Maybe Sam Bradford isn't even the QB he used to be..

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A Lot of people are arguing that Sam Bradford was never going to be good etc... I think he was a decent QB in the past really, even if he threw too many short passes. The problem is, all of his injuries might have put a toll on him, if he had an inclination to get rid of the ball a little too early before, he might even be more that way now. Psychologically he may now always be concerned about getting hurt again. It has happened to a lot of potentially good QB up and comers whose careers plummeted after getting sacked too much. We may see the same with Sam.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
His performance last night made me wish for John Skelton. I really expected Bradford to play well. Of course I also expected our defense to play good and it’s funny that the best player on the field was Nkemdiche.

Looking at the schedule Washington looks like the easiest game so this could be a very long season if this coaching staff doesn’t get this team on track.

Reaction score
The whole team seemed discombobulated yesterday. That was the worst game I've ever seen Sam play.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching to me it just felt like they realized we weren't going to be able to go over the top, no real game breaker Wr(where was JJ Nelson) and Sam didn't seem interested in challenging them. So they sucked up the safeties and that made it harder to run, or throw dink and dunk.

The first part DJ looked pretty good but it just seemed like at some point Washington said ok we're going to make you do something else and Sam and the Wr's just had no answer.

One play that really stood out to me was a 3rd down double move by Chad Williams where he's open, but he's going to get hit by Swearinger. Sam just airmailed the ball over his head out of bounds. I don't think that was a throw got away from me throw I think that was a we're not going to win so I'm not going to put the young guy in a position to get his head taken off by Swearinger. In the long run probably a good move but at that point in the game it seemed very much like giving up to me.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The whole team seemed discombobulated yesterday. That was the worst game I've ever seen Sam play.

I take it you haven't watched virtually his entire career.

That wasn't a good game for him, but his play style was what one should expect.

EDIT: sorry, that was harsh. Bradford played awful, and I'd say Bradford is merely average or slightly below. Personally, I never was afraid of him as a Ram, I was bummed when they gave up on him. To me, he can move the ball decently between the 20's... but he closer the defense gets to the line of scrimmage, the more he struggles. He doesn't even try to beat teams over the top, he looks for quick reads and nothing else. Seeing as our receiving corps isn't exactly a 'yards after catch' group, I expect a lot of 4 yard completions on 3rd and long.

Last edited:

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
He looked super rusty to me on his reads and throws yesterday. Considering the man hasn't played a real NFL game in a year I think this is to be expected. We are likely a 7-9 team if we can get our poo together. If not we are probably staring down the barrel of a 4 win season.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You can't manage reps for a new QB in a new system with new personnel. You can't develop timing and rhythm when you aren't playing. The silver lining is that he is not our long term plan at QB. However, hopefully Wilks learns from this.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't manage reps for a new QB in a new system with new personnel. You can't develop timing and rhythm when you aren't playing. The silver lining is that he is not our long term plan at QB. However, hopefully Wilks learns from this.

Whatever he needs to learn, he should have already learned... if that makes any sense.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
From winners and losers on MSN.

Sam Bradford - The oft-injured veteran had trouble getting the ball to playmakers not named Larry Fitzgerald or David Johnson. Those two stars caught 12 passes for 106 yards between them. The rest of the team combined to catch eight passes for just 47 yards on 15 targets — an atrocious average of just 3.13 yards per attempt.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Let's wait for two or three games before we draw a conclusion. Game one was terrible, and hopefully game two will only be bad. And by game three we might be, "just okay".

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Whatever he needs to learn, he should have already learned... if that makes any sense.
I get what you are saying, but it takes time to learn how much rest to give vets. How to use and manage coordinators when implementing weekly game plans. How to balance reps and the wear and tear of football. How to work with a GM to make sure you have what you need to run your scheme. How to coach an entire roster vs a unit or position group.

As a first time head coach, these are tough to just innately know how to do. I feel that Wilks should be given time to figure them out, but I also feel like I will know if Wilks will by the end of the season. He said the right things after the game yesterday, and we just have to hope that he is not saying the same things in week 15.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Between Wilkes(defensive coach) and McCoy(never should have been an OC, riding Peyton's coattails to this day) I don't think it's going to matter much who the Cardinals field at QB. This is just a small step removed from Jeff Fisher football.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
You know, I'm trying to give the team the benefit of the doubt--sort of --after yesterday's game. Considering the they have a brand new coach, a brand new quarterback , a brand new offense and a brand new defense, you have to assume there's going to be some struggles there.

With that being said, especially on defense, you would think they would institute some sort of hybrid to help the former 4-3 player assimilate into a 3-4.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Between Wilkes(defensive coach) and McCoy(never should have been an OC, riding Peyton's coattails to this day) I don't think it's going to matter much who the Cardinals field at QB. This is just a small step removed from Jeff Fisher football.
Prime reason why I’m against hiring DCs as HCs for the most part, especially when a rookie QB is on the wings. Wilks seems like a great guy, but he should have never been hired. I would relieve him of his duties after the season.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Good a time as any to post this cartoon. Anyone have a screenshot of Bradford in the pocket yesterday? Several headlight situations.

You must be registered for see images attach
:biglaugh:

So true! It seemed like every pass he was more concerned about getting his uncooked spaghetti thin legs hit than throwing an accurate pass & getting hit

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
So true! It seemed like every pass he was more concerned about getting his uncooked spaghetti thin legs hit than throwing an accurate pass & getting hit

Alex Smith on the other hand was always in control. I like his game. Not flashy, but gets the ball where it needs to be with no turnovers.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Prime reason why I’m against hiring DCs as HCs for the most part, especially when a rookie QB is on the wings. Wilks seems like a great guy, but he should have never been hired. I would relieve him of his duties after the season.

Belicheck was a DC for years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson