Kyler Murray entering Draft

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of all of the arguments intended to shred Murray's character, this one is the least meaningful. Just my 2 cents. IMHO Who really gives a rip where these kids throw and do drills in t-shirts and shorts?

This kind of stuff is why I don't enjoy the combine anymore. I haven't watched a second of it in years, and will no longer waste any of my life watching it.

That’s great for a fan. But the league as a whole doesn’t agree with you and it is VERY important to the 32 teams in attendance. Just because it has no meaning to you or isnt important to you really amounts to nothing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Now you’re the one being disengenuous... I did a basic search on google reference to the topic. The only highly rated prospect I can find that skipped all aspects of the combine is here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bi...13/2/21/4013698/jarvis-jones-2013-nfl-combine

It’s not as common as your trying to portray not even close. Some players will throw but not do drills or do drills and not throw. Some will just run. Some will pick and choose as stated. But it is VERY RARE for a top flight prospect to completely pass in all aspects of the combine like Murray is doing.... The speculation/concern that he’s not comfortable performing at this weight has merit. Him wanting to only perform in his scripted environment at OU and after being able to drop some poundage raises red flags.
Are you saying you individually searched for 50-100 individual players and what they did at the combine? That would be 10 years worth of the top 5-10 players in each draft. If you actually did that wheeeeew that’s a lotta work. We gotta get you another job.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Better yet let’s be quarterback specific Ouchi can you name 4 top three quarterback prospects in the last five years that I’ve skipped the entire combine process not due to injury?
Sam Darnold :mrgreen:
I believe all he did was run

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s great for a fan. But the league as a whole doesn’t agree with you and it is VERY important to the 32 teams in attendance. Just because it has no meaning to you or isnt important to you really amounts to nothing.

Just as your opinion, that his nonparticipation allows you to read into his soul and declare him a "loser" (my summary of your opinion), really amounts to nothing. Total waste of oxygen.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you saying you individually searched for 50-100 individual players and what they did at the combine? That would be 10 years worth of the top 5-10 players in each draft. If you actually did that wheeeeew that’s a lotta work. We gotta get you another job.

I actually did a little research on this and of the top QBs in the last ten years, as Shane said, some didn't throw... some didn't do drills... some didn't run... but seemingly none of them sat out everything outside of measurements.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that's what Kingsbury wants, I have no problem there either, but to say if Rosen was Andrew Luck, which would we mean he had the same success as Luck, that people would still be clamoring for Kyler is completely baseless in fact.

Also, the idea that Rosen wasn't supposed to play last year when our starting QB was a wheel-chair waiting to happen is laughable. Everyone with a brain and even just a smidgen of foresight knew Bradford was there for Josh to keep the seat warm until he inevitably got injured.
The comment about luck was tongue in cheek. However in your own words “ anybody with a brain”...not sure we had anybody with a brain.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually did a little research on this and of the top QBs in the last ten years, as Shane said, some didn't throw... some didn't do drills... some didn't run... but seemingly none of them sat out everything outside of measurements.

And, this means........ ? What?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I did a Straight Google search for pro prospects that have skipped the combine. Lo and behold the only example that came up was the only link I listed. That was a full article on one semi hyped prospect. When prospects skip it’s news and thats all that came up??? Do the search yourself. There was a blurb of Clowney possibly skipping but of course he didn’t. If it’s as often and frequent as you say high profile prospects skipping there would be news stories archived everywhere woukdnt ya think? Logical to think that yes?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I played high school football with guys who were so athletically talented that they could have spent the day drinking Four Loko and eating Country Crock and have taken over a game. And Murray's way more athletically talented than anyone I've ever stood in a gym with. I also weighed 125 lbs as an 18 year old, and was 175 by the time I was Murray's age. So, I discount HS. But that's actually a good story! But I do worry where entitlement is mistaken for passion.

Separately, I think we should give @HeHasRosen a break. I've been here more than half of my life, and it's only in the past couple years I've felt like I could contribute semi-regularly. He's at least been here long enough to know some of the names, even if he made a mistake with DJ.
I agree.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just as your opinion, that his nonparticipation allows you to read into his soul and declare him a "loser" (my summary of your opinion), really amounts to nothing. Total waste of oxygen.

:biglaugh:

You’re so holier then thou now... lol

Never implied him a “loser” in anyway shape or form. But I do call into question his motives for skipping and believe he will be a bust in the league. Big Jump to thinking he is a loser but whatever makes ya happy brother!!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

You’re so holier then thou now... lol

Never implied him a “loser” in anyway shape or form. But I do call into question his motives for skipping and believe he will be a bust in the league. Big Jump to thinking he is a loser but whatever makes ya happy brother!!

I am not sure how anything I said is "holier than thou". Just gave you my opinion of your opinion as you did to my opinion.

Shouldn't be a big deal. No reason to cast aspersion on my motive in that post. Lighten up, will ya? This Murray stuff ain't all that important.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It means Ouchie is wrong saying “players do it all the time” nothing more or less....

So, that means we are all just guessing as to what it means for his future as an NFL player. There is no data about this at all.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure how anything I said is "holier than thou". Just gave you my opinion of your opinion as you did to my opinion.

Shouldn't be a big deal. No reason to cast aspersion on my motive in that post. Lighten up, will ya? This Murray stuff ain't all that important.

I enjoy the debate and back and forth this time of year it’s enjoyable and fun. All opinion are welcome. But to come in here and try to tell me I’m straight wasting oxygen and time is a little over-the-top don’t you think?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, that means we are all just guessing as to what it means for his future as an NFL player. There is no data about this at all.

There is definite proof that players don’t just regularly and often skip the entire combine that have been invitied unless it’s injury related.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoy the debate and back and forth this time of year it’s enjoyable and fun. All opinion are welcome. But to come in here and try to tell me I’m straight wasting oxygen and time is a little over-the-top don’t you think?

I really meant this whole endeavor is a waste of oxygen when it comes to proving who is right or wrong at this point. I haven't said Murray will be great, suck or in between. I don't know. Opinions are fine, but that they mean nothing more than some person's thoughts at that instant in time. Mocking people over an opinion now is .... a waste of oxygen.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is definite proof that players don’t just regularly and often skip the entire combine that have been invitied unless it’s injury related.

And that means what for his future?

Whatever you say, it will be your opinion. You don't know his character. You don't know how good he will, or will not, be.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really meant this whole endeavor is a waste of oxygen when it comes to proving who is right or wrong at this point. I haven't said Murray will be great, suck or in between. I don't know. Opinions are fine, but that they mean nothing more than some person's thoughts at that instant in time. Mocking people over an opinion now is .... a waste of oxygen.

Fair enough. What do you consider “mocking” in relation to the banter going back and forth. I don’t recall mocking anybody... IE making fun of them???

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And that means what for his future?

Whatever you say, it will be your opinion. You don't know his character. You don't know how good he will, or will not, be.

Exactly and it’s fun to debate it. And question his motives. Especially when it’s not the norm. Again part of the banter and back and forth with other posters who think otherwise??

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Shane that's it's not that common to skip, but I have to say I am not sure why. With all the personal workouts these kids do now if a team really wants to see Murray they will. The argument with personal workouts was always they're scripted, they do only the throws that kid does well, not the ones he struggles with, they spend weeks drilling for it, so it's not a "fair representation." but we all also know that teams are well aware of it and will often ask for a 2nd non scripted workout, all the way back to Alex Smith that happened for example.

My big concern with combine and I say this every year is the morons who test positive. If you can't stay clean long enough to test clean at the combine when you've known for ages when it is, and when they will test you, i don't trust you.

We saw yet another example of that the other day when Randy Gregory was suspended yet again by the NFL. He was one of the guys who had positive tests in college, did horribly in the personality profiles they do, and then tested positive at the combine.

The advantage of the combine is teams can see all the prospects in one place. The disadvantage has always been that it's not an ideal setting. What if you have the flu or a bad cold, you have to decide do I work out sick, or do I pass and risk them thinking I'm ducking something. You have guys often standing around waiting their turn, I remember Deion on tv once saying he was terrified he was going to pull a hammy when he ran his famous combine 40 because you have to wait and you just keep stretching and warming up but it's such an unusual format for them to run in it scared him.

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score
It's funny seeing a guy use his fantasy guy in his username, call you a homer. Plus describing his favorite perverted activity

Yup Arizona homer no doubt. Ok formerly known as okie guy lol

Thanks @Solar7 I appreciate it. Im not attacking anybody personally just giving my takes like everyone else here. Yes they may be hot takes sometimes but still my opinion nonetheless.

Ive known and read most of the peoples posts here for years and feel like i know people here in a sense. It sucks when i come here and get blasted because of my name or my opinions. Didn't expect that from this board.

Pick apart my arguments all you want im game but why get personal? Because i believe in Rosen and not on the Murray bandwagon. Im not the only one who feels this way. Anyways rant done. Sorry for the OT post.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I did a Straight Google search for pro prospects that have skipped the combine. Lo and behold the only example that came up was the only link I listed. That was a full article on one semi hyped prospect. When prospects skip it’s news and thats all that came up??? Do the search yourself. There was a blurb of Clowney possibly skipping but of course he didn’t. If it’s as often and frequent as you say high profile prospects skipping there would be news stories archived everywhere woukdnt ya think? Logical to think that yes?
You used the word “skip” in your search? That automatically invalidates your search. Kyler didn’t skip it. He was their for measurements. If you only searched for skip it’s not going to find what we are looking for. Bad research man.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It means Ouchie is wrong saying “players do it all the time” nothing more or less....
I definitely could be wrong. My memory is that high profile players wait for their pro workouts frequently. Of course that’s different than “skipping.” Regardless, even if players don’t do one aspect (throw, run, lift) and want to wait for their pro day does it make difference if they chose one, a few, or all of the workouts to wait ‘til pro day? Not in my mind. At least, not in and of itself. If there’s more to it that’s a different story. For instance, if it truly is to lose 20lbs for the workout it doesn’t negate his eventual workout, but it essentially negates his weight at the combine. That’s absolutely a fair way to look at it. Didn’t Lamar Jackson refuse to do most of the workouts at the combine just last year?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You used the word “skip” in your search? That automatically invalidates your search. Kyler didn’t skip it. He was their for measurements. If you only searched for skip it’s not going to find what we are looking for. Bad research man.

I actually didn’t use skip but I think your brothers post validates what I’m saying... But hang on to that belief that it’s common.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave