Knicks Suns 1/7/11

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Suns have to keep Gortat and Lopez, unless a really good offer comes. Both players are key pieces at the C spot.

The problem is the system and lack of players boxing out for the centers to grab the boards. Just watch Spurs, everyone boxes out for Duncan and Blair.

Losing Stoudemire and NOT signing him for 100+ Million is still the right decision... because he was a high risk 3 years into the proposed contract.... the Suns would of been stuck with a 20 Million a year player for 2-3 seasons...

Many agreed with the FO when Stoudemire wasnt resigned...
A lot of us thought Stoudemire can be replaced offensively and actually improve REBOUNDING...

That was the thinking back then... because most of us thought the SUNS will actually sign a "good" PF with the remaining money...

But the case is.... the Suns ONLY actual PF is Warrick... and Suns play an SF to play the PF... and his name isnt Shawn Marion.

cly2tw

Reaction score
It seemed like a good strategy. Amare didn't get many easy looks in the first half. He hit some pretty crazy shots. Hill guarding Amare actually reminded me of Marion guarding Dirk, he didn't have the usual quickness advantage that he does against bigger defenders, but he was able to exploit the height advantage to just shoot over the top.

The difference is, now Amare is calm enough not to be bothered by Hill's tight positioning/hassling and able to nail those contested 15 footers. And he did drive by Hill a couple of times for layups to keep Hill's feet on the ground. Amare later had problem with Gortat who constantly pushed and jabbed at him which got him out of his comfort zone. Marion was a better threat against Dirk due to his quick-jumping ability and Dirk generally much slower than Amare.

OP
OP
Bufalay

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The difference is, now Amare is calm enough not to be bothered by Hill's tight positioning/hassling and able to nail those contested 15 footers. And he did drive by Hill a couple of times for layups to keep Hill's feet on the ground. Amare later had problem with Gortat who constantly pushed and jabbed at him which got him out of his comfort zone. Marion was a better threat against Dirk due to his quick-jumping ability and Dirk generally much slower than Amare.

He never really got by Hill, he just kind of shot over him before going out of bounds.

OP
OP
Bufalay

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Losing Stoudemire and NOT signing him for 100+ Million is still the right decision... because he was a high risk 3 years into the proposed contract.... the Suns would of been stuck with a 20 Million a year player for 2-3 seasons...

What was the worst case scenario? Stoudemire gets injured and the Suns end up sucking because they don't have enough money to replace him. By not signing him and then not replacing him, they immediately placed themselves into the aforementioned worst case scenario.

Many agreed with the FO when Stoudemire wasnt resigned...
A lot of us thought Stoudemire can be replaced offensively and actually improve REBOUNDING...

That was the thinking back then... because most of us thought the SUNS will actually sign a "good" PF with the remaining money...

Why did most of you think that? There was no one available. You really think giving David Lee $80 million was a better option?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns have to keep Gortat and Lopez, unless a really good offer comes. Both players are key pieces at the C spot.

Lopez isn't a key to anything unless you need the financial to work out in some sort of trade. If the Suns lost Lopez for the season tomorrow, this team performs exactly the same.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lopez isn't a key to anything unless you need the financial to work out in some sort of trade. If the Suns lost Lopez for the season tomorrow, this team performs exactly the same.

Well, we'd have that empty seat in the bench area but other than that, not much would change.

Steve

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
this had to be the most embarassing loss i can remember for a suns team in a long time. not only for the obvious reason:

dantoni's triumph
amare's return
being down 35pts to the knicks

but for some less obvious reasons:

gentry coached under dantoni for how long? and he got suckered into doing EVERYTHING that dantoni wanted. he went smaller (no center) . . . just want dantoni wants. he got into a shooting contest . . . just what dantoni wants figuring his squad will (and did) outshoot yours (and wtf was nash going under every single ******* pick for???). and worst of all to me, we kept trying to post our small guys on their small guys. how many of you remember for years us trying to lure other teams into posting our smaller guys with their smaller guys 'cuz their small guys aren't adept at posting up? yeah, it's enticing. but then you're playing not to your strength, but trying to force a weakness. our smalls don't know how to post effectively and it showed. time and again we posted a small up on a small and came away with a terrible shot. gentry got lured into the same thing we lured other teams into for years. we don't have a duncan posting up, we have a pietrus posting up! that's our offense??? now i've never thought gentry to be "brilliant," but this was the first time that i've ever seen gentry's "flat out stupid."

gortat is just not an nba player . . . yet. now i'm not saying he will become one or that he won't. i don't know. he shows good defensive footwork, but he's by no means a shut down defender. and he's just flat out awful at the offensive end.

this team has no present talent on it for the future other than a few roleplayers. i like duds. dragic is so inconsistent that i don't think we can depend on him for anything other than spotty play. and robin, after showing some glimpses last year of surprising skill, is ending up being exactly the player i, and many of us on the board, thought he'd be, a limited stiff with occasional flashes of competence. childress could be good as a 6th man utility player on a really good team. he's not much on a team devoid of talent. and that's it folks. and that's depressing. good thing this is considered a lackluster draft year!

btw, as much as i agreed with not giving amare what he wanted from a practical standpoint, missing him is much more painful than i anticipated. i wish the crowd would've started chanted "MVP!" for him, just to shove it in sarver's face. imo, there's no amount of shoving things in sarver's face that's too much. that's right sarver, shove it.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Whomever said that this current team is a mish-mash of wing players is right. They're just not jelling correctly.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
this had to be the most embarassing loss i can remember for a suns team in a long time. not only for the obvious reason:

dantoni's triumph
amare's return
being down 35pts to the knicks

but for some less obvious reasons:

gentry coached under dantoni for how long? and he got suckered into doing EVERYTHING that dantoni wanted. he went smaller (no center) . . . just want dantoni wants. he got into a shooting contest . . . just what dantoni wants figuring his squad will (and did) outshoot yours (and wtf was nash going under every single ******* pick for???). and worst of all to me, we kept trying to post our small guys on their small guys. how many of you remember for years us trying to lure other teams into posting our smaller guys with their smaller guys 'cuz their small guys aren't adept at posting up? yeah, it's enticing. but then you're playing not to your strength, but trying to force a weakness. our smalls don't know how to post effectively and it showed. time and again we posted a small up on a small and came away with a terrible shot. gentry got lured into the same thing we lured other teams into for years. we don't have a duncan posting up, we have a pietrus posting up! that's our offense??? now i've never thought gentry to be "brilliant," but this was the first time that i've ever seen gentry's "flat out stupid."

gortat is just not an nba player . . . yet. now i'm not saying he will become one or that he won't. i don't know. he shows good defensive footwork, but he's by no means a shut down defender. and he's just flat out awful at the offensive end.

this team has no present talent on it for the future other than a few roleplayers. i like duds. dragic is so inconsistent that i don't think we can depend on him for anything other than spotty play. and robin, after showing some glimpses last year of surprising skill, is ending up being exactly the player i, and many of us on the board, thought he'd be, a limited stiff with occasional flashes of competence. childress could be good as a 6th man utility player on a really good team. he's not much on a team devoid of talent. and that's it folks. and that's depressing. good thing this is considered a lackluster draft year!

btw, as much as i agreed with not giving amare what he wanted from a practical standpoint, missing him is much more painful than i anticipated. i wish the crowd would've started chanted "MVP!" for him, just to shove it in sarver's face. imo, there's no amount of shoving things in sarver's face that's too much. that's right sarver, shove it.
Welcome back Ouchie.
This era: If you set the charges and help me with crowd control i'll light the fuse :)

-Dudley is easily the most complete player on this team under 37 :D

-I still like Dragic's game but unfortunately we STILL dont know what he can do when given the responsibility to run an offense(or even play) full time.
-I think Gortat is still just completely lost in this system. I could be wrong(i've only watched 2 gms of him in a Suns uni) but he can help this team in the future IMO.
-If Nash & Hill are still here a year from now and Dudley & Gortat aren't....i'm officially checking out of the Suns Hotel bro.

Good to hear from ya.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And I bet Sarver has no idea where they go from here.
I wouldn't, we are in that crappy middle, over paying particle board players and over the hill superstars. Hey you dang woodchucks, quit chuckin my wood!:madarms:
We have no more wood to chuck, Sarver has put us in the position of hopelessness.
We aint bad enough to be getting the #1 pick, probably not even top 5.
We aint good enough...period.

Last edited: