MCU: Thor: Love and Thunder

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really liked this. Just a flat out comedy at this point with Thor.

Russel Crow was hilarious

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently there were two hours of deleted scenes. Many Gor stuff got cut.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rank Ragnarok #1 and Love and Thunder #2 so I am on Chap's side.

It was fun and really relatable at the end as a dad. An absolute ton of 80s Thor comics especially the damn goats.

My main concern going in was without Loki, who would be the banter fobile to Thor but the Korg / Valkyrie combo was good.

I was also worried it would be Guardians of the Galaxy 2.5 but Taika impressively transitioned past that quickly.
Any movie with Cate Blanchett in it is an automatic favorite for me....

You must be registered for see images

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I rewatched the original and Ragnarok again this weekend with my son. Didn't think #2 was worth a rewatch.

So I really enjoyed the original Thor. I thought it was a solid introduction to Thor and Loki. It's still up there as my favorite.

I was still disappointed in Ragnarok. I just couldn't get into the whole slave planet scenes / Jeff Goldblum character. It just felt off to me and seemed unnecessary and it was such a big portion of the movie. Like others have said they failed to develop the Villain like they have in so many other MCU movies. I'd rather had that time spent on learning about Hela than some silly Jeff Goldblum character/Slave Planet that had nothing to do with the main plot.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So I rewatched the original and Ragnarok again this weekend with my son. Didn't think #2 was worth a rewatch.

So I really enjoyed the original Thor. I thought it was a solid introduction to Thor and Loki. It's still up there as my favorite.

I was still disappointed in Ragnarok. I just couldn't get into the whole slave planet scenes / Jeff Goldblum character. It just felt off to me and seemed unnecessary and it was such a big portion of the movie. Like others have said they failed to develop the Villain like they have in so many other MCU movies. I'd rather had that time spent on learning about Hela than some silly Jeff Goldblum character/Slave Planet that had nothing to do with the main plot.
The problem with the first two Thor movies (and to an extent, Avengers 1) is that Thor was pretty bland as a personality. We already have that with Steve Rogers, but one of the most endearing things about Tony Stark is how Robert Downey Jr plays him. Heck, even Mark Ruffalo's short screentime in Avengers showed more interesting traits than Thor up to that point.

I just wanted Avengers again, and you could see where they decided to start taking advantage of Chris Hemsworth's comedic chops. His interactions with Hulk and "He's adopted" as the standouts. They were moving in the direction of Ragnarok, and when they decided to turn him into kind of a self-absorbed idiot, it started opening up possibilities for the character.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a diehard friend who HATES MCU Thor. Thinks they have made a completely joke out of him. I never agreed with him until now. I thought up until this movie it had the perfect balance taking advantage of CH's comedic chops. For me? It's just gone way over the top now. Looking forward to a return in balance.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Never take a super hero movie that serious...

Thanos and all the villains seem to show that maybe, just maybe, the good guys really aren't the "good" guys after all...

So when it comes to the laid back nature of Thor and others it really rings true to the whole not giving a damn vibe as of late in all these movies... I love it. It will be what it will be. The same Free Guy vibe I loved, is occuring in the guardians and now Thor series.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I have a diehard friend who HATES MCU Thor. Thinks they have made a completely joke out of him. I never agreed with him until now. I thought up until this movie it had the perfect balance taking advantage of CH's comedic chops. For me? It's just gone way over the top now. Looking forward to a return in balance.
I was about to strongly react here, but I get what you're saying, that you didn't like the style of humor in this one. I thought you were saying there was more humor period in L+T, which would have been quite false--Waititi very much injected more humor into Ragnarok--but that wasn't what you were saying. I still 100 percent disagree, but that's okay.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was about to strongly react here, but I get what you're saying, that you didn't like the style of humor in this one. I thought you were saying there was more humor period in L+T, which would have been quite false--Waititi very much injected more humor into Ragnarok--but that wasn't what you were saying. I still 100 percent disagree, but that's okay.
Yes and no. This style of humor was over way over the top but I also 100% disagree you on L&T doesn't have more "humor". It does. L&T is almost wall to wall setup scenes with gags. Ragnarök is a story with humor where L&T seems like it was attempting to be written as a nyuk nyuk comedy. I even rewatched Ragnarök with my daughter last night and there is no question which one was written as a comedy. It's L&T. Even my 10 year old last night looked at me and said this one had a better story. LOL.

I get it though...it's the same director and with some of the same "tone" in both films. One just went way further than the other. We simply disagree there but as you stated that's OK.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yes and no. This style of humor was over way over the top but I also 100% disagree you on L&T doesn't have more "humor". It does. L&T is almost wall to wall setup scenes with gags. Ragnarök is a story with humor where L&T seems like it was attempting to be written as a nyuk nyuk comedy. I even rewatched Ragnarök with my daughter last night and there is no question which one was written as a comedy. It's L&T. Even my 10 year old last night looked at me and said this one had a better story. LOL.

I get it though...it's the same director and with some of the same "tone" in both films. One just went way further than the other. We simply disagree there but as you stated that's OK.
Complete disagreement. The humor didn't stop in Ragnarok--it was legion. Much less humor in L+T. We just won't agree on anything, I suppose :)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Complete disagreement. The humor didn't stop in Ragnarok--it was legion. Much less humor in L+T. We just won't agree on anything, I suppose :)
Didn't see anything close to Teddy Bears shooting bolts of lighting, kids rushing into battle, Thor doing Van Damme splits, girls fainting because Thor was naked (Nyuk, Nyuk) in Ragnarök. It's cool though. To each his own.

Last edited:

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Liked it, didn’t love it. It was definitely funny at times, if a bit “try-hard” at times. Ragnarok is still my fave, I think.

Fave scene was
the colorless scene, where everything was black and white, until the axe/hammer brought the color. Bale did an excellent job. Loved the hammer all put back together like that.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As I was sitting in the theater ton watching this tonight, I kept asking myself, is this the worst movie I have ever seen?

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Liked it, didn’t love it. It was definitely funny at times, if a bit “try-hard” at times. Ragnarok is still my fave, I think.

Fave scene was
the colorless scene, where everything was black and white, until the axe/hammer brought the color. Bale did an excellent job. Loved the hammer all put back together like that.

Ironically you said the same thing about Ragnarok:

Movie #17 - Thor: Ragnarok

Initial reaction: Mixed feelings - was funny for sure but felt kinda disjointed/forced at times

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ironically you said the same thing about Ragnarok:

Lol nice find with that thread! That was a fun time watching all those movies!

I guess watching Ragnarok multiple times made me like it more and more!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouchie and I started watching this last night. I was pretty out of it after drinking all day at a postponement of a wedding party, but the hazy bits I do remember left me thinking it was going to be pretty bad.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I thought it got better. But they’ve gone weird places with Thor for sure.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Never take a super hero movie that serious...

Thanos and all the villains seem to show that maybe, just maybe, the good guys really aren't the "good" guys after all...

So when it comes to the laid back nature of Thor and others it really rings true to the whole not giving a damn vibe as of late in all these movies... I love it. It will be what it will be. The same Free Guy vibe I loved, is occuring in the guardians and now Thor series.
The MCU is best comedy series where millions of innocent people are constantly dying lol.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to watch this weekend I guess i still will. Lucy's sister and family saw it in the theater and liked it so I'm hoping I like it.

I do really like the humor aspect of Thor in the MCU so far but it sounds like they went over the top on this one so I guess we'll see.