Jay Glazer last night: "Whisenhunt was Cards guy all along".

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
All the talk about Mike Sherman was justified but only because the Cards initially thought that they had very little chance of landing Whisenhunt. Glazer applauded the Cards for their aggressive approach and said that Whisenhunt was their guy all along and that Sherman only became an option when they started to worry that they couldn't get Whisenhunt.

Great hiring!!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went from:

I want Carroll, to

I want Carroll, Rivera, or Chow, and finally settled with

I want anyone but Sherman.

Great hiring!

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
All the talk about Mike Sherman was justified but only because the Cards initially thought that they had very little chance of landing Whisenhunt. Glazer applauded the Cards for their aggressive approach and said that Whisenhunt was their guy all along and that Sherman only became an option when they started to worry that they couldn't get Whisenhunt.

Great hiring!!

He also said that the Cardinals didn't feel Whis wanted the job initially so they turned elsewhere. Then somewhere along the way, he realized the opportunity was a good for him and started to get interested.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Cant blame the guy for wanting the Steeler job. Glad he see's potential here...

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I love the hire, but what happens if the next Steelers coach fails...will the Cards need to worry about losing the Whiz?

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Not if he's locked into a contract.

We've all seen that contracts really do not mean anything today. As long as fair compensation is paid a coach can move from team to team. Could he be the Roy Williams (Kansas vs. North Carolina) of the NFL?...Every year the Cards worrying if Whis's heart is still in Pittsburgh?

roland77

Rookie
Reaction score
"We've all seen that contracts really do not mean anything today. As long as fair compensation is paid a coach can move from team to team. Could he be the Roy Williams (Kansas vs. North Carolina) of the NFL?...Every year the Cards worrying if Whis's heart is still in Pittsburgh?"

It doesn't work that way in the NFL. If someone really wanted Whisenhunt, you would still have to trade for him, just like a player under contract. Bouncing between the NFL and college and back is different. Last time it happened I believe is when Tampa got Gruden as coach form Oakland, and gave up at least 2 1st round picks.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't work that way in the NFL. If someone really wanted Whisenhunt, you would still have to trade for him, just like a player under contract. Bouncing between the NFL and college and back is different. Last time it happened I believe is when Tampa got Gruden as coach form Oakland, and gave up at least 2 1st round picks.
Beyong the NFL not working that way, the Steelers don't work that way. Whoever they hire as the HC will likely be there through 3 or 4 Cards' HCs.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
"We've all seen that contracts really do not mean anything today. As long as fair compensation is paid a coach can move from team to team. Could he be the Roy Williams (Kansas vs. North Carolina) of the NFL?...Every year the Cards worrying if Whis's heart is still in Pittsburgh?"

I meant this to be fair compensation to the team. It can and has happened. It might not happen a lot, though.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless the new Steelers coach fails.
Even then, the Steelers stay the course during down years--it'd have to be more than three-years of very sub-par preformance, IMO. I don't see the new steelers coach going anywhere in less than 5 years, and he'll probably last much longer than that.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
We've all seen that contracts really do not mean anything today. As long as fair compensation is paid a coach can move from team to team. Could he be the Roy Williams (Kansas vs. North Carolina) of the NFL?...Every year the Cards worrying if Whis's heart is still in Pittsburgh?

When Tampa or was it Miami hired their HC a few years ago they had to trade for him. It cost them several high draft picks and some $$$$. If you are a HC under contract it is not that inexpensive to get out. Assistants can normally move without much problem if the move is considered a promotion.

NFL_FAN

NFL_FAN
Reaction score
I like the Wiz. Great guy with solid experience. I would love a Saints like turnaround. I only hope that Bill Sr, Michael and Rod give him the freedom and money to get his staff in place. Our OC and DC combined for @$750,000 annually and per Gambo and Ash, that is less than the average for one of these positions across the league. Pay up Michael and Bill or expect more of the same. And I don't want to see a figure greater than a few million under the cap this year!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard