Let’s Talk About Lamb

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Denny was on the record that Fitz was #1 on our board, we weren’t taking a QB unless he was gone.

I don’t think we can complain too much. That draft set up up for our Super Bowl run.

There's a good chance we would have had several Super Bowl runs in they had taken Rivers or Roethlisberger instead of Fitzgerald.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Yeah roster is pretty set right now but a lot of 1 year deals.
That's the problem with a multitude of one year deals, you are always needing to plug holes when these one year deals move on to multi year deals with another team. I don't think it's a great way to build a team for the long run. A one year deal here and there to patch a spot until you fill it next year through the draft or FA is fine but when you start doing it as the norm you are going to run into problems. everyone talks about continuity but you never get there if you are constantly plugging holes with one year deals.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What holes are you on about? Our starting lineup is decent atm

How short some people's memories are.

Both our starting tackles have missed about 40% of games the last 3 years. The only depth we have with any starts is Murray.

Our backup Guard is now starting center.

We have 4 cornerback on the roster. One of which missed all last season.

We have 3 safeties total. Two of which are sophomores.

Our #3 linebacker is Vallejo.

We have 2 starting OLBs then Reddick. That's it.

There's a very thin veneer you could call a starting 22 if everyone is healthy. Several of them are easily upgradeable. A lot of them have extensive injury histories.

Jordan Hicks for example has never played 2 consecutive seasons without missing major time.

WR and QB are the only rooms on the team that don't need work. You could draft any other position at #8 and it's a major upgrade.

The roster is still weak AF.

In the mean time Sweezy, Drake, Gilbert, Murray, P2, Campbell, Peters, Lee, Budda, Hundley, Bullard, Coley and Reddick are all FA next year.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The issue is just as it was with Rosen, sunk cost fallacy

We made investments and thus we must see return on investments before making similar investments.

Its one of the hardest things for people to get over. I believe that the more conservative you are by nature, the more tied you are to sunk costs.

And the more impulsive you are, the more likely you are to make a series of bad buying decisions. Sunk costs are continuing to pile up for Keim. He's been chasing them by way of drafting two first-round QBs in consecutive seasons, trading away assets, and signing expensive FA on the open market.

If Keim is continuously needing to chase bad bets with large assets, it says a lot about not only his inability to draft, but also his scouts inability to evaluate collegiate athletes.

Keim just signed his first first-round pick to a multi-year deal last month. He's been a GM since 2013.

TJ

Reaction score
I like Lamb. I like Ruggs. I like Jeudy. Before Hopkins, any would've been fine at #8.

After Hopkins, it's dumb to consider any WR in the first two days.

There are too many holes on this team to keep reinvesting high priced assets at the same position. We drafted three WRs last season for a reason and one of them hasnt even had a chance to prove himself.

We should be happy that the only WR competition is for who's the fourth best WR in the room. That shows good depth at the position. Plus, shouldn't we be able to trust Murray's ability to elevate the production of his WRs? Rodgers, Brady, and other top-tier QBs have done this for ages.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I like Lamb. I like Ruggs. I like Jeudy. Before Hopkins, any would've been fine at #8.

After Hopkins, it's dumb to consider any WR in the first two days.

There are too many holes on this team to keep reinvesting high priced assets at the same position. We drafted three WRs last season for a reason and one of them hasnt even had a chance to prove himself.

We should be happy that the only WR competition is for who's the fourth best WR in the room. That shows good depth at the position. Plus, shouldn't we be able to trust Murray's ability to elevate the production of his WRs? Rodgers, Brady, and other top-tier QBs have done this for ages.

Chiefs have a bevy of riches and they capitalized on a cheap qb contract.

Just like the Cardinals should do.

Also Rodgers has always had great wrs. I don't remember an elite qb not having a great wr corp outside of Brady and that's more a function of the type of offense they run

TJ

Reaction score
Chiefs have a bevy of riches and they capitalized on a cheap qb contract.

Just like the Cardinals should do.

Also, Rodgers has always had great wrs. I don't remember an elite qb not having a great wr corp outside of Brady and that's more a function of the type of offense they run

Mahomes has Hill, Kelce and a bunch of slop; and none of his WRs eclipsed 1000 yards last season; and they won the Super Bowl.

Guys like Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb left A-Rodg and Green Bay and went on to put up pedestrian numbers by comparison.

Tom Brady played with a few great WRs like Moss and Cooks over his 20-year career, but otherwise, his WR corp has been pretty average.

If you trust Murray, you should trust that he can continue to make Hopkins an elite receiver while spreading the wealth to other WRs. Fitz and Kirk are great supplements to Hopkins. The impulse to add to that is ludicrous when you have holes in key positions, such as pretty much every position on defense, offensive line depth, TE, and RB

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Harry, all I would add to your analysis about our offense, last season, was that our game plan was based on quick release passes. So even when KM WASN'T running for his life, he EXPECTED to be running for his life, hence the ball came out sooner than it had to. That is why I think that our offense will look different this year. JMO.
Assuming you don’t endorse Lamb, you’re saying starting a rookie RT with our current group of receivers, Hopkins included, means this team is going to start using an offense that looks different from last year. I like Hopkins but his yards per catch have been declining. I’m expecting a similar offense though Hopkins will mean more completions.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we go WR at #8, then next year we'll need a first rounder to replace the retiring Larry Fitzgerald.

Not quite.

The only reason you take a WR at #8 is if you believe that they are far superior to Christian Kirk. You are basically taking Fitz's replacement this year rather than next year.

Kirk factors because next year he is up for an extension. So your choices are to draft a new #2 receiver or be prepared to pay Kirk as your #2 WR

I don't have any reason to believe Kirk can be a #2.

What I struggle with is this equation

Is Lamb > Any of the top 4 OL + Any of the 6-10 WRs

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we go WR at #8, then next year we'll need a first rounder to replace the retiring Larry Fitzgerald.

If we draft a WR at #8 or in a slight trade down, I would hope the Cardinals are not drafting a WR in the first round in next year's draft.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Not necessarily, there is a nice quantity and quality group of WRs who are going to be available in 2021. Now that you have Hopkins, you don't need another #1 WR. Curtis Samuel, Allen Robinson, Kenny Golladay, Marvin Jones, Kenny Stills, Will Fuller, TY Hilton, Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, JuJu Smith Schuster, Chris Godwin, and Cooper Kupp are all available in 2021. Any one of these would compliment Hopkins.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not necessarily, there is a nice quantity and quality group of WRs who are going to be available in 2021. Now that you have Hopkins, you don't need another #1 WR. Curtis Samuel, Allen Robinson, Kenny Golladay, Marvin Jones, Kenny Stills, Will Fuller, TY Hilton, Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, JuJu Smith Schuster, Chris Godwin, and Cooper Kupp are all available in 2021. Any one of these would compliment Hopkins.
Omg ty hilton and Hopkins would be amazing than with Murray!!!

Hopkins is gonna help attract fa wrs here

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And who won it? Big Ben.

we’ve been looking for a QB for 15 years. I mean yes we got a hall of famer and that’s super hard to knock but I’ll take the hall of fame QB over the hall of fame WR everyday

There's a good chance we would have had several Super Bowl runs in they had taken Rivers or Roethlisberger instead of Fitzgerald.

Eh. I think what really hurts was taking Rolle over Rodgers the following year. That was the year to fix the QB spot. Aaron could have sat behind Kurt for a few years like with Favre.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have already explained how picking a WR at #8 enhances your future cap flexibility instead of restricting it.

I just don’t see how sinking so much money into a secondary position is a good thing for your team

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eh. I think what really hurts was taking Rolle over Rodgers the following year. That was the year to fix the QB spot. Aaron could have sat behind Kurt for a few years like with Favre.

that’s different a lot of teams passed on Rodgers.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Assuming you don’t endorse Lamb, you’re saying starting a rookie RT with our current group of receivers, Hopkins included, means this team is going to start using an offense that looks different from last year. I like Hopkins but his yards per catch have been declining. I’m expecting a similar offense though Hopkins will mean more completions.
It's a group that possesses both considerable depth and talent. But as ESPN's Josh Weinfuss reported, over the past three years, Arizona receivers have averaged just 11.7 yards per catch. In 2019, Arizona wideouts managed just 8.9 air yards per target—last in the NFL.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2883619

I think the hope is that Hopkins gets the YAC we've been missing. Lamb would help with that as well. However, maybe with better protection Kyler would be willing to let some routes develop further/Kliff call longer developing pass plays.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not quite.

The only reason you take a WR at #8 is if you believe that they are far superior to Christian Kirk. You are basically taking Fitz's replacement this year rather than next year.

Kirk factors because next year he is up for an extension. So your choices are to draft a new #2 receiver or be prepared to pay Kirk as your #2 WR

I don't have any reason to believe Kirk can be a #2.

What I struggle with is this equation

Is Lamb > Any of the top 4 OL + Any of the 6-10 WRs

Why would you draft a WR2 with a top 10 pick? Why would Lamb want to come here to be a WR2?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
@TJ in here dropping some truth bombs.

Lamb advocates have been playing too many video games and not watching how real NFL teams win. If you've gotta trash your picks from the previous year and only 1st round picks ever have any chance at being good players on your team, something is wrong.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose