John Brown, only practice and preseason but

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
He is better than Tavon Austin and more of what the Rams where expecting but we were able to get in a much later pick... I have seen enough, even this early :)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems like every year we get wound up about some WR in the preseason and then they wind up not doing much down the line. (Stephen Williams, anyone?) But, the fact that this kid went out there with the first string and lit it up is very impressive. He just looked like a 5 year vet and Stanton had him wide open on a bomb that he underthrew and got the PI. John Brown was about two steps clear of the CB when the pass was thrown.

I'm excited to see more from him.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
He was under thrown to a few times and was always wide open. How does he constantly get that open. The think that scares me is that teams will start to plan for him more and he won't be that open. If that happens, that will leave Fitz or Floyd open, so I guess that's a good thing. Like what I saw. Hope it continues through the season!

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It seems like every year we get wound up about some WR in the preseason and then they wind up not doing much down the line. (Stephen Williams, anyone?) But, the fact that this kid went out there with the first string and lit it up is very impressive. He just looked like a 5 year vet and Stanton had him wide open on a bomb that he underthrew and got the PI. John Brown was about two steps clear of the CB when the pass was thrown.

For the most part we keep thinking of Stephen Williams, and his let down was so great in the regular season that we seemed to have convinced ourselves that there where more like him when there really was not. John Brown is for real. Not only is he quick, but he knows how to run routes and get separation

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

You know what's really exciting? Picture this . . .

Second and 5 . . . Cardinals come out in single back, four wide. Fitz, Floyd, Ginn, Brown. And, oh wait, what's this? Ellington is flexing out into the slot.

The opposing team's DC faints on the sideline . . .;)

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
John Brown was extremely impressive. He looked like a seasoned pro out there running his routes and was open on every single passing play that I saw. He did have 2 drops that I feel he should have hauled in but for his first ever pro game I'm not too worried about those right now.

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Carson Palmer gave us a heads up on John Brown , we just didn't pay proper attention .
How many QB's take a 3rd. rnd. pick rec. into their home during the off-season , and give him personal tutoring and schooling in the playbook and route running with lots of practice sessions ? I believe Palmer saw " SPECIAL " written on this youngster !

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nah, that was Walt Powell

Nope that was John brown. Some people on here were calling for front office people to be fired over this pick despite the pick getting all kinds of love on TV

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
He was under thrown to a few times and was always wide open. How does he constantly get that open. The think that scares me is that teams will start to plan for him more and he won't be that open. If that happens, that will leave Fitz or Floyd open, so I guess that's a good thing. Like what I saw. Hope it continues through the season!

Unreal how open he was. Open on just about every play. Good route running, proper technique, and the threat of 4.34 speed I guess.

The offense can be deadly with Fitz, Floyd, Ellington, Brown, and perhaps even Housler catching passes. The days of double teaming Fitz every passing down are long gone.

Last edited:

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Carson Palmer gave us a heads up on John Brown , we just didn't pay proper attention .
How many QB's take a 3rd. rnd. pick rec. into their home during the off-season , and give him personal tutoring and schooling in the playbook and route running with lots of practice sessions ? I believe Palmer saw " SPECIAL " written on this youngster !

My favorite part of all this is when they were interviewing Palmer about it he said he wouldnt normally do that but his faith in BA and Moore is such that he knew the kid must be good and knew they would be playing together. That says alot.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:stick:

Too much hype he'll be injured and out for year in next week

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Until he does it in the regular season, I am not prepared to say he is better than any player who has produced in actual NFL games. That being said, he is showing the burst and elusiveness of players like TY Hilton, Desean Jackson, Percy Harvin and, at times, Tavon Austin.

If I am putting my scout hat on, I would say that John Brown is in a better situation to be successful than Tavon Austin. Because of his high draft status, there will always be pressure from whoever is the Rams offensive coordinator to line Austin up outside and in most formations. This is going to subject him to being jammed at the LOS and being exposed as a limited blocker. Arians is completely comfortable with limiting John Brown's exposure to those situations until he is able to show that he can exploit them.

I believe Tavon Austin'ws career is going to mirror Ted Ginn's. Explosive but limited player, whose value will be as much on STs and it will be on offense.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Until he does it in the regular season, I am not prepared to say he is better than any player who has produced in actual NFL games. That being said, he is showing the burst and elusiveness of players like TY Hilton, Desean Jackson, Percy Harvin and, at times, Tavon Austin.

If I am putting my scout hat on, I would say that John Brown is in a better situation to be successful than Tavon Austin. Because of his high draft status, there will always be pressure from whoever is the Rams offensive coordinator to line Austin up outside and in most formations. This is going to subject him to being jammed at the LOS and being exposed as a limited blocker. Arians is completely comfortable with limiting John Brown's exposure to those situations until he is able to show that he can exploit them.

I believe Tavon Austin'ws career is going to mirror Ted Ginn's. Explosive but limited player, whose value will be as much on STs and it will be on offense.

Interesting points. I think also that John Brown is going to be helped by never having to be more than the 3rd option in the offense, and frequently the 4th or 5th. Austin is in the inenviable position of having to be the best player on that offense until they somehow draft someone higher, and he's shackled with an not-innovative offensive coordinator who doesn't know what to do with anyone aside from sending them on three- to seven-yard crossing routes and hoping for the best.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Interesting points. I think also that John Brown is going to be helped by never having to be more than the 3rd option in the offense, and frequently the 4th or 5th. Austin is in the inenviable position of having to be the best player on that offense until they somehow draft someone higher, and he's shackled with an not-innovative offensive coordinator who doesn't know what to do with anyone aside from sending them on three- to seven-yard crossing routes and hoping for the best.

Agreed. You can't put Austin in the position to be a number two, much less a 1. Those guys will get killed going over the middle underneath. Brown doesn't have that pressure. He can do his thing, beating guys with pure speed. He can excel in that role. Austin is set up for failure until they can get a true number one.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Go 4-wide. Ginn on one side, Brown on the other. Have them blow the top off of coverage and let Fitz/Floyd do their thing underneath.

Or Geeze, go Trips and have Golden, Brown, and Ginn line up on one side. Who is going to cover maybe the 3 fastest guys on the field?

So many options and those aren't even our top WR's!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kid lived up to the hype in his first go at it. if he ends up being what it looks like he could be, this passing offense is going to be terrifying for opposing defenses.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kid lived up to the hype in his first go at it. if he ends up being what it looks like he could be, this passing offense is going to be terrifying for opposing defenses.

This is it for now.

The kid did the best he could do in Test #1. He is still a long way from burning the 49ers in game 3 when it REALLY counts.

Let's see if he continues to grow as defenses start to catch on to how good he is.