It's Official...Erickson is the new Coach of ASU

HooverDam

Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/blogs/inde...dennis_erickson&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#comments

^Everyone check out Dan Bickleys recent blog entry. That guy is such a tool. The article is the general Bickley stuff, "I hate being the Valley, so I'm going to crap on everything here" but then he ends it with a joke about murder! Pure class.

I commented on the blog,and also wrote an email to the sports editor, urging them to take disciplinary actions w/ Bickley, I urge you to do the same.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big Erickson fan, he just runs programs the "easy" way, takes a bunch of borderline students with behavioral issues, lets them run amock, and then leaves for a better job. Yes he won at Miami and won at Oregon State but he left a lot of black eyes on those programs too.

When you hear someone making a comment about "typical Miami" when you see a fight or something remember, it was Erickson's Miami that set the bar for that sort of stuff, they spent years trying to shed that reputation before the brawl this year brought it right back.

I'm just surprised at how lackluster the list of names was, I gotta admit of the guys they were looking at, it's hard NOT to pick Erickson.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not a big Erickson fan, he just runs programs the "easy" way, takes a bunch of borderline students with behavioral issues, lets them run amock, and then leaves for a better job. Yes he won at Miami and won at Oregon State but he left a lot of black eyes on those programs too.

When you hear someone making a comment about "typical Miami" when you see a fight or something remember, it was Erickson's Miami that set the bar for that sort of stuff, they spent years trying to shed that reputation before the brawl this year brought it right back.

I'm just surprised at how lackluster the list of names was, I gotta admit of the guys they were looking at, it's hard NOT to pick Erickson.

I kind of like the risk with this. I only see it working one of two ways:

1) He fails, we have punk student athletes, everybody hates us.....and we are middle of the pack Pac10 team just like we've been under cutter. At that point we'll be in the crapper....it'll take 4-5 years to dig back out.

2) He comes in here, puts together an 8 win, 9 win and 10 win season. We still have punk student athletes.....but we are winning. And PHX loves a winner. A buzz on Saturday Night helps things greatly on campus. Recruits love a nice college town....if we start winning it'll help us not just be some "commuter college" that they like to call us down south.

I hope he succeeds, and leaves. That would leave more luster on the program...and next time Riley and Tedford won't decline to be interviewed.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
From TSN.Com...

Erickson will put Arizona State on the right path
December 11, 2006

Dennis Erickson can awaken a sleeping giant. No, he's not David Blaine, he's the new head coach at Arizona State. The rest of the Pac-10 is a tad worried, believe me.

Why would they be worried about a program that has been a perennial underachiever over the last few years? Why worry about a team that hasn't been a true threat to USC and Cal as a contender in the Pac-10?

Think about it. Arizona State has everything a potential 18-year-old recruit would want. The weather is awesome, the stadium is nice, the campus is beautiful.

But those things don't automatically add up to a winning program. Dirk Koetter proved that with a pedestrian 40-33 record in his tenure. What Arizona State needed was a dynamic coach with a big name and an aggressive manner. What they needed was Dennis Erickson.

Erickson will get results immediately at ASU. He'll get a higher caliber of recruit. He'll likely pull in more junior college players -- like he did at Oregon State -- so that the Sun Devils will compete immediately. He has two national title rings to flash, he has been an NFL head coach twice and he has won in the Pac-10. But will Arizona State be better off because of it?

Erickson's last big college job was at Oregon State, where he led the Beavers to an 11-1 record in 2000 and a win over Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl. But Erickson left the Beavers for a head coaching gig in the NFL, just as he did earlier when he left the Miami Hurricanes. Was the Oregon State program in better shape following Erickson's time there? Yes, but the job wasn't done.

Can fans of Arizona State expect the same? Will the fans take four or five seasons with perhaps one special year only to watch Erickson leave for a bigger, better job? They'll have no choice.

I may be crazy, but I think ASU can win a Pac-10 title and gain a Bowl Championship Series berth under Erickson.

But it will likely be the next coach, the coach who follows Erickson, who will be charged with keeping ASU near the top. Erickson will get him started.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Erickson is a High Risk/High Reward coach. I don't want to see ASU have the problems or rep like the Miami players.

You also have to be concerned with his frequent coaching changes. But, maybe LL knows this and just wants DE to make something happen now. Get them competing for the PAC10, holiday bowl, maybe rose?

I am a season ticket holder and have been a Devil fan since 1977. I like DE better thank Koetter. I think he will have the impact but I am not convinced he will hang around long. But, if it gets us the PAC 10, Rose, Holiday, BCS, top 10-15 rank then it will be worth it.

Lisa will have to make sure her next pick can maintain the momentum.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with reliance on Jucos is so often those kids are at Jucos for a reason, usually either academics, behavior, or both.

I agree he probably will increase the wins at ASU, I just hope that he learned something from his last college experiences and exerts a little more control
with the kids.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
I agree he probably will increase the wins at ASU, I just hope that he learned something from his last college experiences and exerts a little more control
with the kids.
Doubt he learned anything at DUI. Remember John L Smith came from there too.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Very good hire. Not much downside.
Not much downside? Didn't Erickson nearly run an elite Miami program into the ground at a previous stop? It's a high-risk, high-reward hire by ASU. One they probably needed after playing it safe since hiring Frieder.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I don't know if Erickson ran Miami into the ground, nearly or otherwise. From what Miami itself has said, the grant problems they had weren't Ericksons fault, and he didn't know it was going on (now, obviously he should've been more in tune w/ what was happening). Furthermore, that was OVER A DECADE ago. He had no problems at Oregon St, and I think thats the better measuring stick.

Lisa Love said in her presser today how she had checked w/ all the admins about his previous stops, and they said he always was very good about the rules, discipline, etc.

I guess we'll see, I think its a great hire, but the perception is becoming reality.

DevilPrideBAS

Registered
Reaction score
She also said that she read all the transcripts from the hearings, and talked to people involved with the investigation, and concluded that he wasnt involved with it. Its amazing how some people are trying to claim that a few isolated incidents years back translates into that him being a bad guy and that he ruins programs. Penalties are penalties...to say hard-nosed players, who may get a personal foul penalty in a game, means he runs a bad program, is absolutely ridiculous. Come on people its football! He is a two-time national champ and a proven winner. The only reason why people are bringing this stuff up is because this hire brings instant credibility to the program and everyone else in the pac-10 has suddenly gotten worried about how good sun devil football will be. Go Devils

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Ho, hum, another Christmas party, another head coach heading out the door.

That was how players responded to what Idaho coach Dennis Erickson said Sunday at a team meeting before he boarded a private jet to Phoenix for the official announcement that he would become head coach at Arizona State -- until he left the room.

"We've all been through it before," junior running back Jayson Bird told The Spokesman-Review of Spokane, Wash., "so we just stood there and it was kind of dull when he [Erickson] talked.

"He said, 'it's all about you guys, not who is coaching you.' Damn right, I guess. Nobody really got fired up until after he left."

After Erickson left the room, senior-to-be linebacker David Vobora "got up and said, 'it is about us, not them,' so it's kind of the theme," Bird said.

"It doesn't really matter who the coaches are -- well, it does -- but we're the reason they have jobs," he added. "If they're going to do that and play the politics game, it's going to be hard for us to trust our next coach because we've been [messed with] a couple of times, so it's hard to deal with."

"There was some tension in the air," said quarterback Brian Nooy, one of the few players who was brought to Moscow by Erickson after the coach arrived following the signing deadline last year. "There was a lot of disappointment throughout the team because everybody was excited about what we have next year and what we could do. It's one of those deals where we have to put it behind us and look forward."

Athletic director Rob Spears said the comments to him had generally been "very angry [about Erickson leaving] and very supportive of the program. I don't know if you could say it will galvanize us, but I do think we have a chance to turn a negative into a positive."

Spears would not give a timetable for the Vandals' third search for a football coach in four years.

"I'm going to find somebody that not only understands Idaho but appreciates the university and what a fine institution we have," he said. "It's going to be done when it's done."

Whoever takes the job will face some skeptical players.

"It was kind of weird with Erickson talking and telling us he thinks he can win a national championship at Arizona State. It makes us realize the doubt he had in us," Bird said. "I guess he has to do what he has to do. We just didn't expect it, but it's certainly something we can get over.

"Hopefully they can get a guy in here that genuinely cares about us and wants to build a program. The hardest thing is to find a guy that isn't going to use us and not use the school as a stepping stone."

From ESPN.

I don't mean to discredit the Idaho program as a whole, but let's call a spade a spade here.. If they're looking for their Bear Bryant, they better start ponying up the cash and hoping that it alone keeps them in town.

Realistically, Idaho is what it is.. A stepping stone program for someone to either revitalize their career or to get their career started. This really CAN'T be surprising to them that Erickson bolted. Did Spears think Erickson was going to come and spend the rest of his coaching career, when he's still young? I didn't think he'd jump after just one season, but they gotta expect someone with his credentials was going to be looked at by most of the major programs anyhow.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
From ESPN.

I don't mean to discredit the Idaho program as a whole, but let's call a spade a spade here.. If they're looking for their Bear Bryant, they better start ponying up the cash and hoping that it alone keeps them in town.

Realistically, Idaho is what it is.. A stepping stone program for someone to either revitalize their career or to get their career started. This really CAN'T be surprising to them that Erickson bolted. Did Spears think Erickson was going to come and spend the rest of his coaching career, when he's still young? I didn't think he'd jump after just one season, but they gotta expect someone with his credentials was going to be looked at by most of the major programs anyhow.

Don't listen to Idaho players. They are dillusional about their team

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
This reporter should ask these idiotic players one question.... If ASU offered you a scholarship and you'd be starting next fall, would you transfer from Idaho to ASU? I would bet a high dollar that 99% of those players would say "yes."

Fact is, Erickson has a 0% chance of ever competeing for a NC at Idaho. He does at ASU and he told his former players that. For them to not understand that shows how ******** they are. Boise St just went undefeated and didn't sniff the NC game so what are these kids thinking about?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
She also said that she read all the transcripts from the hearings, and talked to people involved with the investigation, and concluded that he wasnt involved with it. Its amazing how some people are trying to claim that a few isolated incidents years back translates into that him being a bad guy and that he ruins programs. Penalties are penalties...to say hard-nosed players, who may get a personal foul penalty in a game, means he runs a bad program, is absolutely ridiculous. Come on people its football! He is a two-time national champ and a proven winner. The only reason why people are bringing this stuff up is because this hire brings instant credibility to the program and everyone else in the pac-10 has suddenly gotten worried about how good sun devil football will be. Go Devils

If you'd come out and said that you want to win at all costs and do not care what happens off the field or in the classroom, then I could at least respect and understand that opinion. But pretending that Erickson does not have any baggage and there was nothing wrong with his or his player's behavior at Miami and Oregon State and there is no risk whatsoever associated with his hire simply comes off as burying your head in the sand. The reward is high (see two National Championships and Fiesta Bowl in Corvallis) but so is the risk whenever you hire a coach with a "lack of institutional control" and switching jobs every two years on his resume.

I'd expect Lisa Love to keep a close eye on who Erickson recruits and how he runs his program (probably a condition of his hiring) which is a good thing because as an x's and o's guy he's one of the best. It's the other things that have deservedly got him a bad reputation.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not much downside? Didn't Erickson nearly run an elite Miami program into the ground at a previous stop? It's a high-risk, high-reward hire by ASU. One they probably needed after playing it safe since hiring Frieder.

Spot on. Erickson's a mercenary.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'd expect Lisa Love to keep a close eye on who Erickson recruits and how he runs his program (probably a condition of his hiring) which is a good thing because as an x's and o's guy he's one of the best. It's the other things that have deservedly got him a bad reputation.
You mean like hiding failed drug tests in his drawer??

That's a good thing...if you aren't cheating, you aren't trying. :thumbup:

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
This reporter should ask these idiotic players one question.... If ASU offered you a scholarship and you'd be starting next fall, would you transfer from Idaho to ASU? I would bet a high dollar that 99% of those players would say "yes."

Fact is, Erickson has a 0% chance of ever competeing for a NC at Idaho. He does at ASU and he told his former players that. For them to not understand that shows how ******** they are. Boise St just went undefeated and didn't sniff the NC game so what are these kids thinking about?

That's vandal logic for you. They play in a giant tin can so their voices sound bigger than they really are.

You must be registered for see images attach

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well wouldn't you as an ASU fan have some concern about Erickson? The AD at Idaho gave Erickson a 5 year deal and said he asked erickson repeatedly if he intended to stay or not, and Erickson assured him repeatedly he had no interest in job hopping. 10 months later, he bolts for ASU. The AD says he's extremely disappointed, feels betrayed, and would have "never gone down that road" if Erickson had been honest with him upfront and admitted he had no intention of staying at Idaho for 5 years. They've got a bunch of disgruntled recruits and parents who said Erickson stood in their home and swore he was going to coach their son for 4-5 years at Idaho.

Sure he wants to compete for an NC but it's really about ego for him, he wants to show that the failure in SF wasn't his fault and he knows he'll get a lot more exposure at ASU than he did at Idaho.

I know this, if I were a hotshot recruit looking at ASU the first question I'd ask is am I picking ASU because of the school, or the coach, because the odds are the coach won't be there when I graduate.

But yes he can coach and he will win games, the question is how much leeway will they give him, and how long will he stay if he succeeds and bigger jobs come knocking?

DevilPrideBAS

Registered
Reaction score
If you'd come out and said that you want to win at all costs and do not care what happens off the field or in the classroom, then I could at least respect and understand that opinion. But pretending that Erickson does not have any baggage and there was nothing wrong with his or his player's behavior at Miami and Oregon State and there is no risk whatsoever associated with his hire simply comes off as burying your head in the sand. The reward is high (see two National Championships and Fiesta Bowl in Corvallis) but so is the risk whenever you hire a coach with a "lack of institutional control" and switching jobs every two years on his resume.

Here's a quote from President Crow to help you get over it:

"Dennis knows the rules here," Crow said. "The policy at the time at Miami was: If you test positive, then you go to due process, then your fate is determined.

"The policy at ASU is: If you test positive, you're out. Then you have due process and you might earn your way back in.

"So, Dennis knows the rules at ASU. He doesn't set the rules. We set them. He played by the rules at Miami. That's what they were."

And once again, Lisa Love stated she researched into the situation by reading the transcripts from the hearings and discussing the situation with the officials involved in the process and she was assured that he really did not know what was going on. I know its hard for you to understand that....also I think you wildcat fans very easily forget that your boy Mike Stoopid has a DUI on his record. If stuff like that makes Dennis a man of such bad character, you must admit that Stoopid is a man of bad character. The facts are the facts. Go Devils

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a quote from President Crow to help you get over it:

"Dennis knows the rules here," Crow said. "The policy at the time at Miami was: If you test positive, then you go to due process, then your fate is determined.

"The policy at ASU is: If you test positive, you're out. Then you have due process and you might earn your way back in.

"So, Dennis knows the rules at ASU. He doesn't set the rules. We set them. He played by the rules at Miami. That's what they were."

And once again, Lisa Love stated she researched into the situation by reading the transcripts from the hearings and discussing the situation with the officials involved in the process and she was assured that he really did not know what was going on. I know its hard for you to understand that....also I think you wildcat fans very easily forget that your boy Mike Stoopid has a DUI on his record. If stuff like that makes Dennis a man of such bad character, you must admit that Stoopid is a man of bad character. The facts are the facts. Go Devils

:thumbup:

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Baaaa.....baaaaa

Why does every Sun Devil thread turn into this??

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
For me as an ASU fan but never attended the school.... I say it's a good hire.

The thing that gets me is that the people who are against the hire are so quick to bring up things that happened so long ago and really kinda seem irrelavent at this point. Even background checks don't go that far back. Also the people that are for the hire are the same way. They are quick to tout NC's, but hey they were also eons ago as well.

I would tend to think that he has learned from mistakes so far in the past. I am more concerned with what he has done the last few years and focus on that. If he can win at Oregon St, then there is no reason he can't win here.

As far as academics are concerned, I just think it puts more onus on the AD and other folks to watch that kind of stuff. Isn't that their job in the first place?

Who cares if he leaves in 1 or two years? The only way that really happens is if he stinks it up and they fire him, or he leads ASU to the promised land, which will only make the job more attractive to the next coach.