MCU: Thor: Love and Thunder

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get you. Yeah, I saw it two more times, and it still didn't click. My buddy and I saw it the first time in a theater that just lapped it up, and were hesitant to admit to each other that we only thought it was okay, that it was too yakety sax. When we realized we both felt the same, we started cracking our own jokes :)

you watched a movie three times... and didn't like it? that seems like a massive waste of time!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really, IMO the second movie is possibly Cruise's worst movie ever.

My wife, who did not read the books, feels similarly although she dislikes Far and Away more. I actually liked the 2nd movie better - probably because enough time had passed for me to get over the casting decision.

OP
OP
Town Drunk

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Really, IMO the second movie is possibly Cruise's worst movie ever.

Without a doubt. I liked the first. I have no idea how the script for the 2nd got approved.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
My wife, who did not read the books, feels similarly although she dislikes Far and Away more. I actually liked the 2nd movie better - probably because enough time had passed for me to get over the casting decision.
Huh. I actually really liked Far and Away. But to be fair, I'm a sucker for Ron Howard movies.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh. I actually really liked Far and Away. But to be fair, I'm a sucker for Ron Howard movies.

Hmmm, other than Apollo 13 I find most of what he does to be so-so. Granted, I haven't watched everything he's directed but his stuff just doesn't usually do much for me.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, other than Apollo 13 I find most of what he does to be so-so. Granted, I haven't watched everything he's directed but his stuff just doesn't usually do much for me.

I'm with ya for the most part but thought Frost-Nixon was fantastic as well. Oh... and I loved Backdraft for some reason when I was 15. Not so much now.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with ya for the most part but thought Frost-Nixon was fantastic as well. Oh... and I loved Backdraft for some reason when I was 15. Not so much now.

I didn't see it. I finally gave up on his work after Ransom although I did get roped into watching and being disappointed by the Dan Brown adaptions.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Apollo 13 is by far his greatest achieement, but I do love Splash, Gung Ho, Night Shift, Willow, The Paper, Cinderella Man, Frost/Nixon, and Angels & Demons I think is by far the best of the 3 Langdon movies (and the best book in the series).

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Christian Bale Is Gorr the God Butcher in Thor: Love and Thunder

https://movieweb.com/thor-4-christian-bale-gorr-god-butcher/

Christian Bale's role in the upcoming sequel Thor: Love and Thunder has been revealed. Previously, it was reported that Bale had joined the cast of the Marvel movie, marking the acclaimed actor's debut in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It wasn't clear exactly who he'd be playing in the sequel, but Disney has just officially revealed that Bale will be playing the antagonist Gorr the God Butcher, a powerful supervillain who fights with Thor in the original Marvel comic books.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marvel/Disney are so smart. They lose the top two stars for the Avengers and to keep interest up, they basically turn the Spiderman franchise into the Avengers throwing every Spiderman and Electro and Doc-Ock and Dr. Strange, making that a star-studded bonanza and then have Thor face off against freaking Batman as the villain in the next chapter of that franchise.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess after End Game etc it doesn't really matter but haven't they said for years they're going to have Sub Mariner in a Marvel film?

As a kid he was always my favorite villain. I know they've said in the past it's contractual issues over who owns the rights is that still why?

I googled it and the first thing I found the guy basically said what I said, great character but because they already did the whole End Game thing it would probably at this point be anticlimactic to have someone like Sub Mariner now

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess after End Game etc it doesn't really matter but haven't they said for years they're going to have Sub Mariner in a Marvel film?

As a kid he was always my favorite villain. I know they've said in the past it's contractual issues over who owns the rights is that still why?

I googled it and the first thing I found the guy basically said what I said, great character but because they already did the whole End Game thing it would probably at this point be anticlimactic to have someone like Sub Mariner now

they own the rights now and there was an allusion to the Sub Mariner in Endgame actually, talking about seismic acitivity in the ocean near Wakanda. It's only a matter of time before he gets introduced.

OP
OP
Town Drunk

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I usually enjoy the Thor films and anything Marvel, but this trailer upon first viewing resulted in a “meh” reaction from me.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
In Taika I trust.
I agree. It's pretty amazing to me the hate directed toward Ragnarok. I'm not sure why considering most Marvel movies are pretty similar in scope -- until that one.

And Taika Waititi is one of the most imaginative A-List filmmakers working today.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I agree. It's pretty amazing to me the hate directed toward Ragnarok. I'm not sure why considering most Marvel movies are pretty similar in scope -- until that one.

And Taika Waititi is one of the most imaginative A-List filmmakers working today.

I honestly didn't care for Ragnarok and this one isn't looking good to me either. The Marvel movies being similar in scope is part of the problem. IMO it's felt like the franchise has gone to paint by numbers a bit. Phase 1 and 2 felt a lot more creative to me and I'm much more likely to rewatch one of the then I am a phase 3 or 4 movie. There's an autopilot feel to most of them.

As for Taika, I personally don't want to see him do any more MCU movies or the Star Wars film he is slated to do. His tone just feels off for them. I'd much rather get a new What We Do in the Shadows or Jojo Rabit from him. I loved both of those.

Same thing with someone like Rein Johnson. His voice just doesn't line up well with the existing franchise. Give me Looper, Brother Bloom, or Knives Out any day. Let him anywhere near a Star Wars set and I'm going to go postal. :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I honestly didn't care for Ragnarok and this one isn't looking good to me either. The Marvel movies being similar in scope is part of the problem. IMO it's felt like the franchise has gone to paint by numbers a bit. Phase 1 and 2 felt a lot more creative to me and I'm much more likely to rewatch one of the then I am a phase 3 or 4 movie. There's an autopilot feel to most of them.

As for Taika, I personally don't want to see him do any more MCU movies or the Star Wars film he is slated to do. His tone just feels off for them. I'd much rather get a new What We Do in the Shadows or Jojo Rabit from him. I loved both of those.

Same thing with someone like Rein Johnson. His voice just doesn't line up well with the existing franchise. Give me Looper, Brother Bloom, or Knives Out any day. Let him anywhere near a Star Wars set and I'm going to go postal. :)
You didn't like Ragnarok and then you complain that all the Marvel movies are now paint by numbers. Compared to all the other Marvel movies (in all the phases), Ragnarok was NOT paint-by-numbers and is in fact one of the most creatively independent of the Marvel movies. Especially ahead of its time when it came out.

I can understand Taika's tone, and What We Do in the Shadows is his best work (especially the series). But I like the idea of changing things up a bit and throwing some creative license into the wind. I like Ragnarok a lot, but I do have my doubts about Star Wars, but as far as I'm concerned, everything he touches is gold (even if Our Flags Mean Death was subpar).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You didn't like Ragnarok and then you complain that all the Marvel movies are now paint by numbers. Compared to all the other Marvel movies (in all the phases), Ragnarok was NOT paint-by-numbers and is in fact one of the most creatively independent of the Marvel movies. Especially ahead of its time when it came out.

I can understand Taika's tone, and What We Do in the Shadows is his best work (especially the series). But I like the idea of changing things up a bit and throwing some creative license into the wind. I like Ragnarok a lot, but I do have my doubts about Star Wars, but as far as I'm concerned, everything he touches is gold (even if Our Flags Mean Death was subpar).
Yeah… Flags was a bit of a disappointment. I liked it, but not enough to finish it.

Shadows is the funniest thing on TV right now.