Let’s Talk About Lamb

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I want the best player. I don’t want an apparent surplus at one position to stop us from taking a particular player.

whether we select a DL, OT, CB, WR, LB or edge rusher, I don’t care. A player at any one of those positions will improve the roster. Maybe one more than another. But the best wr would be better that a bust OT.
The best WR that can't see the field or impact the team is not better than a very good OT. Can't impact the game if you don't play.

Don't take this to mean I want a subpar OT over a great WR, but we have no current guarantees about these guys, and we do have a guarantee that Lamb or whoever is going to be - at best - the 3rd WR. An OT will compete for a starting position right away.

Not to mention the long term value. This team has players we haven't given a chance at WR that are reasonably highly drafted, and will still be here on the cheap next year, whereas we could be looking at a full OL rebuild in 2021 since we have expiring contracts and are talent-poor.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
They rarely play with their college QB. That changes the equation dramatically.
Don't get me wrong Harry, I was super excited about Lamb before the acquisition of Hopkins. We just can't invest this much in one position when it's going to hurt us elsewhere.

I think in a perfect world, one where we're like, going to the Super Bowl and somehow have become the league's #1 offense, there's only enough balls to get Lamb up to 500 yards or so, barring major injury.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They rarely play with their college QB. That changes the equation dramatically.

Lamb knows the offense, the QB and is the top at YAC in the draft, these are all major factors, when you are selecting much rather take a gamble on having the top Wideouts in the NFL to pair with Murrray, thanet grab a RT or Guard at 8, that was a combine wonder, that many feel came out to early.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Lamb knows the offense, the QB and is the top at YAC in the draft, these are all major factors, when you are selecting much rather take a gamble on having the top Wideouts in the NFL to pair with Murrray, thanet grab a RT or Guard at 8, that was a combine wonder, that many feel came out to early.
Why are you so myopically focused on Wirfs? It could be Wills, Becton, Thomas...

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong Harry, I was super excited about Lamb before the acquisition of Hopkins. We just can't invest this much in one position when it's going to hurt us elsewhere.

I think in a perfect world, one where we're like, going to the Super Bowl and somehow have become the league's #1 offense, there's only enough balls to get Lamb up to 500 yards or so, barring major injury.

I know I'm not a draft expert and boy there is a lot of contradictions out there but if I had to bet on someone being an impact for our team it would most likely be Lamb, especially after next year. Fitz should be retired or getting progressively worse.. Wirf may take a whole year to even become good at being Right Tackle and I think there is a decent chance he will flame out entirely or mediocre, I don't feel that way about Lamb. I just want someone solid and low risk, Wirfs seems high risk, and Wills so many scouts seem to dislike but he seems the consistent to me... Again I would like to go oline but this group is just not impressing me. Lamb look really, really solid to me.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I know I'm not a draft expert and boy there is a lot of contradictions out there but if I had to bet on someone being an impact for our team it would most likely be Lamb, especially after next year. Fitz should be retired or getting progressively worse.. Wirf may take a whole year to even become good at being Right Tackle and I think there is a decent chance he will flame out entirely or mediocre, I don't feel that way about Lamb. I just want someone solid and low risk, Wirfs seems high risk, and Wills so many scouts seem to dislike but he seems the consistent to me... Again I would like to go oline but this group is just not impressing me. Lamb look really, really solid to me.
When's the last time you thought an offensive lineman looked elite?

I think people just don't spend a lot of time paying attention to these guys because they're not sexy picks.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How could you not want Hopkins 2.0, to be teamed with Hopkins and Fitz, RT is waaaaay easier to address than grabbing a potential WR Superstar that already has awesome chemistry with Murray!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
When's the last time you thought an offensive lineman looked elite?

I think people just don't spend a lot of time paying attention to these guys because they're not sexy picks.

Joe Thomas was pretty elite.. I admit I don't watch them as often.. I notice when they are getting killed though. I'd like one that you can just plug in and not have to get nervous that your qb is going to be killed.. Most of our high draft picks with olinemen have given me that feeling and none of these guys do either.. except for maybe Wills..

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If you could show me some tape where Lamb is not doing very well, that would be helpful.. we have a lot of the olinemen...

The most common gripes I see of Lamb are
(1) He is inconsistent at getting clean releases
(2) He is an inconsistent blocker
(3) He ran a very simple route tree against B12 defenses

It’s probably hard to find “bad tape” for a guy that played in an elite offense against trashy defenses.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Joe Thomas was pretty elite.. I admit I don't watch them as often.. I notice when they are getting killed though. I'd like one that you can just plug in and not have to get nervous that your qb is going to be killed.. Most of our high draft picks with olinemen have given me that feeling and none of these guys do either.. except for maybe Wills..
Joe Thomas was 13 years ago.

We won't see a guy like him again, most likely.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
How could you not want Hopkins 2.0, to be teamed with Hopkins and Fitz, RT is waaaaay easier to address than grabbing a potential WR Superstar that already has awesome chemistry with Murray!

All of the recent superstar WRs in this league have come from the 2nd round or later.

It's way easier to find a WR than an offensive lineman that's elite.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I hope you're right.. If I could "choose" who to be elite I'd probably pick Wirf.. hopefully he is our right tackle for 15 yrs...

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In
All of the recent superstar WRs in this league have come from the 2nd round or later.

Your talking elite LTs, PFF has him as a RT or a guard. RT or Guard are a dime a dozen, even
PFF calls RT a glorified Guard, I am not saying take one, I am saying take one in the 3rd. A RT or Guard is not worth the 8th pick. That Murray and Gilbert moved means no RT at 8, just not happening

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

First Round WRs who are dominant:

2013 D. Hopkins #1 performer from that draft

2014 M. Evans #1 performer from that draft
2014 OBJ #2 performer from that draft
2014 B Cooks #4 performer from that draft

2015 A Cooper #1 performer from that draft

2018 DJ Moore #1 performer from that draft
2018 C Ridley #3 performer from that draft

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
In

Your talking elite LTs, PFF has him as a RT or a guard. RT or Guard are a dime a dozen, even
PFF calls RT a glorified Guard, I am not saying take one, I am saying take one in the 3rd. A RT or Guard is not worth the 8th pick. That Murray and Gilbert moved means no RT at 8, just not happening

No, I'm talking elite RTs or Guards. This team has been atrocious on the OL for its entire history in AZ. We've tried to fix it a million times with band-aids, and only one has ever made a Pro Bowl for us. Mike Iupati. He was also ridiculously expensive, constantly injured, and not worth it.

Post all of the highlight videos you want man, it doesn't make it any different that this team eventually has to address the offensive line. You're too caught up in the flash. No teams with top WRs are going deep into the playoffs or winning the Super Bowl.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why are folks acting like Lamb is immune to busting as well?

He is a blue chip prospect at WR, hes the most complete WR in the draft of great WRs, some are saying Ruggs, but I dont see the Cards going that vertical..some say Tuggs is Hill 2.0 and Lamb is Hopkins 2.0.

The O line man just arent Pace, Ogden, Fisher all of them seem to be RTs, that's not a top of the first pick.

the Oline available all have question Mark's and are deemed RTs. Nobody want to grab a RT that high.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
First Round WRs who are dominate:

2013 D. Hopkins #1 performer from that draft

2014 M. Evans #1 performer from that draft
2014 OBJ #2 performer from that draft
2014 B Cooks #4 performer from that draft

2015 A Cooper #1 performer from that draft

2018 DJ Moore #1 performer from that draft
2018 C Ridley #3 performer from that draft
BIM: Dominant*

You have to go back 5 years to find a true #1 superstar. Ridley isn't one yet. DJ Moore is good, but not elite - plus he was drafted at the back half of the draft, and isn't as good as Courtland Sutton, who is a better performer than him.

Meanwhile, in the question mark, mediocre or bad category in the first round, just since 2015, you have:

Marquise Brown (of course he is TBD)
N'Keal Harry
Corey Davis - #5 Overall
Mike Williams - #7 Overall
John Ross - #9 Overall
Corey Coleman
Will Fuller
Josh Doctson
Laquon Treadwell
Kevin White - #7 overall
Devante Parker
Nelson Agholor
Breshad Perriman
Phillip Dorsett

...Lots more busts or poor players than success stories in recent history.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson