Kyler Murray Contract Extended

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
We got absolutely pounded by the Lions and Seahawks at the end of the year. It was obvious that the team didn't have the toughness or depth to seriously compete.

That's what's been so frustrating about this offseason - instead of beefing up and getting tougher, we've created some pretty big holes on our D that have yet to be adequately filled. With what appears to be a down NFC, we're sitting on our hands when we should be going all in.

Yep, great points. Plus, our schedule is absolutely brutal to start the season and our star WR will obviously not be available for 6 weeks. Several losses at the start of the season could quickly lead to a HC without answers and our star QB moping on the sidelines and more interested in playing video games on Twitch.

Look, perhaps I'm being overly pessimistic but this off-season doesn't inspire confidence that the team won't be a continuation of what we saw during the final stretch of last season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Best young QB in Cardinal history. And I've been around long enough to say that without any reservation. To argue that is asinine.
Low bar. Nobody’s arguing he isn’t the most talented young qb in history. But that shouldn’t be a license to stop there. Maybe trying to be the best in the game should be his target. But I understand your low expectations.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Why is it “supposed”? He is a freaky athlete, so why not believe him when he says stuff like that? Kyler never said that he didn’t watched tape. What he said was that he didn’t obsess over watching tape. Some players HAVE to watch more tape than others to be fully prepared. They may have to do that in order to compensate for not having the athleticism that Murray possesses. Or maybe they lack the cognitive skills that Kyler has. With anything in life, there is always a point of diminished returns. For all the success that Kyler has had in life, I’ll leave it to him & his coaches to determine just how much tape he needs to watch.
Holy crap the lengths to which you’re willing to go to is truly awe-inspiring. You’re determined to find kyler perfect, I’ll grant you that.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Low bar. Nobody’s arguing he isn’t the most talented young qb in history. But that shouldn’t be a license to stop there. Maybe trying to be the best in the game should be his target. But I understand your low expectations.
You can say that, but Murray in 3 years has statistically accomplished numbers that would make him the best young QB for many NFL teams, not just ours.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Lol at this organization. You never put something in a contract that (a) you don’t want; and (b) you think is unnecessary. Walking it back, after it’s been signed no less, because your QB is publicly butthurt is just the epitome of a poorly run dysfunctional franchise.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
In hindsight, I guess he should have just taken the safety & gone down 16-0. But, then in having to give them the ball right back after the safety & the way our D was playing, it would have most likely ended up being 23-0 at the half. So, in the bigger scheme of things, I doubt if it mattered a lick. And let's not forget that it was the snap that actually led to that mess.
Defending one of the worst pick sixes in league history. Bold gambit.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Holy crap the lengths to which you’re willing to go to is truly awe-inspiring. You’re determined to find kyler perfect, I’ll grant you that.
I never said he was perfect. Those are words that have come out of your mouth, not mine. There has never been nor will there ever be a perfect NFL QB. Most of the truly great NFL QB’s were drafted by significantly better teams. What Murray has accomplished is even more impressive because not only was he drafted by the worst team in the NFL, but that 2018 team was the worst in Cardinal history.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Defending one of the worst pick sixes in league history. Bold gambit.
That’s a stretch. With a horrible snap, he had a nanosecond to do something, anything. There have been many, many, many worse where QB’s have literally had time to look over a defense & still threw an ugly pick six while not being spun around in the process of trying to throw the ball away. Murray was simply trying to avoid a safety in an ALREADY ugly game. That play had no bearing on what the outcome of that game would be. With how the Rams offense was moving the ball, even if Murray was able to throw that away, we would have punted the ball from the back of our endzone & the Rams would have had the ball in our territory again.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is true and also part of the problem. Kyler has been pampered like this since the Cardinals drafted him. They have treated him like the best QB in franchise history before he even has won a playoff game. Your perspective is exactly what Fitz talked about. Any time there is legit critical Kyler convos your end refute is that he is the best young QB the Cardinals have ever had. The Cardinals didn’t make him earn it which is why they are in this position.
Keeps expectations low which means demand is low. As long as he’s good some will never demand he be great. And it’s likely only greatness that can pull a poor franchise up beyond fringe playoff status.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You are creating a false choice that the issue has to be one or the other. People can be critical of Bidwill and Kyler and Keim and Kliff or whatever combination. I can be critical of Keim but also know that Bidwill is why he is still the GM. I can be critical of Bidwill’s handling of the contract language while expressing that it is in direct result of Kyler’s interview and behavior over the past 3 years.
This

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Either reporters are stupid or people answering the questions are extremely media savvy. No one questions kylers “work ethic,” they question the amount of film study. If the interviewer asks about his work ethic they’ve missed the mark. If they ask about him putting in extra film time and teammates answer about work ethic they’re essentially slyly dodging the question.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You can say that, but Murray in 3 years has statistically accomplished numbers that would make him the best young QB for many NFL teams, not just ours.
Correct. Those are likely the worst franchises in the nfl. So broader low bar. Great.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
bad OL play can make the best called plays look like a disaster, or make the best prepared QB look like a beginner

not saying KK or K1 were perfect, but in my mind, that game started and ended at the LOS.

At the same time bad QB play and a QB that can't read the defense and make adjustments can make the O line look terrible.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I never said he was perfect. Those are words that have come out of your mouth, not mine. There has never been nor will there ever be a perfect NFL QB. Most of the truly great NFL QB’s were drafted by significantly better teams. What Murray has accomplished is even more impressive because not only was he drafted by the worst team in the NFL, but that 2018 team was the worst in Cardinal history.
You’re right. Apologies. You never said that. I hate when people put words in my mouth so I shouldn’t have done it with you.

What I really mean is you’re willing to dismiss entirely his shortcomings based on what meager success he’s provided you thus far. If his career plateaued here - a QB who gets to the playoffs every three years but never advances - he would likely be the most successful QB in cardinals history which seems to be your litmus test. Many of us have greater expectations for someone who clearly has the physical traits to go beyond that, but it requires greater commitment to the cerebral elements of the game that we aren’t seeing and that you are seemingly fine with dismissing as necessary. Your posts just paint a picture of a fan that’s settling because you don’t realize you can have something better.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Kyler's list of "First NFL QB in history to accomplish "X" in his initial, first two, and first three seasons (e.g. throw for 30 TDs and rush for 10 or whatever) is pretty long. In almost all of these arguments, you have the actual facts on your side @PACardsFan.

Nobody is saying Murray is perfect, and most agree that he needs to mature more. Be a little better leader. But now that he's signed long term, I think we're going to get to see K1 resolve those issues, and realize his total potential. I'm still 1,000% confident K1 will lead us a to a superbowl win if Keim and K2 just pull their weight in the process.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That’s a stretch. With a horrible snap, he had a nanosecond to do something, anything. There have been many, many, many worse where QB’s have literally had time to look over a defense & still threw an ugly pick six while not being spun around in the process of trying to throw the ball away. Murray was simply trying to avoid a safety in an ALREADY ugly game. That play had no bearing on what the outcome of that game would be. With how the Rams offense was moving the ball, even if Murray was able to throw that away, we would have punted the ball from the back of our endzone & the Rams would have had the ball in our territory again.
Doubling down on the defense of the pick six, even more impressive.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
At the same time bad QB play and a QB that can't read the defense and make adjustments can make the O line look terrible.
Exactly. As PAcardfan likes to point out “it starts at the top” - that includes on the field too where it starts with the QB.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Kyler's list of "First NFL QB in history to accomplish "X" in his initial, first two, and first three seasons (e.g. throw for 30 TDs and rush for 10 or whatever) is pretty long. In almost all of these arguments, you have the actual facts on your side @PACardsFan.

Nobody is saying Murray is perfect, and most agree that he needs to mature more. Be a little better leader. But now that he's signed long term, I think we're going to get to see K1 resolve those issues, and realize his total potential. I'm still 1,000% confident K1 will lead us a to a superbowl win if Keim and K2 just pull their weight in the process.
Man I hope you’re right.

Still a kyler fan. But man he takes a lot of missteps.

Reactions: TRW

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Correct. Those are likely the worst franchises in the nfl. So broader low bar. Great.
Why dont you do yourself a favor and choose another team to follow. By reading most of your posts its clear your utter disdain for the team, players and organization. Nothing they do is right in your eyes and the season hasnt even started yet. Being a "fan" you have the right to your feelings and or opinions but damn dude, Ive never seen someone crap on their team the way that you and a few others do in this forum. Rant over!

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I think, beginning with Kyler, we stop hearing how "awesome" he was in high school and college. His "impromptu" press conference was all about how hard he works and how great he was in, yep, high school and college. I think it's fine to give kudos to his accomplishments so far but those do NOT overshadow the struggles especially late in the year he's had. I know, I know, he's not the ONLY one who struggled but he's the TOP on that offense (or should be) as has been posted.

The signing of his contract is not some magical talisman that will make him mature more OR be a better leader. Another thing that I can't agree on is the confidence that K1 will lead the team to a SB, with the caveat "if Keim and K2 just pull their weight in the process". That's, to me, saying what many have said, that Kyler needs everything damn near perfect around him to win. So far, I think it's pretty much shaken out that way.

I am now in the mindset that the dye is cast and Kyler will be the QB for at least the next 3-4 years. I HOPE he matures, I HOPE he becomes a better leader, I HOPE he leads the Cards to a SB victory (before I croak) and I HOPE he has learned a lesson from all of the crap this past week. I also HOPE the "he's only 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, etc., etc. stops", he's entering his 4th season. He is a veteran now IMO, time to act like it.

"Hope springs eternal in the human breast."-Alexander Pope

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
if Keim and K2 just pull their weight in the process". That's, to me, saying what many have said, that Kyler needs everything damn near perfect around him to win.
This is such an scary mindset to have.

There has never been a SB winner that involved a bad GM & a very questionable(& to the public, bad) HC.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave