leonard Davis

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I reported a few weeks back that BIG had shown up for off-season workouts.

That report was in error.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
MJ said he is working out with his personal trainer.

Hopefully he comes to camp in shape.

MJ also stated that the players were a little taken aback because the new strength coach uses the same techinques as the old one.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
I reported a few weeks back that BIG had shown up for off-season workouts. That report was in error.

Skkorp:

Gee, the new coach really lit a fire under Leonard Davis' substantial butt, didn't he? Don't expect a pig to fly, and you won't be disappointed...

WC

danny l

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
So? What's the story? Aren't the off-season workouts for the players that live there in Arizona? If I recall correctly Leonard lived in Texas. It wouldn't seem to make sense to me for Leonard to fly in to Phoenix to work out when he can work out at home. The key issue is wheter he actually is working out, staying strong and in shape.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
MJ did say a couple of weeks ago that Davis is benching close to 450 pounds and working out more on weight training. As long as he comes into training camp with his weight down (around 355 pounds) it doesn't really matter if he's training here or in Texas.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
MJ did say a couple of weeks ago that Davis is benching close to 450 pounds and working out more on weight training. As long as he comes into training camp with his weight down (around 355 pounds) it doesn't really matter if he's training here or in Texas.

Good points. If he comes to the first organized team workout June 1st in the 350-370 range and fit. All is well IMO.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Denny's thing about working out here in town at the facility is that by spending the offseason hours with teammates, it better develops the cohesion you need during the season.

His thought is that if you just kind of know your teammates, its easy to rationalize "well, joe blow isnt very good, thats the reason we arent successfull"

But if you do know them and understand them, that rationalization is more difficult, and you are more likely to feel like YOU need to play better in order to not let them down.

C-MACK

Veteran
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
I reported a few weeks back that BIG had shown up for off-season workouts.

That report was in error.

Skkorp,
Did you see him at off season workouts with your own eyes? :wave:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The story I hear is that -

1. The reason many players stayed away during the Coach Mac was because they didn't like the weight training approach of our strength & conditioning coach. (i.e. this is an oversimplification, but I believe they wanted more explosion and less slow-release work).

2. When the new guy (Steve Wetzel?) came in, that was all supposed to change.

3.It didn't. Wetzel apparently is an advocate of the many of the same techniques used by his predecessor.

4. Ergo, several players have opted to stay with their own personal trainers and regimens.

Source - Jurecki a few weeks ago on FoxSportsAZ.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
The story I hear is that -

1. The reason many players stayed away during the Coach Mac was because they didn't like the weight training approach of our strength & conditioning coach. (i.e. this is an oversimplification, but I believe they wanted more explosion and less slow-release work).

2. When the new guy (Steve Wetzel?) came in, that was all supposed to change.

3.It didn't. Wetzel apparently is an advocate of the many of the same techniques used by his predecessor.

4. Ergo, several players have opted to stay with their own personal trainers and regimens.

Source - Jurecki a few weeks ago on FoxSportsAZ.
So whats the point of replacing a guy whose methods mirror the new strength coach? Just to bring his croonies? :shrug:

Harpo

All Hail the New Regime!
Reaction score
I've never understood that method of training for football. The NFL is based on explosive power, be it a quick release off the line, powering into an O-lineman, or running over a would be tackler. So instead of training for explosive strength the Cards have hired 2 strength coaches in a row who believe in the super slow-mo method of weightlifting. It seems kind of like a sprinter running marathon distances every day to improve his 100yd dash speed. It just doesn't make sense.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Whoever DG hires his here to make the team a winner. Not for any other reason every move DG makes is to make the Cards a winner.

Metal Militia

Veteran
Reaction score
Harpo said:
I've never understood that method of training for football. The NFL is based on explosive power, be it a quick release off the line, powering into an O-lineman, or running over a would be tackler. So instead of training for explosive strength the Cards have hired 2 strength coaches in a row who believe in the super slow-mo method of weightlifting. It seems kind of like a sprinter running marathon distances every day to improve his 100yd dash speed. It just doesn't make sense.

Hmmm. Steve Wetzel worked for Green in Minnesota for a long time and they went to the playoffs a ton. I don't think that the "Super Slo-Mo" style is the problem, it was the football training.

100%CardsFan

100% embarrassed
Reaction score
view.php

Is he the only one not practicing with the team?

danny l

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
For as long as I can remember coaches have wanted the players to make the city where the team is located be the home for players on the team, then they could all do the "team" thing together. Players have resisted wanting to live near their real home. Can't say that I blame a guy for wanting to stay near his family and friends during the off-season. :shrug: I would. IMO this has to one of the bigger non-stories of the off-season.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
danny l said:
For as long as I can remember coaches have wanted the players to make the city where the team is located be the home for players on the team, then they could all do the "team" thing together. Players have resisted wanting to live near their real home. Can't say that I blame a guy for wanting to stay near his family and friends during the off-season. :shrug: I would. IMO this has to one of the bigger non-stories of the off-season.
Most of us when we leave colledge and get a job have to move, its a normal part of life. We certainly move it we take a joib in a different city.

These guys get paid a fortune and by not living here they reduce how much training they get, they don't get to know their teamates as well. Isn't it time they grew up like most everybody else has to do. You get a new job in a new city (or my country) and you move and make new friends and stop running home to your parents.. The old ones are still there, I still have a number a real good frineds in the UK, but come on, is it so hard to grow up ?

Reaction score
nidan said:
Most of us when we leave colledge and get a job have to move, its a normal part of life. We certainly move it we take a joib in a different city.

These guys get paid a fortune and by not living here they reduce how much training they get, they don't get to know their teamates as well. Isn't it time they grew up like most everybody else has to do. You get a new job in a new city (or my country) and you move and make new friends and stop running home to your parents.. The old ones are still there, I still have a number a real good frineds in the UK, but come on, is it so hard to grow up ?

OMG! What a concept! :thumbup:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard