Jacobsen thinks he ''earned'' some minutes!

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/0401suns0401.html

''So will Jacobsen be there tonight when the Suns play host to the Denver Nuggets?

"I may have earned some minutes, but I'm not going to expect to play because when you do that, you set yourself up for disappointment," Jacobsen said. "Of course it bothers me when I don't play. But it's not about me right now, or about how many minutes I play. It's about what the team is doing to get into the playoffs. I still feel like I'm contributing a lot to the team right now."''

---
LOL How can he say that after such a sorry ass performance against Indiana. He drove twice to the basket picked up an offensive foul and got rejected the other time and didn't play good in any area of the game.

''Johnson said he stuck with Jacobsen because he liked the way the Suns' small lineup was working against the Pacers, and because Indiana was respecting Jacobsen's ability to hit perimeter shots.

"That opens up the floor for everybody," Johnson said''
---

Perimeter shots? The only shots I have seen Jacobsen hitting were wide open spot up jumpers so far and even those he isn't hitting very well.

Playing 4 guards will always open the floor because why would the other team camp in the paint when we take out our big guys anyway? I can't believe that Frank Johnson makes it sound that simple. He should have tried to play Googs if he wanted someone else to spread the floor. Joe Johnson and Shawn Marion are better shooters than Jacobsen anyway.

And how did the small lineup work against the Pacers? Did we win the game?

If he liked small ball, he should at least let our best small players play.

Casey seems to have a little bit of Penny Hardaway in himself. I read several quotes from him this season when he basically complained about playing time etc. He talks as if he was our highschool lottery pick ROY.

Maybe this article is an April fools joke? :)

Last edited:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't believe that comments about Jacobson playing because they were spreading the floor. Even if that was true it was costing them big-time on the other end. They couldn't stop the Pacers to save their lives. I'm really starting to think that BC might have something with his complaints about the sons always hiring retired guards as their coaches. They are going to need to work this summer on getting Amare Stoudemire more involved in the offense because Marbury has been dominating the ball too much lately.

Joe Mama

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
I couldn't believe that comments about Jacobson playing because they were spreading the floor. Even if that was true it was costing them big-time on the other end. They couldn't stop the Pacers to save their lives. I'm really starting to think that BC might have something with his complaints about the sons always hiring retired guards as their coaches. They are going to need to work this summer on getting Amare Stoudemire more involved in the offense because Marbury has been dominating the ball too much lately.

Joe Mama

Lets bring KJ in or Maybe Barkley to run this squad. FJ has realy started to get on my bad side. We have some good (not great) Big men that can play some fing D. Amare, Marion, JJ, Steph, Hardway, These are the ones to score everyone else should be boxing out and trying to get the rebound. All I see if the small ball sucks we get out rebouned and blocked night after night. Try something new Frank go big not small. Sure it will slow the game down but not to many teams have a 7fter that can match up with Big Jake. Sure Googs can stay on the bench but play Big Jake (if he is healty)

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I am not usually one to second guess the coach, but I am concerned with what we are seeing.
I mean does big Jake have a future with this team or not? All we heard while he was injured was it will be nice to get some size out on the floor. Now where is he? sitting on the bench, DNP, coaches decision.

Casey is case in point 20 min after sitting for 5 games?

It is like we are reacting to other teams instead of making a plan and attacking. Lets make someone react to us!

I wouldn't mind seeing Paul Silas as the next Suns coach if available.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Dont trash Casey yet. He's going through his rookie motions. He's trying too hard, ill admit that. But if he were to get consistant minutes (like earlier in the season) we'll see that he can contribute. None of you experts were ragging him earlier. You were praising his toughness and shooting ability. :rolleyes:

I dont mean to sound harsh but it's reality. Opinions change on this board as many times as I change my underwear.

Casey was an incredible college player who just needs to adjust to the NBA style. This guy hustles his ass off and eventually his natural talent will intertwine with the NBA game. Then all of you will proclaim how great the draft pick was.

Im not saying he will be a star, but he could develope into a very deadly shooter, hustle player off the bench.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by WastedFate
Dont trash Casey yet. He's going through his rookie motions. He's trying too hard, ill admit that. But if he were to get consistant minutes (like earlier in the season) we'll see that he can contribute. None of you experts were ragging him earlier. You were praising his toughness and shooting ability. :rolleyes:

I dont mean to sound harsh but it's reality. Opinions change on this board as many times as I change my underwear.

Casey was an incredible college player who just needs to adjust to the NBA style. This guy hustles his ass off and eventually his natural talent will intertwine with the NBA game. Then all of you will proclaim how great the draft pick was.

Im not saying he will be a star, but he could develope into a very deadly shooter, hustle player off the bench.
I never was sold on Jacobsen but I completely agree.

Why does Jacobsen deserve bashing?Because he made two bad decisions in 1 minute?
Come on.
He is a rookie backup SG and he has a decent rookie season.
Who did expect more from him right now?

He just doesn't,can't and probably won't make the difference.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I didnt mean to sound so harsh, but I posted that after home at 5:00AM from work and only sleeping for a few hours. But come on, he's a friggin rookie.

Last edited:

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Originally posted by WastedFate

I am not saying he is not worth anything. IMO his comments about getting more playing time is not warranted and if it hurts the team by him complaining then the Suns need to make a choice. We are way to crowed at the SG spot for him to be asking for more minutes. JJ has done well and Penney is valuable so if we play Casey whose minutes are getting cut? He can not handle the ball well enough to play point and he is too small and light to be matched up with SF. He will get some play next year but right now we are trying to make the playoffs and with Googs, Big Jake, and now Casey whining about playing time this can not be good.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The truth is that Jacobsen is doing NOTHING at least as good as our other 2-guards.

He can't create his own shot, he can't hit open shots consistently, he has no midrange game, his drives to the baskets are almost always forced and he completes only a low percentage. Eddie Johnson even noticed during the last game that teams have scouting reports on Jacobsen and know that he is forcing those drives because his outside perimeter game isn't that good.

Whenever Jacobsen gets in the game, the other teams start running plays to attack Jacobsen right away.

I don't see how he will ever get minutes as long as we have Penny and JJ. Especially JJ has shown great talent and potential consistently now, if only he would finish stronger and please us with some dunks at 6'8 athletic and strong he should be dunking on people instead he often throws up a circus layup shot.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
"I may have earned some minutes, but I'm not going to expect to play because when you do that, you set yourself up for disappointment," Jacobsen said. "Of course it bothers me when I don't play. But it's not about me right now, or about how many minutes I play. It's about what the team is doing to get into the playoffs. I still feel like I'm contributing a lot to the team right now."''

Maybe I missed something, but where was he complaining about PT??

His first sentence said that he MAY have earned some playing time, but he will not expect it. The way his response was worded, it sounds to me as if a reporter asked him if he felt he earned some more time. If that is the case, he handled it perfect.

Second sentence was obviously in response to a question. Now what type of question I do not know, but you can tell form the sentence structure tha the was answering someone. Is he supposed to be like, na I do not care if I play, I just want to get paid??? All he says is what the PERFECT team player should say. He wants to be out there, but it is not about him....it is about the team.

Hell, he even follows it up with saying how he thinks he is contributing right now. Personally, I took this as he helps out in practice, he cheers on his teammates ect. ect. When you look at the bench, the biggest supporters are Voskhul, Williams, CJ and Outlaw from what i have seen. They are always laughing, screaming, clapping whatever it takes to get everyone pumped.

Now about FJ leaving him in there....I cannot say that I agree with him, but I can see some reasoning behind it. All year long FJ has stayed with the hot group, not caring who it is. Remember when he sat Steph the entire 4th quarter once just because the people on the floor got them back into a game?? In the 4th quarter both teams scored 18 points. The suns made a couple of runs at Indy, but just couldnt close it out. The 4th quarter was actually the only quarter they were not outscored in, so actually the lineup did a better job then most of the other lineups.

Like I said, I personally would have had Hardaway out there, but I can at least see why CJ may have been there instead. I don't think that FJ made a good arguement about it, so maybe I am seeing things he didn't, or he was just ambushed by reporters after the game and didnt think it all out.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Always every time we hear something from Casey which is pretty often and seems like he opens his mouth more than Amare, it seems like we hear from him about how hard it is for him to sit on the bench and that he was the main guy in Stanford. At some point at the beginning of the season I am 100% sure there were some quotes and interviews when he talked like he might deserve the starting spot...

I am just sick of Jacobsen doing so much talking. Keep your mouth shut and work on your game.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scoring 18 points in a quarter is nothing to write home about. The strength of Casey Jacobsen's game is not his defense, and Frank Johnson said he was in there to spread the offense. Call at rust or whenever, but CJ has not looked very good in what little time we've seen him this week. Hardaway can spread a defense every bit as well as Jacobsen, and he's better at virtually every other part of the game as well.

It was poor coaching.

I really don't have a problem with what Casey Jacobsen said. It probably could have been worded better, but it wasn't that bad.

Joe Mama

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by slinslin
Always every time we hear something from Casey which is pretty often and seems like he opens his mouth more than Amare, it seems like we hear from him about how hard it is for him to sit on the bench and that he was the main guy in Stanford. At some point at the beginning of the season I am 100% sure there were some quotes and interviews when he talked like he might deserve the starting spot...

I am just sick of Jacobsen doing so much talking. Keep your mouth shut and work on your game.

This is ridiculous. Please put some quotes down. I've never, ever heard Casey come across like you're saying.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
Scoring 18 points in a quarter is nothing to write home about. The strength of Casey Jacobsen's game is not his defense, and Frank Johnson said he was in there to spread the offense. Call at rust or whenever, but CJ has not looked very good in what little time we've seen him this week. Hardaway can spread a defense every bit as well as Jacobsen, and he's better at virtually every other part of the game as well.

It was poor coaching.

I really don't have a problem with what Casey Jacobsen said. It probably could have been worded better, but it wasn't that bad.

Joe Mama

I said I would have rather seen hardaway in, but my point was it has always been the coaching staff's position to leave the lineup who had the most success in, reguardless of who it is. While 18 points is pathetic, it still was the only quarter we did not loose.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think some people on this board have a littel too much time on their hands to be putting every little thing a player says under a microscope like that. grahamcrackr nailed it. I didnt hear one whine in his speech, all I heard was a player who wanted to play but understood that the team comes before him.

Big deal.