Latavius Murray?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No. This is more darksider nonsense.

You have done nothing but complain about Edmonds and Conner all off season yet you're interested in signing a 31 year old who's been a backup since 2017 and by any metric is worse than our current backup James Conner?

Or do you want to sign a 31 year old to a 1 year deal to be the 3rd back and sacrifice one of the younger long term guys who earned it in camp?

Murray is a fine RB and he will do a job for someone. I just don't think how you can think that someone is us when Murray fits exactly everything you have argued against.
Jesus Christ can you just address the freaking post without the BS “darksider” nonsense already? You’re on a stupid crusade that just serves to divide ASFN. bravo you’re accomplishing your stupid agenda.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. This is more darksider nonsense.

You have done nothing but complain about Edmonds and Conner all off season yet you're interested in signing a 31 year old who's been a backup since 2017 and by any metric is worse than our current backup James Conner?

Or do you want to sign a 31 year old to a 1 year deal to be the 3rd back and sacrifice one of the younger long term guys who earned it in camp?

Murray is a fine RB and he will do a job for someone. I just don't think how you can think that someone is us when Murray fits exactly everything you have argued against.

Jesus Christ can you just address the freaking post without the BS “darksider” nonsense already? You’re on a stupid crusade that just serves to divide ASFN. bravo you’re accomplishing your stupid agenda.
Brit (and others) - quit calling out people as darksiders. This is attacking posters.

Ouchie - watch the language.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think the infatuation with RBs is the remnants of the old NFL that doesn't really exist anymore.

No need to sign another veteran unless it was a guy who was clearly better than Edmonds and Conner (Murray isn't).

The Cardinals can only fix so many positions in one offseason and they seemed to prioritize the biggest holes from last season.

Well, they did a bang-up job at CB with ALFORD set to be a starter at one of the most important positions on the field. RB, though not a high-value position any longer, was patched over with little talent and no depth. Unfortunately, yinz are right at this point, as LM doesn't offer us anything atm because of how we worked the position in FA.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well, they did a bang-up job at CB with ALFORD set to be a starter at one of the most important positions on the field. RB, though not a high-value position any longer, was patched over with little talent and no depth. Unfortunately, yinz are right at this point, as LM doesn't offer us anything atm because of how we worked the position in FA.
Biggest Keim miss was not signing William Jackson. Good young cornerback.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have that on the team already. No need for a 3rd RB

you dont sign a 3rd freaking RB preparing for 2 injuries that haven’t even happened
Well the Super Bowl champs have Ronald Jones, Fornette and they went out and signed Bernard. If I’m counting right that’s 3 solid experienced backs. But hey what do I know.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
At this point I'm all about bodies that have done it before in the league. Am I cutting one of the younger guys? Yes. They're not very good.

At this point I'm resigned to a committee approach. The more the merrier.
Hold your horses. Yes, I get getting a guy who has done it before and agree which is fulfilled though by Connor. I am not about to say LM is better than Eno or Ward because at this stage he's probably not... that position is about having fresh legs and being able to take some punishment which is why most every team has a ton of youth past the starters

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hold your horses. Yes, I get getting a guy who has done it before and agree which is fulfilled though by Connor. I am not about to say LM is better than Eno or Ward because at this stage he's probably not... that position is about having fresh legs and being able to take some punishment which is why most every team has a ton of youth past the starters
If Eno and Ward were so damn good they would have carried the ball more than 1 carry between the both of them last year.
Yu want to put your eggs in that basket be my guest. And should Conner gets hurt we have no “ thumper” what so ever.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the Super Bowl champs have Ronald Jones, Fornette and they went out and signed Bernard. If I’m counting right that’s 3 solid experienced backs. But hey what do I know.
No that’s two back and a specialty back. Bernard was signed strictly as a 3rd down outlet for Brady like White in NE. Last I checked we don’t have a Tom Brady or run that offense.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do realize that regardless of his stats his next team would be his 4th team in 8 years.... There is clearly a reason for that as well.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You do realize that regardless of his stats his next team would be his 4th team in 8 years.... There is clearly a reason for that as well.
I'm not painting him as a true RB1, just an additional option.

From the eye test, he looks more explosive than Conner, even if he's a straight line runner. The Saints are in a horrible cap/salary situation, so I understand moving on from Murray when the reality is that they might be a decent team, but not contend.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
If Eno and Ward were so damn good they would have carried the ball more than 1 carry between the both of them last year.
Yu want to put your eggs in that basket be my guest. And should Conner gets hurt we have no “ thumper” what so ever.
6', 202 lbs might not be a thumper but Ward qualifies for a 'what so ever' close enough. Look, this offense obviously is not built for what the coaches imagine the role of a traditional back to be. I am not saying I agree with that philosophy but that's their style. As far as getting a thumper, they will be there if you really want one... hell, give ole man Adrian Peterson a second call but that is not how this offense appears to be predicated from what I have seen

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They were both 7th round or UDFA rookies last year. We had Drake and Edmonds.

How would either get carries?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were both 7th round or UDFA rookies last year. We had Drake and Edmonds.

How would either get carries?
I don’t know what the stat is but I would bet every team in the league got their 3rd string running back in the game more than once in the entire year.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love it when other teams trash becomes treasure to Cardinals fans...
It’s not about a treasure. It’s about adding experience and depth. Remember we are all in!
So you’re happy with adding an aging d-lineman and Wr but adding a lightly used 31 year old running back is absurd.
Okay.
I remember him tearing our asses up as a backup when we loss 31-9. And they had Kamara. Not bad as a backup. He got cut because a 3m salary was about to kick in, not because he stinks.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t know what the stat is but I would bet every team in the league got their 3rd string running back in the game more than once in the entire year.

We did. DJ Foster was our RB3 last year.

Benjamin and Ward were both PS players. Eno never left. We didn't sign Ward to the PS until after game 2 and he was on and off the PS all year mainly playing ST's.

I think you are being harsh here. It's 2 young guys who were obviously not ready their rookie year that have worked hard for the opportunity and made it. Although I expect one of them to get kicked to the PS at some point if we need to sign someone.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We did. DJ Foster was our RB3 last year.

Benjamin and Ward were both PS players. Eno never left. We didn't sign Ward to the PS until after game 2 and he was on and off the PS all year mainly playing ST's.

I think you are being harsh here. It's 2 young guys who were obviously not ready their rookie year that have worked hard for the opportunity and made it. Although I expect one of them to get kicked to the PS at some point if we need to sign someone.
Yes and he got 2 carries. I just think he would be a great insurance policy.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes and he got 2 carries. I just think he would be a great insurance policy.

Conner has missed on average 3 games a season, but as a primary back, he's now RB2.

Chase has missed 1 game a seaosn on average, but as a backup, not a starter.

The odds of them both being injured at the same time are small no? Is there really a need for an RB3 as insurance? Especially when we only have $4m cap space. And why would Murray want to be RB3? He could surely start somewhere as soon as someone gets injured.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Conner has missed on average 3 games a season, but as a primary back, he's now RB2.

Chase has missed 1 game a seaosn on average, but as a backup, not a starter.

The odds of them both being injured at the same time are small no? Is there really a need for an RB3 as insurance? Especially when we only have $4m cap space. And why would Murray want to be RB3? He could surely start somewhere as soon as someone gets injured.
Listen, I love Edmonds. But he had 97 carries last year and 25 of those in one game. He is not built for heavy duty service. Connors had 160 and the Steelers sent him packing.
Murray had about the same as Connor with about the same results.
To me our rb room would be better with Latavius Murray.
JMHO.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Listen, I love Edmonds. But he had 97 carries last year and 25 of those in one game. He is not built for heavy duty service. Connors had 160 and the Steelers sent him packing.
JMHO.

I don't buy that Edmonds isn't built for heavy duty service. He's the same size as Aaron Jones and bigger than Barry Sanders. He had a heavy workload at Fordham and only missed time in his 4th year.

I agree Murray would make the room better if we were going to run a true committee like the Niners did with Mostert, Coleman, Breida, or the Ravens have done recently. That doesn't look like the approach here so I think he would be wasted.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JMHO.

It would be. I think he is at least on par with Connor. But, I am not sure he wants to go to a team where he is not at least the #2 back. But if he is willing to come to the cards I would probably sign him.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JMHO.

Saying Edmonds is not built for heavy service is just based on nothing. He has not been given the opportunity yet.

Connor got sent packing because he's not that good, and smart teams keep drafting a new lead back every 3 or 4 years - because running backs perform at their best in those years and they are locked into rookie contracts.