Its gotta start sometime so here goes-----

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In Pendergast's last season the Cardinals gave up 26.6 PPG. When Whiz fired Pendy and promoted Davis the next season, the defense gave up 20.3 PPG. So the defense gave up almost a touchdown LESS per game after Pendy was fired.

Do some research before you post this stuff.

Remove Thanksgiving Day and the New England game and it looks a lot different. Pendy had the D ranked pretty high in individual categories as well throughout his time here. IMO bashing Pendy is pretty rediculous given the tools he had he did a good job.

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
I agree that M Bidwill and Green are the main reason for our recent success and modern way of doing business but I also blame Bidwill for the QB situation this year. They made Wiz keep Leinart for so long and wouldn't sign Bulger after shelling out money to Anderson.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree that M Bidwill and Green are the main reason for our recent success and modern way of doing business but I also blame Bidwill for the QB situation this year. They made Wiz keep Leinart for so long and wouldn't sign Bulger after shelling out money to Anderson.

IF they made him keep Leinart initially, good for them. It's called checks and balances. If they let him cut Leinart loose, then they should have stepped in to save the Titanic. Cutting Leinart and all of the rediculousness surrounding the decision was the most dubious move ever by this franchise and that is saying a lot.

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
McGinnis brought us Anquan and Wilson. Just sayin'.

Point well taken, however the intent was to show that Whiz did not bring all the talent here. He had a really good bit of that here waiting for him. Thanks for your correction.

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score

Its true, they did make Whiz keep Leinart, and they intended for him to be our #1 QB. It was only after Whiz received his contract extension that he named DA, (who the FO brought in to back-up Leinart), to be his new starter. This left the FO with not much other to do but to cut Leinart's 7 mil+ salary. They couldn't keep that kind of money on the bench being wasted. They had fully intended for Leinart to finally get his opportunity to either show that he would be worth keeping, or need to be jettisoned, in which case they would need to put a new plan together for a franchise QB. Whiz undid the whole plan.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Remove Thanksgiving Day and the New England game and it looks a lot different. Pendy had the D ranked pretty high in individual categories as well throughout his time here. IMO bashing Pendy is pretty rediculous given the tools he had he did a good job.

Only in 2004. His last 4 years the D ranked 26,29,27,28th in points allowed.

Just like the Cards D has for most of the last 15 years.

If I remember correctly it was those points allowed totals that led to CP being fired. Of course he probably saw the handwriting on the wall with the defensive departures and was glad to be getting out of town.

32nd this season in points allowed: :bang:

By the way I do agree that contrary to what many people think those games you mentioned need to be considered just like the week 17 game last year vs Green Bay. The Cards took the day off.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I don't get the notion that somehow Marc Bulger would have been a savior. The guy had some success but was awful when presssured, and we all know he would have been pressured in AZ. Bradford is a major upgrade over him. Bad management on many levels lead to this debacle.

If Denny would have hired Haley, the results would have been the same if not better. No one can question that Green's moves in FA and the draft were light years better than Whisenhunt's or anyones since the 1998 team. Hell JJ Arrington is looking like a better pick than a lot of Whiz's draft picks at this point.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Only in 2004. His last 4 years the D ranked 26,29,27,28th in points allowed.

Just like the Cards D has for most of the last 15 years.

If I remember correctly it was those points allowed totals that led to CP being fired. Of course he probably saw the handwriting on the wall with the defensive departures and was glad to be getting out of town.

32nd this season in points allowed: :bang:

By the way I do agree that contrary to what many people think those games you mentioned need to be considered just like the week 17 game last year vs Green Bay. The Cards took the day off.

There is a reason why the Bidwill's required Whiz to keep Pendy when he was hired and it had nothing to do with land ownership. Under Denny the D played well and points allowed doesn't tell the whole story. One reason Whiz had the ability to succeed early was the fact he only had to take over one side of the ball when he was hired, and even then he came into a situation with a full cupboard. If the O fumbles the ball on their own 20 and the other team scores, boom. Bad teams on offense generally give up points as well, generally. That applies this year to an extent, although it seems that other teams can move 99 yards as easy as one against us.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Under what head coach did Arrington put up his best numbers?

Didn't Pendy's defense consistently lose to the worst team in the NFL when Denny was HC?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Didn't Pendy's defense consistently lose to the worst team in the NFL when Denny was HC?

4 times in 3 years. Including blowing a 16 point 4th quarter lead against a 4and9er team that didn't beat anyone else all season.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
There is a reason why the Bidwill's required Whiz to keep Pendy when he was hired and it had nothing to do with land ownership. Under Denny the D played well and points allowed doesn't tell the whole story. One reason Whiz had the ability to succeed early was the fact he only had to take over one side of the ball when he was hired, and even then he came into a situation with a full cupboard. If the O fumbles the ball on their own 20 and the other team scores, boom. Bad teams on offense generally give up points as well, generally. That applies this year to an extent, although it seems that other teams can move 99 yards as easy as one against us.

Did you know that in 2005 the Cards had the #1 ranked passing offense in the NFL? And still ranked 26th in points allowed.

Nothing changed much with CKW as in 2008 the Cards had the #2 ranked passing offense in the NFL and ranked 28th in points allowed.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, the original post said Whiz preferred BSP instead of Warner? Where did that come from?

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Sorry dudes but the fact this is even a conversation speaks volumes about the current situation.

Just for the record, didn't Pendy's defense play in the Super Bowl? You can twist that around any way you want. Either way the team today sucks as bad as any Denny team. Something needs to be fixed and "working hard" will not fix it.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry dudes but the fact this is even a conversation speaks volumes about the current situation.

Just for the record, didn't Pendy's defense play in the Super Bowl? You can twist that around any way you want. Either way the team today sucks as bad as any Denny team. Something needs to be fixed and "working hard" will not fix it.
Then, I guess that settles it.

:)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Did you know that in 2005 the Cards had the #1 ranked passing offense in the NFL? And still ranked 26th in points allowed.

Nothing changed much with CKW as in 2008 the Cards had the #2 ranked passing offense in the NFL and ranked 28th in points allowed.

Yeah, playing from behind all the time really inflates those passing numbers.

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score

I think Billy Davis could've made the super bowl with the defense in 09 if he was playing Matt Ryan, Jake Delhomme and Donovan McNabb instead of Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers.

chickenhead

Reaction score
What you are asking for him to see at the end of this season is what he SHOULD have seen after the Super Bowl season. While I don't agree with dumping him right now, I seriously doubt that he will suddenly get it right after this season. I don't see that happening unless he is forced to make the necessary changes by his superiors. Unfortunately, right now he probably wields more power than his immediate supervisor, and without getting an assist from above, I doubt that Graves can force him to do anything.

It would have been great after the Super Bowl, but the Cardinals returned to the playoffs last year without Haley and having believed they made an adjustment by losing Pendy. Really, if we're going to treat record and the playoffs as the most compelling evidence (as most people would), then this year is the rebuttal.

However, I do think the Cardinals management is a big part of this, too. You can't discount the GM when it comes to any of the player moves. And the Bidwills, as much credit as one would like to give them for the turnaround, do not have any legitimacy to say "we know what it takes to build a winner," and certainly not to Whiz. Nor do they have the credibility on another business to say so, as they ran a family business that had little on-field success before Whiz. Their ability to meaningfully contradict his strategy likely extends not much further than the purse strings.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yeah, playing from behind all the time really inflates those passing numbers.

If you mean the Cards passing numbers were inflated:

Don't forget that in 2005 the Cards had, drumroll please, Kurt Warner, Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald. So are you saying those guys were bums and only had success in 2005 because they were playing from behind but then somehow 3 seasons later repeated the process and won the NFC Championship? (And let's not forget the phenominal numbers Warner put up passing in the second half of the 2007 season either)

If you mean the opponents passing numbers were inflated:

If you have a decent pass defense and especially a pass rush when you get a big lead you should easily shut down the opponents now one dimensional offense.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
If you mean the Cards passing numbers were inflated:

Don't forget that in 2005 the Cards had, drumroll please, Kurt Warner, Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald. So are you saying those guys were bums and only had success in 2005 because they were playing from behind but then somehow 3 seasons later repeated the process and won the NFC Championship? (And let's not forget the phenominal numbers Warner put up passing in the second half of the 2007 season either)

If you mean the opponents passing numbers were inflated:

If you have a decent pass defense and especially a pass rush when you get a big lead you should easily shut down the opponents now one dimensional offense.

what I mean is,....those concensus badasses had ZERO running game,....so they had NO CHOICE but to throw the ball....it is a testament to their greatness that they could pass when everyone knew that was the only choice they had.......had a running game not miraculously appeared in the playoffs, that group would have never made it to the Superbowl.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
what I mean is,....those concensus badasses had ZERO running game,....so they had NO CHOICE but to throw the ball....it is a testament to their greatness that they could pass when everyone knew that was the only choice they had.......had a running game not miraculously appeared in the playoffs, that group would have never made it to the Superbowl.

Well that is one of the great mysteries of Cardinal football. How in the heck could they have the #1 and #2 ranked passing offenses in the NFL and still not be able to run the football? Even worse finish dead last in rushing yards per carry in 2005 and 31st in 2008.

I wonder if that isn't an NFL record. First in passing yards and last in rushing yards per attempt in the same season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard