Maybe Sam Bradford isn't even the QB he used to be..

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Accuracy was there. Velocity wasn't. WRs were hung out to dry and responded by dropping a majority of throws.

Gotta wonder- Was Bradford taking something off his passes to compensate for stone-handed WRs?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fake news.

career passer rating of 84, competition percentage at 61% and has a W-L record of 34-46.

He is who we thought he was. A mediocre at best, journeyman QB on his fourth team in five years.

Saying he's anything other than that is faker news than Trump having a bigger inauguration crowd than Obama.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
What surprises me is that Bradford didn't show better. He has to know his next job is on the line and if there's one thing that Bradford has been great at, it's setting up that next contract. I really wonder where his head is right now? If he's going to stink it up that badly, he may have retirement on his mind.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Mike Tomlin, Pete Carrol, Ron Rivera. It's not that hard to find successful defensive coaches of recent vintage. Heck, howzabout Mike Zimmer? That guy's pretty good!

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Mike Tomlin, Pete Carrol, Ron Rivera. It's not that hard to find successful defensive coaches of recent vintage. Heck, howzabout Mike Zimmer? That guy's pretty good!
I’m pretty sure there’s been more defensive minded HC who have won the Lombardi than offensive guys.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
McCoy is on a two year contract for a reason, he is either good for the new QB (which they didn't have when he signed) or he is replaced with someone that will be a better fit when we have that QB and another year of adjusting the roster. Bradford was given two years as well.

These guys are insurance policies, if they succeed - great! But really, if they prevent our youth from getting exposed too soon, it's money well spent. We can drop both after this year if we want.

Reaction score
career passer rating of 84, competition percentage at 61% and has a W-L record of 34-46.

He is who we thought he was. A mediocre at best, journeyman QB on his fourth team in five years.

Saying he's anything other than that is faker news than Trump having a bigger inauguration crowd than Obama.

Over the last several years he's been one of the most efficient & accurate QB's in the league. Yesterday he was neither. He stunk up the place & looked out of sorts & inaccurate. To say that's the way he's always been is wrong.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Over the last several years he's been one of the most efficient & accurate QB's in the league. Yesterday he was neither. He stunk up the place & looked out of sorts & inaccurate. To say that's the way he's always been is wrong.
What’s he won? If he was so good in philly, why did they trade up to nab Wentz?

I remember everyone lampooning the Vikings for giving up a #1 for him.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What surprises me is that Bradford didn't show better. He has to know his next job is on the line and if there's one thing that Bradford has been great at, it's setting up that next contract. I really wonder where his head is right now? If he's going to stink it up that badly, he may have retirement on his mind.

You really think that is the issue? Not that he's never been a downfield passer and he's a 'Charlie Checkdown QB.. and that type of QB tends to look really bad when playing from behind.

Good accuracy, bad yards per attempt, bad at getting the ball in the endzone. That's his entire career, that's who we saw.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He completed 58% of his passes... if 2 or 3 more of his 3 yard passes are completed it gives him a very accurate stat line for the day... granted it doesn't change the outcome at all, but... seriously, this is who he is.

He might be a little more punch drunk after yet another injury, but he's never commanded a decent offense, even in his best season the Vikings had both poor scoring and poor passing yardage.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
You really think that is the issue? Not that he's never been a downfield passer and he's a 'Charlie Checkdown QB.. and that type of QB tends to look really bad when playing from behind.

Good accuracy, bad yards per attempt, bad at getting the ball in the endzone. That's his entire career, that's who we saw.
I've looked long and hard at his career and while I agree that he isn't aggressive by nature, under the right circumstances he will push the ball down the field. Using the Minnesota example and to play devil's advocate for Bradford, that team actually had a really shaky line and little to no running game. It was a good team with a really good defense but their o-line had it's problems and Dalvin Cook was injured for most of the year. Diggs was coming into his own and Theilen became a breakout star.

But they didn't have a running game and a lot of those short passes were by design not by checkdown. So, once everything came together and Bradford and his personnel had a season and offseason to work together they came out pretty hot in 2017. Bradford's TD%(7.6) and ypa(10.2) were both very good. We can't extrapolate but it does warrant wondering whether he would have kept those types of numbers up had he stayed healthy? He was in a system that he was not only familiar with but also comfortable with and it was clicking.

He hasn't had that luxury in his career so there is the possibility that that sort of continuity would help with his numbers. Comfort and familiarity with the Cardinals is something that I've been concerned about with Bradford. He rarely starts fast but I'd hoped with Fitz and DJ that he could lean on them at least in the beginning. Apparently not.

My point is, Bradford can be aggressive once he gets comfortable but he's rarely comfortable. I was pretty disappointed with this first game. I suppose it's understandable since it's a new offense, new QB, new receivers, hurt TE, etc.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This game will be telling. If they lose but play decent football I will be happy. If they play like they did last week, I don't think anyone will be happy.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Outside of his 2 game season last year, he's never posted a winning season as a starter in any year of his career.
Let's be fair though. The majority of his career was with Jeff Fisher and Steve Spagnuolo and a host of nobody OC's and personnel. It doesn't excuse everything but it does make a difference. Look at Goff in '16 compared to '17. Sadly, I think Bradford is back in that type of situation. There is some top talent on the Cardinals but McCoy's scheme and playcalling is atrocious. I don't see how he's going to put Bradford in a position to succeed. Bradford has warts but he can be productive if used properly. McCoy won't be able to do that IMO.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Let's be fair though. The majority of his career was with Jeff Fisher and Steve Spagnuolo and a host of nobody OC's and personnel. It doesn't excuse everything but it does make a difference. Look at Goff in '16 compared to '17. Sadly, I think Bradford is back in that type of situation. There is some top talent on the Cardinals but McCoy's scheme and playcalling is atrocious. I don't see how he's going to put Bradford in a position to succeed. Bradford has warts but he can be productive if used properly. McCoy won't be able to do that IMO.
If we all just wish hard enough, Sam Bradford can finally emerge as the top 12 QB he’s never really shown himself to be. Many top QBs reveal themselves after their 30th birthday and 80th start.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What terrifies me is that Bradford and McCoy are in the QB room that is mentoring Josh Rosen.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He looked super rusty to me on his reads and throws yesterday. Considering the man hasn't played a real NFL game in a year I think this is to be expected. We are likely a 7-9 team if we can get our **** together. If not we are probably staring down the barrel of a 4 win season.
...which really wouldn’t be the worst outcome if it ends up with Nick Bosa on the roster for next season.

Take a page out of the Suns book and tank the season.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
...which really wouldn’t be the worst outcome if it ends up with Nick Bosa on the roster for next season.

If we are terrible, it puts us in a unique position to really build our defensive line.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

This is only valuable if it works. It's not like the Suns are going to be good this season. They're going to suck.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose