MadCards 2020 Cardinals Mock Draft V2.0

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my 2020 Cardinals Mock Draft V1.0 I had the Cardinals selecting RT Jedrick Wills with their first round pick. I still like Wills as an option with their #8 overall pick if he is still available and they decide to go OL. However there is still one other player who I would love to see the Cardinals select with the #8 overall pick.

You must be registered for see images attach

Round 1) CeeDee Lamb - WR - Oklahoma

6'2" 200lbs

The Cardinals need an instant impact from their 2020 1st round pick. If they take an OL it would take at least a year or two before they will be able to contribute. Especially considering there may be not much if any offseason due to Covid-19. It takes time for OL to gel and you can't do that through virtual workouts. With that said the Cardinals take an instant impact player who K1 already has chemistry with and who is already familiar with KK offense and terminology. This will give K1 Two Impact WRs for him to grow with over the next 5 seasons. It will also give Lamb a year to learn how to be a pro from one of the greatest in Fitzgerald.

Round 3) Rashard Lawrence - DT - LSU

6'2" 308lbs

Another stud DL from LSU who decided to stay in school for his senior year. I remember watching him reek havoc against UCF when I attended the Fiesta Bowl a couple of years ago where he was awarded Defensive player of the game. Not only is this kid a stud player, but he also is a team leader who is well respected in the locker room. The fans will love him as well.

You must be registered for see images

Round 4 Pick 1) Kenny Willekes - OLB - Mich St

6'3" 264lbs

Another future fan favorite. This kid gives it all on every play. He has a non stop motor and is relentless. As a rookie he will be in the frame on every Special Teams play.

You must be registered for see images

Round 4 pick 2) Charlie Heck - OT - N. Carolina

6'8" 311lbs

Heck has the bloodlines of a NFL player and is a monster of a man. Heck gives OL coach Sean Kugler a young swing tackle he can mold over the next couple of years.

Round 6) Michael "Truck" Warren II - RB - Cincinnati

5'9" 226lbs

Warren is the power runner that the Cardinals currently lack. He is a physical runner as demonstrated by his nickname "Truck". He will give the Cardinals a sturdy back for short yardage and goalline situations.

Round 7) JR Reed - S - Georgia

6'1" 202lbs

His physical numbers are not impressive which will cause him to fall in the draft farther than expected. However he is an instinctual player who uses his football intelligence to succeed.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the write up.

Not a fan at all though.

Also, why is it assumed it will take a “year or two” for a OL to contribute, but not Lamb?

Because of the limited time rookies will most likely have to work in person due to Covid-19. Wills it the only OL who I think has the skills to come in and start after maybe a year. He is the only OL I would consider at #8. I just don't think any rookie OL will get enough reps before the season starts to be effective this season.

Lamb already has a connection with Murray. Plus factor in that KK incorporated OKlahoma's verbiage into the offense will make it easy for Lamb jump right in. It's a very unique situation.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of Lawrence personally, but not bad in round 3. He just doesnt look like he will be able to have either that blend of power and quicks or dominating strength that is needed to be a good IDL.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because of the limited time rookies will most likely have to work in person due to Covid-19. Wills it the only OL who I think has the skills to come in and start after maybe a year. He is the only OL I would consider at #8. I just don't think any rookie OL will get enough reps before the season starts to be effective this season.

Lamb already has a connection with Murray. Plus factor in that KK incorporated OKlahoma's verbiage into the offense will make it easy for Lamb jump right in. It's a very unique situation.
Lamb had that connection with Murray against the Big 12, not against NFL defenses. I doubt it’s going to be that easy like everyone that keeps reiterating it. Lamb is going to face a lot more press-man than he did at OU. He’s going to adjusted, too. More than someone like Jeudy.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lamb had that connection with Murray against the Big 12, not against NFL defenses. I doubt it’s going to be that easy like everyone that keeps reiterating it. Lamb is going to face a lot more press-man than he did at OU. He’s going to adjusted, too. More than someone like Jeudy.

Yes there will be an adjustment to the pro game. Lamb will have to deal with press coverage and complex NFL defenses with better athletes. All players have to deal with stuff like that.

However the timing between a QB and a WR doesn't happen instantly. That is where one of the benefits of playing together in the past comes into play. Not to mention the level of trust that they would already have developed.

Lamb and Murray are close friends. There will be no awkward first meetings and getting to know you. They could start tossing the ball together the minute Lamb gets off the plane.

There is usually a big learning curve for College WRs making the jump to the NFL as they learn a new Pro system. Lamb would be going from an Air Raid at Oklahoma to an Air Raid in Arizona with Oklahoma verbiage. So that transition would be easier.

There is literally no one else in the draft that would have this advantage. All this in a season where there likely may be very little pre-season to get ready.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
With no trade, this is a very solid draft that I would like to see for us:

Round 1 Pick 8: Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia
Round 3 Pick 8: Jordan Elliott, DT, Missouri
Round 4 Pick 8: Jordyn Brooks, ILB/OLB, Texas Tech
Round 4 Pick 25: Harrison Bryant, TE, FAU
Round 6 Pick 23: Reggie Robinson II, CB, Tulsa
Round 7 Pick 8: Darrynton Evans, RB, App. St.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Any O-Line man drafted in the top ten is gonna start from day one

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I like the Michael Warren pick.

Not much else.

Appreciate the time you put into this.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice work, looks good to me. I like taking an OT in round 3 or 4 that can be developed by Kugler.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Coach Kugler: "Kid, you're good, and I think you could be something special at this level, but for now you line-up behind Marcus Gilbert, pay attention and learn. Experience matters under the big tent."

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Probably true and it would be a huge mistake IMO. Wills playing RT would probably have the most success if he was forced to start from day one. However building continuity and trust from his fellow linemen would take most of the season.

The other top OL prospects will really struggle if forced to start from day one. Wirfs, Betcon and Thomas will really struggle with the multiple fronts and stunts that DC will throw at them. It could get their QB killed if they are forced to start from day one.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Probably true and it would be a huge mistake IMO. Wills playing RT would probably have the most success if he was forced to start from day one. However building continuity and trust from his fellow linemen would take most of the season.

The other top OL prospects will really struggle if forced to start from day one. Wirfs, Betcon and Thomas will really struggle with the multiple fronts and stunts that DC will throw at them. It could get their QB killed if they are forced to start from day one.
I think Wirfs and Becton will be fine as they both have a dominant trait they can rely on. Orlando Brown Jr is not as touted of a prospect as Becton is and made the transition fairly seamlessly because of his freakish size.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Coach Kugler: "Kid, you're good, and I think you could be something special at this level, but for now you line-up behind Marcus Gilbert, pay attention and learn. Experience matters under the big tent."
Is this a problem when Gilbert's gonna play three games or so before suffering another consecutive injury?