Let’s Talk About Lamb

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Harry, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Harry

Harry ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer

Wow! I keep seeing the oddest things being posted. Frankly any of the 3 top receivers help the offense. I’m not, for the purpose of this post, arguing he’s a better pick than Simmons or a RT. I’m saying Lamb is the best choice among the receivers. Let’s start with speed. I believe in what I see. This is not a speed offense. It’s more a catch & run. I’m certain people will argue that Murray didn’t have enough time to throw deep. I’m saying even when he had time he often threw 10-12 yard passes. He can throw deep and had 2 speed receivers but they were seldom targets and even then not on deep throws. This is a YAC offense. I thought Murray was only moderately accurate in terms of ball placement. Lamb’s ability to catch most anything he reaches makes him the perfect WR for a young QB. Ruggs dominates in one area, speed. He probably could spread the field, but envisioning him running numerous deep routes is not a likely scenario. Jeudy is the best route runner, which means he gets more separation. That only applies if he can run most of the route. When you compare both Ruggs & Jeudy the fact that is that Sabin built the passing game around Smith & Jeudy, not Ruggs. Compared to Ruggs, Jeudy had nearly twice as many receptions, twice as many yards and more TDs. Ruggs is a fine receiver who will help a team, but he’s not the best in this group. Jeudy is also a fine receiver but he won’t be as productive as Lamb in this offense. Put him on the Pats, he’d be awesome.

Lamb unquestionably played against easier defenses, but he didn’t just succeed, he dominated. His YAC numbers were the best in college ball. He spent the 2019 offseason building strength when he realized that would enhance his skillset. It showed in his play and also demonstrated a level of self-awareness rarely found in a young player.

Finally, in this case familiarity breeds success. There is no substitute for QB-WR rapport. This includes reading which way the receiver will break on a route with options; judging the receiver’s speed accurately when leading them to an open space or simply knowing where they likes the ball depending on the coverage. All these elements lead to a higher degree of passing success. Adding another dangerous receiver to the passing pattern greatly stresses the defense. How many teams have 3 good cover corners. If Kirk steps up how do defenses cover the 4 receiver patterns? If you want to improve the defense, keep them off the field with longer Murray drives. Lamb may not be the best answer of who to take at 8, but he’d be a sound choice and really add to Murray’s confidence. Here’s a link to a decent comparison of the receivers.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...ed-by-trait-route-running-yac-speed-and-more/

Dougmo, vince56, MartinD and 13 others like this.
  2. Finito

Finito Registered

I usually don’t trust WR that come from offenses like that. Usually just get to run wide open never face press coverage.

Lamb, Juedy or Ruggs all are alright but none are spectacular none of them are Fitz, Julio, Megatron.

Ouchie-Z-Clown and Solar7 like this.
  3. slanidrac16

slanidrac16 Registered User Contributor

solar comment in 3..2..1...

Cardsfaninlouky and daves like this.
  4. CardinalCovfefe

CardinalCovfefe Registered

There is also a very real possibility that they are all so-so in their 1st year pro. Wouldn't surprise me a bit. A lot of these folks that are wanting those guys imagine them looking the exact same in the NFL as they were in college.... Maybe. In 2021.

5. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

The issue is just as it was with Rosen, sunk cost fallacy

We made investments and thus we must see return on investments before making similar investments.

Its one of the hardest things for people to get over. I believe that the more conservative you are by nature, the more tied you are to sunk costs.

6. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

I like Lamb, and think he's very talented. Before we acquired Hopkins, I would have been very excited about adding him to this offense. Of course I can see the allure of having four bonafide WRs, but the fact of the matter is, I can't possibly endorse it when there are glaring trouble spots.

Added in to all of that is that it's not like Lamb is a sure thing. None of the WRs are. It'll be laughable if we draft Lamb/Jeudy/Ruggs, and they turn into Corey Davis, Mike Williams, or John Ross, while our defense and offensive line continue to get exploited in a division tailor-made to rush the passer and run the ball.

7. Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green Registered User

But the folks at Bama say Jeudy is on par if not better than Julio and they did not say that about Ridley in the draft :)

8. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

It's not even about sunk costs, it's just about building a balanced roster. As @Finito says, these WRs aren't Fitz/Julio/Megatron. We're not talking about clearly transcendent talent. These guys are nice-to-haves in a world where we have major needs.

9. Finito

Finito Registered

NO THEY DO NOT.

Julio Jones was a monster a 6’3 220lbs and ran 4.39. The package was 5 picks including the following years 1st for Jones so the Falcons could move up and take him.

nobody on earth is giving that for Juedy who’s 6’1 193 and ran a 4.45

I don’t think you understand how good Julio Jones was or what kind of physical freak he was and I hate using that word

TaylorSwift, WisconsinCard and daves like this.
  10. az jam

az jam Registered User

Good stuff Harry always enjoy your analysis. I like Lamb and if they do go WR, he would be my first choice. None of us have any idea on what they will do in the draft. They will let it come to them at #8 as you just don't know who will fall. Keim did a very good job in free agency plugging up many of the holes that we had so in the draft he really has many options including a trade down for more picks. I'm just glad that they are keeping the draft on schedule.

cardncubfan likes this.
  11. Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green Registered User

Don't get riled at me, scream at the guys at Bama who threw that out there prior to all this draft talk really got rolling. One does not forget such exclamations haha. Trust me, I agree he just can't be another Julio (again my brother is a Falcon fan) so I am not buying what they are preaching or shoveling but it does make one think that his route running and ability to catch passes might carry some merit to being special enough though and speed is not everything while one can only look at Fitzgerald and Rice for proof... Jeudy does not have to be Julio Jones to warrant drafting in the top ten

12. Finito

Finito Registered

mans he might not even be top ten. he ain’t Fitz either not by a long shot.

13. Carolinacacti

Carolinacacti Registered

At 8 I take Lamb if Simmons is gone and it looks like he will be gone. Great write up Harry

DevonCardsFan and Harry like this.
  14. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

Keim’s ego is sky high right now so I’m expecting something irrational.

15. juza76

juza76 Registered

So, better showing him this draft and the ego should be falling down to earth

upload_2020-3-28_10-16-0.png