Joe Alt

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Well since we moved down to #4 we have to seriously consider Joe Alt. He is a good LT prospect and would give us 2 bookend tackles for the next few years. Some people may prefer the PSU guy, but I'll take Alts experience and reliability. He is a better prospect than Paris, and would be one of the few guys I think is well above the next option at his position.

Now, if we are going to move Paris to LT...then I would not take Alt to play him.as a RT. there are guys we may be able to get with the Texans pick who could play RT. Problem is, I couldn't tell you who to pick at #4. It seems too high for any of the CBs or Edge guys or the remaining WRs. I have no idea what the trade down options will be at 4 unless people fall in love with Daniels.

A big part of me says take Alt...trade or release Humphries, sign a LG in free agency and have probably the most talented Oline the cards have put on the field in 20 years

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
All things the same - I’m taking the Notre Dame offensive lineman over the Penn State offensive lineman every time. I’d be happy with ever though.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I don't pretend to know which tackle to take but if MHJ is gone that is the obvious choice. Trade Humphreys for what you can get and solidify your bookends for the foreseeable future.

OP
OP
F

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
If DJ has a major knee injury, I'd expect us to move on and this would make sense. A post June 1st cut us $6 million in dead money, but $16 million in cap savings.

Wrong tackle ;)
We're not getting anything in trade for DJ...but the cap.savings could go directly to the best Left Guard in FA.

I MUCH prefer Alt to The PSU guy....sorry I can't even come close to spelling his name. Alt is rock solid and I don't want another project olineman. Just draft the kid, plug him in at LT and let him roll. His experience and durability do negate some of the fears of starting a rookie at LT...at least for me.

OP
OP
F

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Disagree.

On another note - his contract does seem to be flexible (for post June 1 decision).

You must be registered for see images attach
He might be hurt....and he is going to need a new contract regardless. Maybe we get someone willing to do a late round oick swap...but I don't think we're getting calls about him

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If DJ has a major knee injury, I'd expect us to move on and this would make sense. A post June 1st cut us $6 million in dead money, but $16 million in cap savings.

Cap savings that you can't access before June 1st.

And it's a $13.8m 'dead' money hit that would be split over two years.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

While you can't access it, you can designate it early and agree to terms with another player and then sign after June 1st. Happens all the time.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I think the o-line is fine. The more they’ve played together, the better they’ve been. I don’t think we need to spend a 1st round pick on this unit.

If DJ is okay I think you play him at LT for 2024 and find a Kyzir white type FA signing at LG. Keep colon and Wilkinson for depth. If necessary for 2025 move PJ to LT and then find a RTOTF.

But I’d spend a first round pick on the defense way before I would on the o-line.

Offense is actually close. I think we’re maybe two or three players away from being dominant on that side of the ball.

Defense needs a lot of help though.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A dominant pass rusher or a d-lineman the can stop the run and get pressure up the middle would be nice.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Disagree.

On another note - his contract does seem to be flexible (for post June 1 decision).

You must be registered for see images attach
I concur, DJ would likely fetch a third. It’s a good contract for the buyer. Teams like the Chargers, that hope to compete for playoffs in 2024, would prefer a vet OT protecting Herbert, not a rookie.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I concur, DJ would likely fetch a third. It’s a good contract for the buyer. Teams like the Chargers, that hope to compete for playoffs in 2024, would prefer a vet OT protecting Herbert, not a rookie.
Yeah LT is such a premium position that an average one should have value. If you can draft one and have him for five years on a cheaper controlled deal go for it.

OP
OP
F

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score

We could also just cut him anytime and eat the cap hit in 1 year. Especially if we draft his replacement. Splitting "dead cap" over 2 years only matters when you are able to attract big FA...which we will not be able to do after this season. Anyone we get we will have to outbid other teams substantially or take a gamble on a guy that most other teams dont want. That is why our best shot to flip the roster is through the draft.

Spend 4 out of our first 5 picks in the trenches. Hope Kyler gets back to a probowl level, and then watch skill position players want to play here.

OP
OP
F

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Not if his knee is blown. He wasnt exactly great this year either. I respect your opinion, but if we got offered a 3rd for DJ we should take it in a second. We could draft his replacement with that 3rd rounder and he would instantly be better than DJ has ever been for 1/8th the price.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not if his knee is blown. He wasnt exactly great this year either. I respect your opinion, but if we got offered a 3rd for DJ we should take it in a second. We could draft his replacement with that 3rd rounder and he would instantly be better than DJ has ever been for 1/8th the price.
Well before DJ leaves we should have Arians’s foot removed from his ass as we might have to use it for someone from the upcoming draft.

It certainly worked for DJ:)

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Wow, that take is…optimistic?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Getting OT's Alt or Fashanu would be a major add to the team. Having bookend tackles would be a significant boost for our passing game. There are lots of good WRs in this draft and here is a list of potential free gents from ProFootballnetwork.com:

1) Tee Higgins
2) Mike Evans
3) Calvin Ridley
4) Michael Pittman Jr.
5) Marquise Brown
6) Gabe Davis
7) Darnell Mooney
8) Donovan Peoples-Jones
9) Curtis Samuel
10) Tyler Boyd

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting OT's Alt or Fashanu would be a major add to the team. Having bookend tackles would be a significant boost for our passing game. There are lots of good WRs in this draft and here is a list of potential free gents from ProFootballnetwork.com:

1) Tee Higgins
2) Mike Evans
3) Calvin Ridley
4) Michael Pittman Jr.
5) Marquise Brown
6) Gabe Davis
7) Darnell Mooney
8) Donovan Peoples-Jones
9) Curtis Samuel
10) Tyler Boyd
Door number 6 please.

Staff online