Legal Tampering period thread and Free agency 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1st wave of free agency, u can get quality players with elite contracts, then the franchise can't wait to get rid of those contacts after the first year

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I remember the year the Cardinals went to the Super Bowl, the same overreaction crowd did the same thing.

This is an EVERY YEAR occurrence. Every year. Every single damn year they freak out day one of free agency and go all chicken little.

It would be funny to go back and see all of the players they got mad that the Cardinals didn't sign that became huge busts. The free agency hit percentage is like THIRTY PERCENT. That means the vast majority of these guys won't work out.
You guys are missing the point. Nobody is saying the Cards should be out there throwing money around like crazy. I'm saying target a guy, and sign him, like Linsley. He's exactly what the Cards need to UPGRADE their team. Plus, OL is probably the safest position to sign in free agency. People aren't calling out Keim for not offering William Jackson 15+ mill/year or paying Reddick 13 mill. There's a specific need the Cards needed and the best guy in the league was out there. Just once, go get that guy. His contract was not ridiculous. Nobody is claiming they missed out on Thuney because he got a great contract.

Wasn't providing Murray with better protection the #1 goal of the off season? Thought I'd heard that somewhere.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really don't want Matt Prater.

He made 75% of his FG's last year and only 92% of XP's. His lowest for 10 years.

Zane made 73% of FG's and 97% of XP's and people haven't stopped dinging him.

Why would we want a 36 year old on the way down with an almost identical (if not worse) record last year than a 25 year old on the way up?
When it comes to a kicker, age isn't as big a factor. I'm not necessarily advocating Prater, but he was a very good kicker most of his career. His career FG% is 83.2. He also hold the NFL record for most career FG's of 50 yards or more. Long stints in both Denver & Detroit.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Definition of a good organization versus a bad organization:
NE targets the players they want that fill their needs/holes in free agency and get them signed. Cardinals re-sign Markus Golden. I don't mind the Golden signing but there were/are players out there to fill holes and upgrade the Cardinals and nothing was done.

I know someone is going to post, well it was just day 1. My response, day 1 is when the players in demand are signed. Any team can wait until day 3-4 and sign an Alex Mack, John Ross, or bring back a Hassan Reddick, who, like I thought, does not have the strong market people predicted and is about the 7-10 edge player in demand.

Hell, even the Bengals made a splash to sign a DE.
NE is a GREAT organization, and you're being silly to compare the Bidwill owned Cardinals to the Kraft owned Patriots. The Patriots had the MOST money to spend, so they went out and spent it. I would have loved Linsley, but the Chargers made him an incredible offer. The teams that win the FA period, don't necessarily win when the games count. The Cardinals need to improve their drafting! When Keim eventually gets fired, it'll be because of his drafting, not because of his FA signings.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Oh my the Pats got themselves two of the best run blocking TEs in their prime, while both are also vertical threats down the seam. Without a serious QB they will pound the rock with Cam and a bunch of RBs, feast with play action and play great defense with their opt-outs returning and new FA signees.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
A lot of these guys are way overpaid.
Linsley and Thuney got LT money
WRs and TEs are way overpriced.
Lawson, Dupree, Floyd, etc.
Patriots blowing money.
I think Keim is smart holding it in and waiting for the dust to settle.
Missed on Linsley but that contract by the chargers is outrageous
I'm pretty sure the 2nd tier receivers and 2nd tier edge players will have good value.
CBs are really quiet, no rumors on PP or Reddick.
When you can't draft to fill the holes on your roster, you have to pay for them in FA which means you bid against others. Keim can stand on his value principals all he wants but those principals can't play C.

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As much as I like Linsley 13m was just too much. We need the money for other holes/depth. I’m ok with tier 2 Nick Martin/Reiter. We still need 2 CBs, a legit Wr, edge, RT/RG, TEs, one more safety and a RB

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
As much as I like Linsley 13m was just too much. We need the money for other holes/depth. I’m ok with tier 2 Nick Martin/Reiter. We still need 2 CBs, a legit Wr, edge, RT/RG, TEs, one more safety and a RB
They paid Larry $11 mill last year and I'm guessing it's not much less this year, if he plays. 13mill for Linsley, the best center in the game, is not crazy money.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Some players out there that I still feel fit our scheme.

Curtis Samuel
TY Hilton
Emmanuel Samuel
Marvin Jones
Breshad Perriman
Cordarrelle Patterson
John Ross
Isaiah Ford

Mike Davis
Chris Carson
Wayne Gallman

Ted Karras
Austin Reiter

Trai Turner
Kyle Long
Germain Ifedi
Mitchell Schwartz

Larry Ogunjobi
Jurell Casey

Jadeveon Clowney
Haason Reddick

William Jackson III
Casey HAyward
Desmond Trufant
Shaq Griffin

As we all know, most of these guys are older and work if they are a value signing.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Regarding our WR corp. If we add one or two in free agency I imagine we will try to trade one of ours to add picks. Pennies on the dollar likely.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are missing the point. Nobody is saying the Cards should be out there throwing money around like crazy. I'm saying target a guy, and sign him, like Linsley. He's exactly what the Cards need to UPGRADE their team. Plus, OL is probably the safest position to sign in free agency. People aren't calling out Keim for not offering William Jackson 15+ mill/year or paying Reddick 13 mill. There's a specific need the Cards needed and the best guy in the league was out there. Just once, go get that guy. His contract was not ridiculous. Nobody is claiming they missed out on Thuney because he got a great contract.

Wasn't providing Murray with better protection the #1 goal of the off season? Thought I'd heard that somewhere.
I agree. After all aren’t we “all in” this year after signing Watt?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Kinsley got more upfront money than the Cardinals can currently afford.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This sky is falling stuff you two are drowning the board with hours into the tampering period cant be rationalized so don’t try lol. Get some sleep and let’s see how it works out. Teams don’t win or lose games on the opening drive.
I don’t think the sky is falling. I just think per usual we missed out on our top targets. We will sign some players that posters will rave about and they will end up like Campbell, Kennard, Alford, starks, Byrd, streveler, Kirkpatrick, Gilbert, Crabtree. Whoop-de-freaking-do.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This sky is falling stuff you two are drowning the board with hours into the tampering period cant be rationalized so don’t try lol. Get some sleep and let’s see how it works out. Teams don’t win or lose games on the opening drive.

5 years. No playoffs. Ending the last season on a pathetic 2-5 slide. Not hard to rationalize that our FO sucks there.

not to mention I haven’t even really said much about FA. I think the way we’ve decided to allocate money to a pupu platter of slow, breaking down or broken down pass rushers is stupid, but I wasn’t one of the people that bought into the “we’re going to cut players and restructure CJ to go all in” crowd in the first place so I haven’t been going nuts over not being aggressive in FA. It was expected.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think the sky is falling. I just think per usual we missed out on our top targets. We will sign some players that posters will rave about and they will end up like Campbell, Kennard, Alford, starks, Byrd, streveler, Kirkpatrick, Gilbert, Crabtree. Whoop-de-freaking-do.
How do you know that we missed out on our main target(s)?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Tbh this FA class isn't very exciting at all. Solid 6 or 7/10 players paid like 10/10.
Hear this comment every year. 10/10 players don’t hit the market. They’re either locked up long term, tagged, or traded and locked up. So the players being paid are the top players available every year.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Kinsley got more upfront money than the Cardinals can currently afford.
It's all about guaranteed money. The Cards could've guaranteed as much, or more. Just depends on how the contract is structured.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keim did exactly what you’re advocating for, went out and signed Pugh and Bradford, who were both rated in the top couple of their respective positional groups, in ‘18 lol. :championship: I get that you’re going to flip everything around, no matter how ridiculously senseless it is, to blame Keim any chance you get. That’s fine. Sometimes though (like this time) it’s just funny. The highest paid free agents rarely ever come close to working out. That’s proven time and time again every year.

the above is laughable. Keim didn’t do anything I advocate for that year. I loudly and repeatedly DESTROYED the Bradford AND Pugh signings because we wayyyy overpaid for guys that A) were injury prone (much like I’ve done this year) and B) I didn’t think were even close to what Keim gave them.

Pretty much my same complaints about our FA decisions this season. that’s called consistency.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I remember the year the Cardinals went to the Super Bowl, the same overreaction crowd did the same thing.

This is an EVERY YEAR occurrence. Every year. Every single damn year they freak out day one of free agency and go all chicken little.

It would be funny to go back and see all of the players they got mad that the Cardinals didn't sign that became huge busts. The free agency hit percentage is like THIRTY PERCENT. That means the vast majority of these guys won't work out.
See my earlier criticism of that “stat.” That pig don’t fly without more supporting data. Not to mention, that’s why you pay a front office - a good one should identify the hits at a higher rate. If your argument is that keim isn’t good identifying talent, well then it seems you’re arguing we shouldn’t even try anything he’s not food at. Maybe we should just pass on drafting anyone. It will also save us cap space.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Not if it’s going to cost cap space apparently.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
When you can't draft to fill the holes on your roster, you have to pay for them in FA which means you bid against others. Keim can stand on his value principals all he wants but those principals can't play C.
Yup. But that precious cap space!

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
the above is laughable. Keim didn’t do anything I advocate for that year. I loudly and repeatedly DESTROYED the Bradford AND Pugh signings because we wayyyy overpaid for guys that A) were injury prone (much like I’ve done this year) and B) I didn’t think were even close to what Keim gave them.

Pretty much my same complaints about our FA decisions this season. that’s called consistency.
I completely forgot about the Bradford signing. Must've blacked that out of my memory. That has to be one of the worst signings ever. I bashed that endlessly too.
Thanks for ruining my day :D.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completely forgot about the Bradford signing. Must've blacked that out of my memory. That has to be one of the worst signings ever. I bashed that endlessly too.
Thanks for ruining my day :D.

thank the other dude who brought it up. I never wanted to think of it again either!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson