New Star Wars Film: Taika Waititi tapped to direct and co-write

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oscar winner Taika Waititi tapped to direct and co-write new 'Star Wars' movie

https://www.usatoday.com/story/ente...rs-taika-waititi-direct-new-movie/3078570001/

Here's one more reason to look forward to getting back to the movie theater: Oscar winner Taika Waititi has been tapped to direct and co-write a new "Star Wars" film.

Disney announced on Monday, May 4, that Waititi, who won the Academy Award for best screenplay for "Jojo Rabbit" and helmed the first season finale of Disney+'s popular "The Mandalorian" series, will write the upcoming movie with Krysty Wilson-Cairns ("1917").

Rumors that Waititi, who also voiced an assassin droid/robotic protector for Baby Yoda (The Child) in "Mandalorian," planned his own "Star Wars" film have been bubbling for several months. In a February interview with Variety, the "Thor: Ragnarok" director said he would love to helm an adventure in the galaxy far, far away "if it was right. I would want to do any kind of movie if it made sense, and if it felt not like career suicide."

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beyond excited about this. Taika is a great director/writer IMO. I can't wait to see what he comes up with. Give this guy a trilogy and forget Rian Johnson.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beyond excited about this. Taika is a great director/writer IMO. I can't wait to see what he comes up with. Give this guy a trilogy and forget Rian Johnson.

I didn't think Ragnorak was as great as everyone said it was, but I 1,000 echo your sentiment about blowing Rian out the airlock and giving this guy the reins.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I didn't think Ragnorak was as great as everyone said it was, but I 1,000 echo your sentiment about blowing Rian out the airlock and giving this guy the reins.

This, only I'm even more critical of Ragnarok. Then again, I think Jojo Rabbit was best picture this last year.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huge fan of both Rian Johnson and Taika Waititi.

Excited to see a variety of directors take over Star Wars projects in the future.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Disney has gone dead silent about Rian's trilogy. Maybe it's changed but I read an interview where he said he doesn't know where things are at. So who knows? To be fair, as much as I think he screwed up the trilogy (even) impacting the finale I think if you are going to give him a Star Wars movie let him do something original with his own characters.

Having said that I won't shed a tear if they never materialize.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose