It's Official...Erickson is the new Coach of ASU

HooverDam

Reaction score
Sounds like this is true. I have mixed feelings, I think he'll make ASU a winner, but at what cost? I hope he can keep himself, and players, under control.

All I know is that once the Cardinals fire Denny Green, they need to find a coach w/ a DUI in his past, so we can make it an Arizona football coach theme of sorts.

My prediction: ASU will be in a BCS game Rudy Carpenters senior year.

DevilPrideBAS

Registered
Reaction score
This is a great hire for the new era of Sun Devil football. He is a proven winner and flashing those championship rings at recruits certainly couldnt hurt. Go Devils.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not excited. Count me as a skeptic as to whether this is a good hire. I hope it all works out great.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I'm happy with this. The guy has been very successful in college and it helps that he has some pro experience too. I think I can safely say that this is a step up from Koetter at least.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Eh...I feel so so about this. Going to take a wait and see approach.

Ditto. I mean sans Kooker, who wasn't successful at Miami? I would have prefered someone a bit younger, but if he builds a tough team all may work out fine.

Should be fun to watch him recruit against the rest of the pac-10.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
actually Coker was a pretty similar to Erickson - dennis kept the shelves a little better stocked, but a lot of the criticism of Larry could be said about Dennis as well (inherited someone elses program, rode their momentum, but never made their own mark, undisciplined teams, etc)

I think dennis will do well at ASU though - i think he did a pretty impressive job at Oregon State and his pac 10 experience, nfl ties and miami experience can play in recruiting

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
I've said this before and I'll reiterate my thoughts now knowing that Erickson is "the man".

Of this less than inspiring list, Erickson was clearly the most established name. You can't argue with the success he had at Miami and at Oregon State, and in terms of credentials, noone available can top what he's done. Frankly, I'm more impressed with the turnaround he had as coach of Oregon State, taking a team that had been riding a 28 year Bowl drought and putting them in a Bowl Game in his first year, a BCS bowl in his second. In four years at OSU, a team that had been the laughing stock of college football for almost 3 decades went to three Bowls. That in itself is a valued accomplishment, and we all have seen that he's capable of taking a team to a championship game. We also know he's capable of compiling a pretty decent coaching staff, and I have no questions he'll do the same here.

On the flipside of that, he left Miami in a mess, and bolted Oregon State at the first chance he had to move on for greener pastures. He also left Idaho hanging after just one year, and realistically who's to say he's not going to do the same thing here? Suppose he turns ASU in to a BCS team next year? Who's to say if another NFL opening pops up? Who's to say in two years, he's not going to leave ASU hanging high and dry too.

Before anyone points out his record in the NFL, realistically on paper it wasn't THAT bad, but if you look at the background of the teams he inherited, he was against the 8 ball to begin with. He took over a Seahawk team that had won 14 games in 3 years, and a team that had it's talent cupboards all but stripped bare by Tom Flores. As for San Francisco, he inherited a team that was in Salary Cap Hell, and frankly in my opinion, was set up to fail. I even remember when he left Oregon State for San Francisco, I vividly recall asking myself WHY he'd want to leave Corvallis for that mess of a job, when he had nowhere else to go but down.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He can coach. Keep the liquor cabinet locked and get him a chauffer.

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
He's a good hire but definitely not a great hire. I do, however, think ASU will be a better team with him at the helm. He's got the obvious resume with a proven track record in college. It'll be interesting to say the least... But at least ASU has a real coach now after the Koetter debacle. We'll see how it turns out. I have a feeling campus police will be busy in the coming years.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
I think he did a pretty impressive job at Oregon State and his PAC-10 experience, NFL ties and Miami experience can play in recruiting.
He did a good job at OSU, but his best year, when he won the Fiesta Bowl, he did it with Mike Riley's recruits. He was never able to replicate that success with the Beavers.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
He did a good job at OSU, but his best year, when he won the Fiesta Bowl, he did it with Mike Riley's recruits. He was never able to replicate that success with the Beavers.

If he take Dirk's recruits and go 11-1 I'll be ecstatic.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he take Dirk's recruits and go 11-1 I'll be ecstatic.

ASU's 2007 schedule is very favorable. They very well could be 7-0 when they meet Cal.

2007 ASU FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
09/01-San Jose State
09/08-Colorado
09/15-San Diego State
09/22-Oregon State
09/29-at Stanford
10/6-at Washington State
10/13-Washington
10/20-Open Date
10/27-California
11/3-at Oregon
11/10-at UCLA
11/17-USC
11/24-Arizona

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
ASU's 2007 schedule is very favorable. They very well could be 7-0 when they meet Cal.

2007 ASU FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
09/01-San Jose State
09/08-Colorado
09/15-San Diego State
09/22-Oregon State
09/29-at Stanford
10/6-at Washington State
10/13-Washington
10/20-Open Date
10/27-California
11/3-at Oregon
11/10-at UCLA
11/17-USC
11/24-Arizona
8 home games? Give me a break. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
R

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I've said this before and I'll reiterate my thoughts now knowing that Erickson is "the man".

Of this less than inspiring list, Erickson was clearly the most established name. You can't argue with the success he had at Miami and at Oregon State, and in terms of credentials, noone available can top what he's done. Frankly, I'm more impressed with the turnaround he had as coach of Oregon State, taking a team that had been riding a 28 year Bowl drought and putting them in a Bowl Game in his first year, a BCS bowl in his second. In four years at OSU, a team that had been the laughing stock of college football for almost 3 decades went to three Bowls. That in itself is a valued accomplishment, and we all have seen that he's capable of taking a team to a championship game. We also know he's capable of compiling a pretty decent coaching staff, and I have no questions he'll do the same here.

On the flipside of that, he left Miami in a mess, and bolted Oregon State at the first chance he had to move on for greener pastures. He also left Idaho hanging after just one year, and realistically who's to say he's not going to do the same thing here? Suppose he turns ASU in to a BCS team next year? Who's to say if another NFL opening pops up? Who's to say in two years, he's not going to leave ASU hanging high and dry too.

Before anyone points out his record in the NFL, realistically on paper it wasn't THAT bad, but if you look at the background of the teams he inherited, he was against the 8 ball to begin with. He took over a Seahawk team that had won 14 games in 3 years, and a team that had it's talent cupboards all but stripped bare by Tom Flores. As for San Francisco, he inherited a team that was in Salary Cap Hell, and frankly in my opinion, was set up to fail. I even remember when he left Oregon State for San Francisco, I vividly recall asking myself WHY he'd want to leave Corvallis for that mess of a job, when he had nowhere else to go but down.

You're a little off...He didn't bolt Miami for OSU due to problems...He left Miami for a chance to coach the Seahawks...was let go after 2 or 3 years and then went to OSU.

I think he's going to be the best coach ASU has had since Kush.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
You're a little off...He didn't bolt Miami for OSU due to problems...He left Miami for a chance to coach the Seahawks...was let go after 2 or 3 years and then went to OSU.

I think he's going to be the best coach ASU has had since Kush.

Greener pastures- i/e the NFL. I may have worded that confusingly, but what I MEANT to say is he left Miami in a sanction riddled mess for the NFL, then after coming back to the college game at OSU, he jumped at the first opportunity he got to return to the NFL.

And I do agree that Erickson is going to be very successful, and until the team starts getting in serious issues off the field, I'm going to look at this as a smart hire.

It's not often you get the chance to hire a guy who won two National Championships and rebuilt a sad sack program from the laughing stock to respectability.

Also, those who question his NFL record need to look outside the box, and realize he inherited two teams that were in disasterous states and led them to respectability (in San Francisco's case, one year of it) and actually may have overachieved with the teams. In actuality, I think with San Francisco, he was set up to fail, and in Seattle, he just wasn't ready for what he got himself in to. I also think there's a stratosphere of coaches who are better suited for the college game, and Erickson fits this mold.

My issue is, for a team lacking discipline off the field, Erickson's not exactly the kind of coach to be a hard ass disciplinarian and actually had players on his teams with off-field issues as well. I realize these guys are grown adults and Erickson can't babysit them 24-7, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. What I'm NOT willing to yet is his loyalty. Again, the question pops up-- suppose another NFL opportunity opens for him.. Does he bail on ASU and take it?

Reaction score
I asked this in another thread but now that its final, I really want to know what people think this will do for recruting this year? I.E kids who have signed, kids that are thinking of signing, JuCo's...and what about Rudy? I heard grumblings that he wanted to transfer if they fired Kotter.

Nasser22

Reaction score
Well a couple recruits rescinded their commitments but I think Erickson can get a few good players in the short time left to get them. The recruiting class won't be that great but last years was pretty good and I expect good recruiting classes in the coming years from Erickson. I don't think Carpenter will leave. If he does he's a little bitch after also threatening to leave if he didn't get the starting job this year.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well a couple recruits rescinded their commitments but I think Erickson can get a few good players in the short time left to get them. The recruiting class won't be that great but last years was pretty good and I expect good recruiting classes in the coming years from Erickson. I don't think Carpenter will leave. If he does he's a little bitch after also threatening to leave if he didn't get the starting job this year.

Actually, ASU had an average recruiting class last year. They finished in the middle of the Pac-10. If Erickson brings in a lot of JC players(he likes JC players) that will hurt ASU in a few years.

Nasser22

Reaction score
Well compared to what they usually get last year was a success...of course two of the better recruits are gone now because one got shot and one wasn't smart enough so yeah it was average but there seems to be some good players in that bunch.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
What's an "average" recruiting class?

I tend to wait to grade recruiting classes, until the players are on campus and are in the program for a few years...and then I look at the W/L records...

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
I don't see how bringing in JC players will hurt ASU in a few years, if DE tends to bring in JC players every year?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard