MCU: Thor: Love and Thunder

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Well that’s a mighty bold way to announce Thor 4, now to be known as Thor: Love and Thunder! Not only did the Marvel movie’s Comic-Con panel confirm the return of Taika Waititi at the helm and Thor: Ragnarok co-stars Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompsonreprising their roles as Thor and Valkyrie respectively, they delivered a mighty blow with the reveal that Natalie Portman would be returning … and would be taking on the title of Thor herself!

http://collider.com/thor-4-natalie-portman/

OP
OP
Town Drunk

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't get the idea of her being thor. She getting all his powers and holding the hammer? Doesn't make sense to me right now.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get the idea of her being thor. She getting all his powers and holding the hammer? Doesn't make sense to me right now.

The idea is nothing new.

It goes back as far as What If? #10 (1978):

You must be registered for see images attach

But What If? comics are just that - issues where alternate realities aka "What If? scenarios" are explored.

In 2014, in a title-wide series called "Original Sin," Jane Foster did wield Mjolnir and gain the powers of Thor (in the actual comic book timeline).

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
6'5" weighing between 210-250 pounds and has a 50" chest.

The author, Lee Child, basically sold out just to get his hero on the screen.

In hindsight and going forward he has admitted it was wrong and is dedicated to finding an actor that is more fitting (much larger).

Lee Child Says Tom Cruise Is Too Tiny to Keep Playing Jack Reacher

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/11/tom-cruise-jack-reacher-lee-child-reboot
But how many 6' 5" 230 pound people who can actually act are there? Not many. IIRC, he is also bald in the books. That said, Cruise played the part well. This is one of my favorite scenes in a movie of all time:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry but there was nothing wrong with cruise playing reacher. Yeah he maybe off on the size but he played it well.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry but there was nothing wrong with cruise playing reacher. Yeah he maybe off on the size but he played it well.

Unlike some, I didn't let it ruin the movies for me but I would disagree here. Sure, it's not usually a problem to take liberties matching actor to role but considering how key Reacher's size is to the story lines and the fact it's such an integral part of who the guy is, I'd say it's at least a little problem. Cruise is always great but that just wasn't Reacher IMO.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The Thor movies (1 and 2) were fun with a leavening of humor; Ragnarok was just plain yakety sax corny for me.

Not that you dont know what you like and dont like, but did you ever give it a 2nd viewing?

I only ask because I felt exactly like you when I saw it in the theater I mean you describe it perfectly, but when I watched it again at home with the kids we were cracking up and it really grew on me.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
But how many 6' 5" 230 pound people who can actually act are there? Not many. IIRC, he is also bald in the books. QUOTE]

Sounds like the perfect time for Hafthor Julius Bjornsonn.

Reaction score
Unlike some, I didn't let it ruin the movies for me but I would disagree here. Sure, it's not usually a problem to take liberties matching actor to role but considering how key Reacher's size is to the story lines and the fact it's such an integral part of who the guy is, I'd say it's at least a little problem. Cruise is always great but that just wasn't Reacher IMO.

Having never read the books both movies worked for me. I enjoyed them.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having never read the books both movies worked for me. I enjoyed them.

I can see that, as I implied, I enjoyed them too. But if you were a die hard fan of the Reacher novels, I'm pretty sure you'd also have a problem with the character being played by Tom Thumb. Jack's size along with his ability to take a beating and keep on ticking simply defines him in the novels and that size has a lot to do with him being able to bull his way through those beatings.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I can see that, as I implied, I enjoyed them too. But if you were a die hard fan of the Reacher novels, I'm pretty sure you'd also have a problem with the character being played by Tom Thumb. Jack's size along with his ability to take a beating and keep on ticking simply defines him in the novels and that size has a lot to do with him being able to bull his way through those beatings.
In my opinion, if the Jack Reacher name had not been used, the first film would have been a Tom Cruise classic, similar to what John Wick is for Keanu Reeves. But the fact that it's Reacher is a pretty big problem that is hard to overcome for some people.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, if the Jack Reacher name had not been used, the first film would have been a Tom Cruise classic, similar to what John Wick is for Keanu Reeves. But the fact that it's Reacher is a pretty big problem that is hard to overcome for some people.

I like both of the movies but I just ignore the fact they're supposed to be from the Lee Child novels. But I can understand that some fans have an issue with it. So yeah, if he'd been named Bobby Bubbles we'd spend more time talking about the merits of the movies.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Not that you dont know what you like and dont like, but did you ever give it a 2nd viewing?

I only ask because I felt exactly like you when I saw it in the theater I mean you describe it perfectly, but when I watched it again at home with the kids we were cracking up and it really grew on me.

I get you. Yeah, I saw it two more times, and it still didn't click. My buddy and I saw it the first time in a theater that just lapped it up, and were hesitant to admit to each other that we only thought it was okay, that it was too yakety sax. When we realized we both felt the same, we started cracking our own jokes :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I like both of the movies but I just ignore the fact they're supposed to be from the Lee Child novels. But I can understand that some fans have an issue with it. So yeah, if he'd been named Bobby Bubbles we'd spend more time talking about the merits of the movies.
Really, IMO the second movie is possibly Cruise's worst movie ever.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave