It's Official...Erickson is the new Coach of ASU

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me as an ASU fan but never attended the school.... I say it's a good hire.

The thing that gets me is that the people who are against the hire are so quick to bring up things that happened so long ago and really kinda seem irrelavent at this point. Even background checks don't go that far back. Also the people that are for the hire are the same way. They are quick to tout NC's, but hey they were also eons ago as well.

I would tend to think that he has learned from mistakes so far in the past. I am more concerned with what he has done the last few years and focus on that. If he can win at Oregon St, then there is no reason he can't win here.

As far as academics are concerned, I just think it puts more onus on the AD and other folks to watch that kind of stuff. Isn't that their job in the first place?

Who cares if he leaves in 1 or two years? The only way that really happens is if he stinks it up and they fire him, or he leads ASU to the promised land, which will only make the job more attractive to the next coach.

Exactly....I would expect DE to elevate the play here but LL should be quietly looking for a replacement. One day, he will bolt...proof is in his own resume....the next coach will have to keep the momentum. Fine with me as long as LL is looking down the road because DE probably is as well.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a quote from President Crow to help you get over it:

"Dennis knows the rules here," Crow said. "The policy at the time at Miami was: If you test positive, then you go to due process, then your fate is determined.

"The policy at ASU is: If you test positive, you're out. Then you have due process and you might earn your way back in.

"So, Dennis knows the rules at ASU. He doesn't set the rules. We set them. He played by the rules at Miami. That's what they were."

And once again, Lisa Love stated she researched into the situation by reading the transcripts from the hearings and discussing the situation with the officials involved in the process and she was assured that he really did not know what was going on. I

Well with apologies to Crow, he might want to read the actual wording from the NCAA probation.

"In 1994, Tony Russell, a former University of Miami academic advisor, pleaded guilty to helping more than 80 student athletes, 57 of whom were football players, falsify Pell Grant applications in exchange for kickbacks from the players themselves. The Pell grant scandal dated all the way back to 1989 and secured more than $220,000 in federal grant money. In late 1995, the NCAA concluded that, in addition to the fraudulent Pell Grants facilitated by Mr. Russell, the university had also provided or allowed over $400,000 worth of other, improper payments to Miami football players. The NCAA also found that the university had failed to wholly implement its drug testing program, and permitted three football student-athletes to compete without being subject to the required disciplinary measures specified in the policy. Finally, the NCAA concluded, the university had lost institutional control over the football program.
Miami was stripped of 31 scholarships over that stuff, that's why they fell off after Erickson left, fewer scholarships. Note virtually all of that stuff took place on Erickson's watch. Maggard was the AD at the time and he defends Erickson saying a lot of it was happening before he got there and he just inherited it.

I don't know if Erickson was involved or not but the quote from Crow is misleading since the NCAA quite clearly said they failed to follow their own rules on drug tests.

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
As a University of Arizona fan - I have to say I am not that worried. I could see Erickson be a success but quit acting like you hired Charlie Weis. My feeling is he is worth one more win a season on average than Dirk Koetter. He has never been a stellar recruiter and much of his best players were JUCO transfers (Ocho-Cinco and Houshamanzilly come to mind) and i already read a quote that said Love has explained to him they won't be going to the JUCO route as often as he has in the past.

I wouldn't be worried about Erickson running afoul Devils fans. How much worse does it get than murder trials, shootings and coked out QB's???I would be more worried about if he is past his prime. I mean since when does a 4-8 record at Idaho and a miserable stint in the NFL (which led to having the Number one pick in the draft two years ago) in your past two jobs equate to optimism??? You would have been better off with Mike Price all the way around.

I'm not sure 18 year olds are going to be impressed by rings won at a program that had that success when they were 2 years old. I will take a wait and see approach but for the most part (I am looking at you BAS) you Devil fans are sooo myopic you would be defending the hire of Rich Kotite because of his NFL ties and keen intellect.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
xcErickson's a better hire than Price, who is basically Erickson without the wins. He's better than McGinnis as well who would have been a disaster.

I do agree though how I find it amusing that last week the same people that were railing against hiring Erickson and other comparable candidates are the same ones that are now lauding it as the next step towards national prominence. It was the same thing during the basketball hire when certain posters claimed Dixon, then Kruger, then Majerus, and then Sendek were going to own Lute and Arizona.

Last edited:

DevilPrideBAS

Registered
Reaction score
Actually it confirmed exactly what I said, thanks for the help.

Actually it explains that Erickson followed the procedure at Miami, as he will follow the procedure at ASU. But i do have to thank you all for the good laughs. I will let the football do the talking. Go Devils

DevilPrideBAS

Registered
Reaction score
As a University of Arizona fan - I have to say I am not that worried. I could see Erickson be a success but quit acting like you hired Charlie Weis. My feeling is he is worth one more win a season on average than Dirk Koetter. He has never been a stellar recruiter and much of his best players were JUCO transfers (Ocho-Cinco and Houshamanzilly come to mind) and i already read a quote that said Love has explained to him they won't be going to the JUCO route as often as he has in the past.

I wouldn't be worried about Erickson running afoul Devils fans. How much worse does it get than murder trials, shootings and coked out QB's???I would be more worried about if he is past his prime. I mean since when does a 4-8 record at Idaho and a miserable stint in the NFL (which led to having the Number one pick in the draft two years ago) in your past two jobs equate to optimism??? You would have been better off with Mike Price all the way around.

I'm not sure 18 year olds are going to be impressed by rings won at a program that had that success when they were 2 years old. I will take a wait and see approach but for the most part (I am looking at you BAS) you Devil fans are sooo myopic you would be defending the hire of Rich Kotite because of his NFL ties and keen intellect.

I do have to ask you, why are you all so worried about this hire, if we are so bad off you all should be greatful. The mere fact that you all make it a point to downgrade this hire and express your extreme objection to it, seems to mean that you all are worried about how good we are going to be. I would be too. Go devils.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Erickson is much better than Stoopids....Cat fans, so saying you "are not so worried" is comical.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys - show some respect. It's Coach Stoops. Next poster that calls EITHER coach names other than their given ones will get a week ban.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Actually it explains that Erickson followed the procedure at Miami, as he will follow the procedure at ASU. But i do have to thank you all for the good laughs. I will let the football do the talking. Go Devils
It's amusing how you seem to be the only person (including ASU fans) in this thread that believes that Erickson did nothing wrong in his previous collegiate stints. Most celebrate the hire because they simply do not care what happens off the field while others are in caution mode regarding the hire. There seems to be a universal agreement regardless of affiliation that the guy is outstanding on Saturdays and in the second season. But if being on your own island as the only person in the entire country who thinks Dennis Erickson is squeaky clean then feel free to have fun with that while the rest of us laugh at such a falsehood.

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Erickson is much better than Stoopids....Cat fans, so saying you "are not so worried" is comical.

Stoops is a first time head coach - defensive whiz - going to put a player he recruited in the Top -10 of the draft (Cason) - top notch recruiter.

The only reason we have not been able to put up wins more consistently is our china glass QB - who for the record i have lost all confidence in his ability to stay up right. If not we would be on a three game win streak against Tempes team mediocre. Maybe thats conjecture but i firmly believe it.

My biggest concern is Stoops having a big year next year and going somewhere better. Notice how they actually dropped his name as a potential candidate for UM - while Koetter is getting looks their too, except as their OC.

But that potential success all depends on Tuitama or whomever else is playing QB.

ANd for the record - I am weighing in not because I am worried in the least. THATS comical. I feel it is my civic duty to comment on whomever the Devils hired. :)

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
I hold the same opinion about the hire as I did when his name was initially mentioned as a candidate.

On one hand, his credentials (two National Championships and a total rebuild job at a once dormant Oregon State program) made him far and away the best candidate of a poor list. His really was the only name that stuck out (besides Mariucci, whose holding out for another shot in the NFL, thus the reason he's not the new coach at Michigan State) on that list of finalists as being somewhat stomachable.

With him though, as I've said before, you know what your getting yourself in to. He's the Jennifer Lopez of college football coaches-- impressive to show off to your friends, and might make your on camera (or field) image look better for the time being, but in the end they both come with baggage.

As mentioned by others, you can't ignore the crappy state Miami was in when he bolted for the NFL. You also can't ignore his past history of failed loyalty. Bolting Idaho after just one season, although not shocking by the least, further solidifies this. He left a sinking Miami program when they were at their lowest for the NFL, he left Oregon State for the NFL, and as I said many times before, if another NFL (or higher profile opening in the college game) opens up and wants Erickson, who's to say he won't jump ship again?

Also, the anti-Stoops stuff, and every thread turning in to an arguement over which program is more inept gets kinda funny, and not in a good way.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Guys - show some respect. It's Coach Stoops. Next poster that calls EITHER coach names other than their given ones will get a week ban.

Show some respect? Ban for a week? For calling a coach that doesn't post here nor is affiliated with ASFN by a commonly used nickname? Talk about a power trip.

No one is attacking a poster, it's a coach!!!!! Get real.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Show some respect? Ban for a week? For calling a coach that doesn't post here nor is affiliated with ASFN by a commonly used nickname? Talk about a power trip.

Please be quiet....you make it embarrassing to be an ASU fan sometimes. I don't care about making fun of people, but calling Stoops "Stoopid" is just uncreative and boring. No need to turn the rivalry into a bunch of 3 year olds throwing poop at each other.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Please be quiet....you make it embarrassing to be an ASU fan sometimes. I don't care about making fun of people, but calling Stoops "Stoopid" is just uncreative and boring. No need to turn the rivalry into a bunch of 3 year olds throwing poop at each other.

It was a nickname that Wildcats fans have actually created....a few I knew used it often before this season. Thanks for playing though, "Hoover".

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No - you need to get real. I am tired of this forum devolving into a bunch of guys acting like three-year olds. We have a smack forum - if you want to call coaches names there, go for it. BUT there will be a level of decorum on in this forum. If you don't like it, you are free to not post.

I try to let most things go around here, but we need to act like adults. I made a SIMPLE rule, but you seem inable to understand the basic premise.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Didn't know you were around...thought you were too busy talking about fake girls you are "going after", and calling your kid a nerd and wanting to change him?

Not to get involved in this spat, but bringing the guy's kid in to an arguement is low as hell.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not to get involved in this spat, but bringing the guy's kid in to an arguement is low as hell.

It was about him and the ridiculous threads he starts.....and who tries to change their little kid when they aren't doing anything wrong?? Seriously.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not much downside? Didn't Erickson nearly run an elite Miami program into the ground at a previous stop? It's a high-risk, high-reward hire by ASU. One they probably needed after playing it safe since hiring Frieder.

Jimmy Johnson did most of the cheating. Erickson just continued the art form.

As far as downside is concerned, isn't ASU near rock bottom now? The Wade affair, poor graduation rates, non-qualifying recruits, athletic department money woes and wasn't there a case of a player marrying an older woman in the football office?

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson did most of the cheating. Erickson just continued the art form.

As far as downside is concerned, isn't ASU near rock bottom now? The Wade affair, poor graduation rates, non-qualifying recruits, athletic department money woes and wasn't there a case of a player marrying an older woman in the football office?

All that and the cats were sleeping with the dogs.....It just could not get any worse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard