Knicks Suns 1/7/11

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This should be an exciting game. I'm curious to see how the fans will react to Amare. I remember JJ getting a pretty unfriendly reception when he returned to Phoenix.

How many points do you think Amare will score? I'm guessing around 25, although I wouldn't be surprised to see him go over 40.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This should be an exciting game. I'm curious to see how the fans will react to Amare. I remember JJ getting a pretty unfriendly reception when he returned to Phoenix.

How many points do you think Amare will score? I'm guessing around 25, although I wouldn't be surprised to see him go over 40.
I hope the Knicks leave with Lopez and Nash after the beating. If they want Nash, which would make them almost a lock for Carmello, they gotta take Lopez. Work everything else out.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Will D'antoni start Turiaf at C, as he did one time recently, returning Amar'e to PF? And, if so, will Grant Hill guard him?

Or will Amar'e start at C? In that case, Gortat is our only hope of keeping him at 25. If Lopez or Frye (or Hill, as much as he would try), Amar'e would probably then be closer to 40.

If Amar'e does score 40, does that mean the Knicks would win the game. With last year's Suns roster, I would have said not necessarily. This year . . . necessarily.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Suns 193
Knicks 191

Robin Lopez sets a record with a +92 (+/-) in a single game while playing only 10 minutes.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Will D'antoni start Turiaf at C, as he did one time recently, returning Amar'e to PF? And, if so, will Grant Hill guard him?

Or will Amar'e start at C? In that case, Gortat is our only hope of keeping him at 25. If Lopez or Frye (or Hill, as much as he would try), Amar'e would probably then be closer to 40.

If Amar'e does score 40, does that mean the Knicks would win the game. With last year's Suns roster, I would have said not necessarily. This year . . . necessarily.

Turiaf is a thug, he got dunked on two nights ago by Blair and he got pissed off and shoved Blair in the chest. Sore loser. I hope Hakim Warrick dunks Turiaf into a coma..:thud: Turiaf has had a rough season, he's been dunked on by Hilario (Twice in the same game) and a slew of others.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Amare on playing the Suns: "Its gonna be great. They have no one that can stop me and nobody can stop us as a team."

Seems a bit cocky to me... Most players say "its gonna tough or its gonna be challenging or its gonna be hard etc" but Amare says its gonns be "great?" I know we suck but he doesnt have to throw it in our face.

And Gortat has defended Amare well in the past. I hope he can do that tonight.

I honestly believe we're pulling off this upset victory.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Gortats of the world indeed defend Amare quite well, at least at the start of the game. But Amare has gotten consistent chances to fail with the Knicks that he's improved a lot over the season to stay calm and not force the issue as often. In his Suns days, the team would just look elsewhere for offense, which was the reason he never really learned.

OP
OP
Bufalay

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Gortats of the world indeed defend Amare quite well, at least at the start of the game. But Amare has gotten consistent chances to fail with the Knicks that he's improved a lot over the season to stay calm and not force the issue as often. In his Suns days, the team would just look elsewhere for offense, which was the reason he never really learned.

I've noticed the same thing. He doesn't seem to make as many out-of-control moves to the hoop as he was early in the season.

Trifecta

Veteran
Reaction score
Amare on playing the Suns: "Its gonna be great. They have no one that can stop me and nobody can stop us as a team.

Seems a bit cocky to me... Most players say "its gonna tough or its gonna be challenging or its gonna be hard etc" but Amare says its gonns be "great?" I know we suck but he doesnt have to throw it in our face.

It may be cocky but it's pretty darn accurate too. Who is going to stop him, Warrick? lol

I guess he could have said "yeah they got some great defenders so it's gonna be tough" but I doubt he could have kept a straight face.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cocky? I say confidence and why not? Most PF/C have been owned by Amare since he became a starter in this league. He knows it and so does everybody else.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Amare on playing the Suns: "Its gonna be great. They have no one that can stop me and nobody can stop us as a team."

Uh...

I can't ever remember Gortat defending Amare well. If anything it was Howard, but Amare in general never seemed to have much problems scoring against the Magic or Dwight in particular, rebounding was below average against Orlando.

And Amare is cocky? Wow shocking.. that's what we loved him for as a rookie and player in general.

I expect a huge game from Amare. This game could be big because the crowd might seriously turn on the Suns if the Knicks are winning and Amare puts up a big game I expect that much of the crowd will start cheering for the Knicks.

chickenhead

Reaction score
If the Knicks beat the Suns by 10+ it will be a big statement. They will literally beat us with what we lack, in the form of exactly the individual we had on the roster last year in the WCF.

I really want the Suns to win this game, but I worry that if they do, management will take it as some kind of validation.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

It's a sad day when your team was 2 games away from the NBA finals, and a victory over the Knicks in the following season is an "upset victory."

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
One more thing, the twisted, jaded part of me almost hopes that the Knicks destroy the Suns and Amare goes for 50+.

At the time, I wasn't opposed to Amare leaving. I can see why some would think we wasn't worth the max. Questionable knees and a serious lack of defense.

But wow, turning around and spending the money on Warrick, Turk, and Frye? Ugh.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
One more thing, the twisted, jaded part of me almost hopes that the Knicks destroy the Suns and Amare goes for 50+.

I doubt you are alone with those sentinements.

This Suns team is so boring and un-inspiring that watching the Knicks just because of Amare is more interesting.

jibikao

Reaction score
Big game for Suns. They can lose to anybody but Knicks. Please win tonight. Please!!!!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big game for Suns. They can lose to anybody but Knicks. Please win tonight. Please!!!!

You know it's funny how people feel about this game. This game could be big for the front office as well. Almost every time the Suns have pulled off a trade, I remember one game that led up to the trade which was sort of a "last straw" type game. A game that was just a slap in the face that preceded a move by the organization.

I don't know why I feel that way and I could be way off. I just get that feeling about this game for some reason. Like something will happen if the Suns get steam rolled by the Knicks.

jibikao

Reaction score
But wow, turning around and spending the money on Warrick, Turk, and Frye? Ugh.

Who else are they going to spend on? It's not like there are many "great" Power Forwards to choose from. Warrick "seemed" pretty good at first.

jibikao

Reaction score
You know it's funny how people feel about this game. This game could be big for the front office as well. Almost every time the Suns have pulled off a trade, I remember one game that led up to the trade which was sort of a "last straw" type game. A game that was just a slap in the face that preceded a move by the organization.

I don't know why I feel that way and I could be way off. I just get that feeling about this game for some reason. Like something will happen if the Suns get steam rolled by the Knicks.

I just hope they don't put too much pressure on themselves because they want to win this game so bad.

I think this organization has already done too many moves this season. There's really no time to gel. I would still give Warrick more chance. He only started like what? 2 games??

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt you are alone with those sentinements.

This Suns team is so boring and un-inspiring that watching the Knicks just because of Amare is more interesting.

You can tell all that just by looking at the stats?;)

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who else are they going to spend on? It's not like there are many "great" Power Forwards to choose from. Warrick "seemed" pretty good at first.

No he didn't. Several of us were upset that we'd ignored the power forward position, especially once it became clear that our 2nd round pick wasn't even a likely "project" for that spot. I forget who it was but I agree with the really smart poster who four or five months ago said something like: "We didn't replace one of the best power forwards in the game with an average player, we simply decided to pretend the position doesn't exist". That guy was right.:D

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
You can tell all that just by looking at the stats?;)

Steve

No I can tell because in the past I would stay up late to catch the games, or set my alarm to wake up early to watch the late games.

This team right now I watch the first half and fall asleep or turn it off.

This team is just a poopy old patchwork team with no future. There is no point watching them closely until the front office brings in players we can look forward to in the future or creates a contender.

Right now we have nothing and are an eternity away from changing either. Basically we are in the worst position possible.

- Not a championship contender? Check
- Not a playoff contender? Check
- Not over 500? Check
- Not in the high% lottery ranks? Check
- No Allstar? Check
- No young player with star potential? Check
- No young player with starter potential? Check
- No decent rookie since 2002 or 2003? Check (Amare or Barbosa depends on opinion)
- No young player with potential acquired since 2001? Check (JJ unless you consider a trade in the late first round to draft Barbosa..)
- gave away young players with potential? Check (Iguodala/Deng, Rondo etc)

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anybody know the starting line-ups for tonight, and who will be assigned to guard Stoudemire. I think Gortat is our best bet.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson