movie. Just plain fun and rocking.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was very pleasantly surprised! Yes, the comedy was too ridiculous at times, but not for great stretches like in the last one. Yes, thee was some predictability and mustache-twirling, but it is a comic book movie, after all. There was also a lot of just pure awesome in this movie. Just plain fun and rocking.
Sweet. We're excited after watching Ragnarok for the first time ever about a week ago.. probably now my favorite Thor movie and I dismissed it for some reason... Probably for the fears of goofiness, which in turn, ending up making the movie. IMO.

That Banner jump out of the plane almost had me pissing my pants...

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you liked it I am a tad more excited to see this tomorrow. :thewave:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose