Jurassic World (aka JP4)

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Some spoilers here, dont read if you care.

Cheese is right on and I agree with Stout and the other assessments here as well.

Cheese I thought the only time that it even remotely came close to suspense was early on when Pratt was hiding under the car and used the gas. I was trying to tell my kids, this is how you felt the entire first movie pretty much. That first movie you were really scared of the dinosaurs. I thought maybe it's just because I'm old and jaded now, but my two daughters were never scared in this one.

As for the writing issues, yeah the Jeep was ridiculous. There were so many just weird, bizarre, freaking WHAT? moments with the writing, I dont know what they were thinking.

The owner went from a hippy go lucky, I dont care about profits, I only care about the people and the animals nice guy to a stereotypical greedy, stubborn, crass, I dont care if people are dying we're not closing monster in exactly one scene.

This wasn't annoying, just kindof sad and funny lol. Why did the director hate the babysitter so much? I mean yeah she was a crappy babysitter but did her death really need to be that graphic and go on for what felt like forever? Her death had like 7 stages, Lol this chick gets snagged up by flying dinos, dropped, snagged again, dropped in the giant croc tank, picked up, dunked under water several times, slammed around, snagged up again and finally eaten by two at the same time. lol it wasn't bloody, but it was one of the most brutal on screen deaths I've ever seen in a family film lol

So then later when they get in the chopper to go kill the thing with the big gun and the owner is flying and out of the blue, really kindof out of place, he asks the guy next to him if he served, and the guy is like, yeah in Afghanistan! 2 seconds later the guy is dead. Like why did they insert the line about him being a veteran if it didn't mean anything? lol it was just werid. Was it supposed to make us care? What an odd thing to do.

The flare thing with the t rex was ridiculous too.

But the thing that stuck out the most was the very end, why were guys with machine guns patrolling around the survivors. There were a handful of guys strolling amongst the wounded beds in the hangar, with guns, like what were they doing? If anything they are there protecting people from Dinosaurs so why aren't the guys with guns outside the building? But that's not even the stupidest part of that scene, because what exactly is happening here? Are you seriously telling me that they are still on the island and thus why they need guys with guns to protect them? So the world didn't send ships to evacuate these people from the island, they actually sent the families of the survivors to pick them up? Pick them up, you know, from the island where there are still man eating T rexes and Raptors and a thousand flying killer dinos??

What, the, crap. lol

Last edited:

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
I think the biggest reason there was no tension is every scene telegraphed who would be eaten and who would escape. Workerbee we just saw two seconds ago - he's dead. Cool guy/Hot chick/Cute kids - they live. Fat security guard - might as well be wearing a red shirt. Etc., ... I did like the nods to the original, right up until the flare scene. Went to the well one too many times with that one.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Cheese is right on and I agree with Stout and the other assessments here as well.

Cheese I thought the only time that it even remotely came close to suspense was early on when Pratt was hiding under the car and used the gas. I was trying to tell my kids, this is how you felt the entire first movie pretty much. That first movie you were really scared of the dinosaurs. I thought maybe it's just because I'm old and jaded now, but my two daughters were never scared in this one.

As for the writing issues, yeah the Jeep was ridiculous. There were so many just weird, bizarre, freaking WHAT? moments with the writing, I dont know what they were thinking.

The owner went from a hippy go lucky, I dont care about profits, I only care about the people and the animals nice guy to a stereotypical greedy, stubborn, crass, I dont care if people are dying we're not closing monster in exactly one scene.

Then, lol Why did the director hate the babysitter so much? I mean yeah she was a crappy babysitter but did her death really need to be that graphic and go on for what felt like forever? Lol this chick gets snagged up by flying dinos, dropped, snagged again, dropped in the giant croc tank, picked up, dunked under water like 10 times, slammed around, snagged up again and finally eaten by two at the same time. lol it wasn't bloody, but it was one of the most brutal on screen deaths I've ever seen in a family film lol

So then later when they get in the chopper to go kill the thing with the big gun and the owner is flying and out of the blue, really kindof out of place, he asks the guy next to him if he served, and the guy is like, yeah in Afghanistan! 2 seconds later the guy is dead. Like why did they insert the line about him being a veteran if it didn't mean anything? lol it was just werid. Was it supposed to make us care? What an odd thing to do.

The owner was playing a bit of ego I think...because he asked then, "so, did your general ever ride into battle with you?"

the movie was pretty weak...so predictable I almost felt like I wrote it myself....years ago......
okay as a popcorn movie,...but you can bet it will be on TV over and over again in a couple years...

maybe a hidden moral to the story,...anyone else notice that the natural dino's teamed up to eliminate the technologically designed dino?

saw this in RealD...should have seen San Andreas instead,...but I was out voted and it aint my birthday...oh well.... two misses in a row this spring, with this and poltergeist.... really need a slump buster.......

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought this movie was awesome! To me, it was the best of all 4. The dinosaurs in it were cool as hell and even though predictable, it was very entertaining. Funny parts and great special effects. I saw it in the regular theater and I could only imagine how cool it would be in 3D or Imax. So the last 2 movies I have seen (this and Entourage) have been fantastic. If this is any indication of how good the rest of this years movies are going to be, then it's gonna be a great movie year for me. Next up- Magic Mike XXL! JK

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

Then, lol Why did the director hate the babysitter so much? I mean yeah she was a crappy babysitter but did her death really need to be that graphic and go on for what felt like forever? Lol this chick gets snagged up by flying dinos, dropped, snagged again, dropped in the giant croc tank, picked up, dunked under water like 10 times, slammed around, snagged up again and finally eaten by two at the same time. lol it wasn't bloody, but it was one of the most brutal on screen deaths I've ever seen in a family film lol

Agreed. The flare scene was absolutely ridiculous. The last 45 minutes were pretty intense, but that scene nearly ruined it.

Like you mentioned, plenty of weird writing. Pratt saved the day though. He was a beast in all his scenes.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. The flare scene was absolutely ridiculous. The last 45 minutes were pretty intense, but that scene nearly ruined it.

Like you mentioned, plenty of weird writing. Pratt saved the day though. He was a beast in all his scenes.

Well, I wasn't expecting Shakespeare or Hemingway and so was not surprised by the weak plot and some flat characters. So, I actually enjoyed it a little more than I thought I would. It was what it was, good action, but it will be easily forgettable.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

RUINED it? Seriously? Why? It was definitely a call back to the first movie. And it was definitely played for the "Hell yeah!" factor. Did you not notice that??

I don't think it was as good as the first movie, but it was better than the other 2 and it was one of those rare movies that made me want to see it again as soon as the end credits started rolling. Sure, I would have liked more character moments and I didn't like Pratt's wooden delivery in a lot of scenes, but if the studio tells you to make a movie with dinosaur mayhem, well, here it is in spades.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
RUINED it? Seriously? Why? It was definitely a call back to the first movie. And it was definitely played for the "Hell yeah!" factor. Did you not notice that??

I don't think it was as good as the first movie, but it was better than the other 2 and it was one of those rare movies that made me want to see it again as soon as the end credits started rolling. Sure, I would have liked more character moments and I didn't like Pratt's wooden delivery in a lot of scenes, but if the studio tells you to make a movie with dinosaur mayhem, well, here it is in spades.

Ruined it because the chick waited until the T-Rex was right on top of her (stupid) and then somehow outran it--IN HEELS! I can see how that would ruin it for them. It was part of what made this movie fail for me.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ruined it because the chick waited until the T-Rex was right on top of her (stupid) and then somehow outran it--IN HEELS! I can see how that would ruin it for them. It was part of what made this movie fail for me.

I'm sorry, but give me a break. Even the filmmakers are making fun of the heels thing. But so what? If it takes something that small to ruin an entire movie for you, then it's no wonder you hate every movie. :)

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but give me a break. Even the filmmakers are making fun of the heels thing. But so what? If it takes something that small to ruin an entire movie for you, then it's no wonder you hate every movie. :)

:lmao:

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

I said it nearly ruined it. I was loving the last 45 minutes and then that scene just made me laugh and killed the momentum. I didn't know she could run as fast as a jeep! The fight afterward was filippin awesome.

I still had fun though. Definitely an improvement from 2&3.

But like Bert mentioned, it had some strange writing.

Stout

Reaction score

I said it was only part of what ruined it for me--I was answering on another's behalf. When a movie is riddled with problems like that, then a movie will certainly be ruined for me. So what, you say? Because it's bad, stupid, lazy film making. You, of all people, should want a decent standard in the script and direction.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I said it was only part of what ruined it for me--I was answering on another's behalf. When a movie is riddled with problems like that, then a movie will certainly be ruined for me. So what, you say? Because it's bad, stupid, lazy film making. You, of all people, should want a decent standard in the script and direction.

It's JURASSIC WORLD, not the story of an obscure English painter and his relationship with his housekeeper. There are certain things you have to suspend your disbelief on. I would love if a big budget Jurassic Park movie (or any big budget movie) had no mistakes, but that's not going to happen most of the time. The first movie is full of them, yet I still love it.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Man, some of you guys are jaded. I thought it was a great summer blockbuster popcorn movie. It has a great mix of action, humor, and suspense. Cracks me up when dudes complain that a dinosaur movie wasn't realistic.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ah, come on. Just watch the Mel Gibson version of "Hamlet" and that will make you appreciate "Jurassic World" a lot more. In fact, that will work for any movie you don't like. :D

Stout

Reaction score
Yeah, suspension of disbelief is fine and dandy, but it's no substitute for lazy, poor writing. The movie wasn't very good to me. I have no idea why I have to hold the same opinion as you on this topic, Chap.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yeah, suspension of disbelief is fine and dandy, but it's no substitute for lazy, poor writing. The movie wasn't very good to me. I have no idea why I have to hold the same opinion as you on this topic, Chap.

Exactly. It's a movie about dinosaurs but it's still rooted in reality it's not a slapstick comedy,. So when the writers are lazy and insert crap that makes no sense I think we're entitled to call them on it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Hmm, not sure where I said "you have to hold the same opinion as me". I just want to figure out why your opinions never make any sense. ;)

Reaction score

I don't think the heels thing would have been that bad if she wasn't called out on it by Pratt earlier. The heels came to mind when she started running because of the comment.