MCU: Thor: Love and Thunder

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ahhhhhhhh! I was supposed to see this tonight with my boys but the other house isn’t getting back into town until 5 hours past the scheduled handoff. They do this all the freaking time. So disrespectful.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh. Out of the 4 Thor movies this would be #3 only above Dark World. The first movie and Ragnarök (my favorite) was definitely better. This is probably my least favorite Taika movie to date to boot. Thor Ragnarök was solid story with just the right amount of humor where this movie felt like it was a trying too hard to be a comedy with the right amount of story....but mostly failed. Not the worst Marvel movie or anything like that just really average IMO.

The movie would have been a total waste if not for the sendoff of Natalie Portman's character and the setup of what comes next. I think this movie was basically a setup for a version of Thor: War of the Gods storyline in the MCU.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thor: Love and Thunder

Release Date: July 8, 2022
Studio: Marvel | Disney
Director: Taika Waititi
MPAA Rating: PG-13 for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, language, some suggestive material, and partial nudity.
Screenwriters: Taika Waititi and Jennifer Kaytin Robinson (based on the Marvel comics by Stan Lee)
Genre: Action | Adventure | Comedy | Fantasy | Romance | Sci-Fi

Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Christian Bale, Tessa Thompson, Taika Waititi, Russell Crowe, Jaimie Alexander, Chris Pratt, Dave Bautista, Karen Gillan

Plot Summary: Thor enlists the help of Valkyrie, Korg, and ex-girlfriend Jane Foster to fight Gorr the God Butcher, who intends to make the gods extinct.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Meh. Out of the 4 Thor movies this would be #3 only above Dark World. The first movie and Ragnarök (my favorite) was definitely better. This is probably my least favorite Taika movie to date to boot. Thor Ragnarök was solid story with just the right amount of humor where this movie felt like it was a trying too hard to be a comedy with the right amount of story....but mostly failed. Not the worst Marvel movie or anything like that just really average IMO.

The movie would have been a total waste if not for the sendoff of Natalie Portman's character and the setup of what comes next. I think this movie was basically a setup for a version of Thor: War of the Gods storyline in the MCU.
So, so disagree. But I think it's already clear why :)

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This looks so stupid to me. It drips with a forced "easy humor schtick" and I think there's an oversaturation of superhero movies to begin with.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, so disagree. But I think it's already clear why :)
Yep. It felt like Taika was trying to make a 3 stooges movie with Thor characters to me. Plenty of unnecessary nyuk nyuk nyuk which distracted from what I thought could have been a much better movie. I thought Ragnarök had the perfect balance. By the way this is coming from someone who defended the last movie from people who thought the last Thor wasn't serious enough.

Looking forward to a new director for the next Thor.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
Yep. It felt like Taika was trying to make a 3 stooges movie with Thor characters to me. Plenty of unnecessary nyuk nyuk nyuk which distracted from what I thought could have been a much better movie. I thought Ragnarök had the perfect balance. By the way this is coming from someone who defended the last movie from people who thought the last Thor wasn't serious enough.

Looking forward to a new director for the next Thor.
You literally are taking what I think about Ragnarok and pinning it on this movie lol There was faaaaaaaaaaar more 3-Stooges yuk yuk in Ragnarok. You liked the usage of that humor in Ragnarok more than you did in Love and Thunder, is all.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You literally are taking what I think about Ragnarok and pinning it on this movie lol There was faaaaaaaaaaar more 3-Stooges yuk yuk in Ragnarok. You liked the usage of that humor in Ragnarok more than you did in Love and Thunder, is all.
No there wasn't. I can't disagree with you more. To me there are two kinds of humor. There is humor that is written in a way that is more organic to the situation at hand and there is slapstick I am just throwing humor in there because that's what I want my movie to be. Ragnarök did this much more balanced and organically. Where this movie felt like it was setup gag after setup gag. Ragnarök was mostly praised for being refreshing in tone.

Seriously, I feel like we watched the opposite two movies. Even my wife walked out of this and said...this movie was trying TOO HARD to be funny and she said most of it was dumb humor verses really funny (which is why I said nyuk nyuk nyuk humor). She said this might one of her least favorite Marvel moves to date. She overall is pretty harsh critic of hero movies, and she liked this movie even less than I did. I thought it was average. She thought it was below average.
By the way aside from the cringe gags like Thor getting his clothes ripped off or the little girl wielding Thor's powers with stuffed animals? As much as I loved Christian Bale? He turned out to be somewhat of a McGuffin. He was billed as the God killer in the trailers and they kept referring to him as the Butcher of Gods but he doesn't do much God killing at all on screen. It all takes place off-screen. They should have called him the child kidnapper instead. We could have scene some really cool battles with MCU Gods. Instead, we got more setup for gags.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
No there wasn't. I can't disagree with you more. To me there are two kinds of humor. There is humor that is written in a way that is more organic to the situation at hand and there is slapstick I am just throwing humor in there because that's what I want my movie to be. Ragnarök did this much more balanced and organically. Where this movie felt like it was setup gag after setup gag. Ragnarök was mostly praised for being refreshing in tone.

Seriously, I feel like we watched the opposite two movies. Even my wife walked out of this and said...this movie was trying TOO HARD to be funny and she said most of it was dumb humor verses really funny (which is why I said nyuk nyuk nyuk humor). She said this might one of her least favorite Marvel moves to date. She overall is pretty harsh critic of hero movies, and she liked this movie even less than I did. I thought it was average. She thought it was below average.
By the way aside from the cringe gags like Thor getting his clothes ripped off or the little girl wielding Thor's powers with stuffed animals? As much as I loved Christian Bale? He turned out to be somewhat of a McGuffin. He was billed as the God killer in the trailers and they kept referring to him as the Butcher of Gods but he doesn't do much God killing at all on screen. It all takes place off-screen. They should have called him the child kidnapper instead. We could have scene some really cool battles with MCU Gods. Instead, we got more setup for gags.
So you're not arguing that there was more humor in L+T than in Ragnarok, but that it wasn't as good in L+T? I mean, I still can't at all agree, but it's all subjective, so to each their own :) To me, there was yuk yuk humor in both movies, but since Ragnarok was much, MUCH more humor-based, it was worse in that one. IMHO

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you're not arguing that there was more humor in L+T than in Ragnarok, but that it wasn't as good in L+T? I mean, I still can't at all agree, but it's all subjective, so to each their own :) To me, there was yuk yuk humor in both movies, but since Ragnarok was much, MUCH more humor-based, it was worse in that one. IMHO
I am saying there was more pointless slapstick type humor in L&T. I thought the humor in Ragnarök was much more organic and situational where in Love and Thunder it was slapstick to be slapstick and at times it didn't serve any purpose but to setup a gag (many really not that funny). Ragnarök simply had a better balance with story. Again, I didn't hate L&T but it's really far down on my list in terms of Marvel movies.

Stout

Reaction score
I am saying there was more pointless slapstick type humor in L&T. I thought the humor in Ragnarök was much more organic and situational where in Love and Thunder it was slapstick to be slapstick and at times it didn't serve any purpose but to setup a gag (many really not that funny). Ragnarök simply had a better balance with story. Again, I didn't hate L&T but it's really far down on my list in terms of Marvel movies.
As I said, we see it totally different. Fair enough!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I said, we see it totally different. Fair enough!
I was responding to your question. "So you're not arguing that there was more humor in L+T than in Ragnarok, but that it wasn't as good in L+T?"

It's cool though. Everybody has different tastes.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So I've processed the movie a bit and my overall review is "good not great". Unlike a few select people here, my favorite Thor movie was Ragnarok. Partly because that movie was so different from all the other Marvel movies, but it made Thor into a much more interesting character, even if it established him to be less intelligent than normal.

This video below does explain a lot of the Easter Eggs of the movie. A ton of them are reaches and speculation, but a couple of them are pretty cool, either because I wasn't familiar with the comic lore or there just wasn't enough time on screen to notice them. BEWARE: THIS IS FULL OF SPOILERS -- essentially it goes through scene by scene.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Highly entertaining IMO with a lot of cameos and yes, it was pretty funny throughout. And Christian Bale was a fantastic villain and I wish we saw more of him destroying Gods. But there really is one reason why I prefer Ragnarok over this movie:

You must be registered for see images attach

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was fun
My wife said something last night to me. She said it felt like a Saturday morning cartoon verses a MCU movie. She said if felt like the Pixar approach of making a little kids movie with a sprinkle of adult stuff. She would have preferred this be more of a holiday short than a full blown movie. I liked it slightly better than she did but I can’t say I disagree with her.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rank Ragnarok #1 and Love and Thunder #2 so I am on Chap's side.

It was fun and really relatable at the end as a dad. An absolute ton of 80s Thor comics especially the damn goats.

My main concern going in was without Loki, who would be the banter fobile to Thor but the Korg / Valkyrie combo was good.

I was also worried it would be Guardians of the Galaxy 2.5 but Taika impressively transitioned past that quickly.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife said something last night to me. She said it felt like a Saturday morning cartoon verses a MCU movie. She said if felt like the Pixar approach of making a little kids movie with a sprinkle of adult stuff. She would have preferred this be more of a holiday short than a full blown movie. I liked it slightly better than she did but I can’t say I disagree with her.

I will watch it with my 7 year old daughter and it will be great.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But honestly I wish it would have been a half hour longer. I would have loved a longer treatment of Gor because Bale was phenomenal

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave