John Brown, only practice and preseason but

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He is better than Tavon Austin and more of what the Rams where expecting but we were able to get in a much later pick... I have seen enough, even this early :)

As I said in another post; my wife works for the president of PSU and was very happy to see him come to the Cards. I will be happier than anyone when he kills in the NFL.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“I haven’t seen a rookie come in and do what he’s done — and it’s early still — since Anquan Boldin,” Keim said. “This guy came through the first day, and being from Pittsburg State, has uncanny instincts, unbelievable understanding of route concepts, leverage, being in the right spot at the right time.”

Keim said he hasn’t seen any of their players able to cover Brown so far during training camp. He also said he would have been “irate” if they hadn’t landed Brown in the draft.
Link.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
This is it for now.

The kid did the best he could do in Test #1. He is still a long way from burning the 49ers in game 3 when it REALLY counts.

Let's see if he continues to grow as defenses start to catch on to how good he is.

If DC's game plan for him, they're not game planning for Larry, Floyd or our other receiving threats. This offense has the potential to keep many a defensive coordinator up the night before game day.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
His game was great but waiting to see if he can be consistent and do the same against scheming defenses.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His game was great but waiting to see if he can be consistent and do the same against scheming defenses.

I don't see that as an issue. The WR position has such an advantage over the defensive secondary because of the rules, it's by far the most likely position for a rookie to shine.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm still impressed reading from multiple sources that he can change direction and make cuts and run routes without slowing his momentum or speed. No chopping the feet, shoulder faking, settling down in his hips, or slowing down. For a DB that is virtually impossible to cover when you're backpedaling and also trying to change direction with him. And if the DB turns his hips to run strides with the dude and he cuts, it's over, there's no way to recover. Given that BA uses multiple route trees with varying depths on any given route, depending on coverage, he will be really tough to cover. My favorite play Saturday was when he was lined up to the left of the center and bracketed with a LB underneath, the CB over the top slanted toward the middle, and a safety shading him toward the sidelines. He broke inside and caught an easy 15 yarder. BA and others talk about his speed but that isn't what he abused the Texans with, it was his route running. He was open, it seemed like all the time. BA even said he should have had 10 catches for 200 yards in the first half, but some of the passes were off.

Even at such an early stage, I'd really prefer him as our #3. One preseason game doesn't make a player but this didn't come out of nowhere. He's been talked about (by people who know, apparently) in college and talked about all training camp, and now the first preseason game. I want to see more, but I don't need to see much more to put him @ 3.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't see that as an issue. The WR position has such an advantage over the defensive secondary because of the rules, it's by far the most likely position for a rookie to shine.

Maybe "contribute in a defined role," but the sophistication of modern offenses makes it exceptionally difficult for a rookie to "shine."

Just ask Michael Floyd.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe "contribute in a defined role," but the sophistication of modern offenses makes it exceptionally difficult for a rookie to "shine."

Just ask Michael Floyd.

Floyd did not have a terrible rookie year.

Maybe a closer comparison in skill set and draft position to John Brown is TY Hilton, drafted the same year as Floyd in the 3rd round. If John Brown is in the same ballpark as Hilton for his first two seasons, Cards fans will be over the moon.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
How did Hilton do his first year?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just ask Michael Floyd.

I think Floyd was a bit of an outlier though, it took him much longer than normal to learn just something as simple as where to lineup. I can't recall ever seeing a QB have to move a player at the LOS more than Kolb had to move Floyd in the first part of that season.

It almost got to the point of wondering if they were doing it on purpose to confuse the defense or something but they weren't.

I think with Arians' offense it's that he apparently uses more sight adjustments than many coaches, that's something that's difficult for a rookie and we saw last year how tough it was for veteran Wr's and Palmer to get on the same page with that.