Its gotta start sometime so here goes-----

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Most people on this board think that Ken Whizenhunt is the savior of Cardinals Football here in the Valley. They proclaim that Whiz changed the culture of this franchise. I say bunk-----

Michael Bidwill changed the culture of this franchise. He almost singlehandedly got the new stadium built. He was tireless in his pursuit of what his father had been promised in l988 when they moved from ST. Louis to Phoenix.

After twice losing out to the City of Broad Streets and Narrow Minds, (Mesa), and once losing out to Tempe, who was unfairly waylayed by Phoenix, he finally got the City of GLendale to go where no one would go before.

He then convinced his Dad to name him head of football operations. He hired Denny Green, who brought us some talent. Adrian Wilson, Carlos Dansby, Anquan Boldin, Gerald Hayes, Darnell Dockett, Larry FItzgerald, Deuce Lutui, Edgarin James, Matt Leinart, and Kurt Warner to name a few. He was a hard nosed GM and HC wrapped up in one package, and was a mistake, because he never accepted blame or fault for any failings. He was quick to find a scapegoat every time we failed, and it was terrible.

Michael acted quickly and hired Whiz, who brought in his friend and co-hort in Pittsburgh, Russ Grimm. Remember, Pittsburgh was also looking for a HC, and had passed on both these guys to hire Mike Tomlin. Apparently they did this with good reason.

Whiz and Grimm brought some position coaches loyal to them, but they were not necessarily so good. What they did know was the Pittsburgh way of doing things, and we became known as Pittsburgh West because of our propensity for doing things like they did in Pittsburgh, where Whiz was the OC and Grimm coached the O-line.

Whiz, who had some problems with Rothlisberger in Pittsburgh, (they didn't see eye to eye), was their OC when Pittsburgh won the SuperBowl Rothlisberger's rookie year. How many of you believe that this happened because Whiz was calling the plays? I would almost be willing to bet that if one went back and looked at film, it would show that far more points were scored by Pittsburgh's offense when Rothlisberger freelanced and scored, than they did following Whizenhunt's play calling. That was Big Ben's forte, and it still is. They also had the bus to ride, which again was not necessaarily a benefit of Whiz's play calling as it was of Grimm's O-line and the Bus packing the mail.

Whiz tried to incorporate a run game here in the desert, which promptly failed. He was soon platooning Kurt Warner, who they picked from the bottom of the barrel after NY was finished with him, with Leinart at the QB position. People started revelling in Whiz's prowess for having not one, but two QB's. Wrong,-----at that point they really didn't have any QB. Whiz trusted neither of them.

We did improve from 5-11, to 8-8, and Whiz became the toast of the City and the State. He then started Warner after Leinart got hurt, and went 10-6 in '08, and won a berth to the SB. The offense was terriffic under Warner, scoring more than 29 points a game, but the defense could not hold the better teams under that figure. We lost the SB late in the game by what everybody wanted to blame on the defense for giving away a late lead again.

In '09 we went 9-7, and had a playoff berth again. Again the defense came up short. These guys did well on offense, but were pretty poor at coaching a defense. They tried to fix it by replacing Clancy Pendergast with Billy Davis, but he actuall fared poorer that Clancy had by allowing our points per game allowed to go up.

Through all of this, it was clear, that Whizenhunt's personal choice for QB was not Leinart, or even Warner, but was Brian St. Pierre, whom he brought with him from Pittsburgh. St. Pierre possessed a cannon, but could not control where it went, (sound familiar). He was an embarrassment to the team and to Whizenhunt who could no longer even attempt to play him at QB. Both Leinart and Warner were vastly superior to him.

Much of our success should be attributed to Warner. Maybe much more than we are willing to acknowlege. Maybe Warner could see the handwriting on the wall, and chose to opt. out. The defense continues to get worse, but now so does the offense, and Whiz's solution was to bring in Derek Anderson, (another strong armed qb with no control over where his cannon fired). He promptly dumped Leinart, (probably so he wouldn't be embarrassed by him, like he was with St. Pierre).

Things then began a downward spiral, culminating in the mess we now have. I have argued that our talent, man for man, except for the QB position is stronger than last year. I may be wrong about that, but if so, not by a whole lot. What has continued is Whiz's propensity to mess with the QB, and the DC's inability to provide a successful use of the personnel that he has at his disposal, just like last year, and the year before, and the year before. These guys do not know defense, at least not the way Pittsburgh played it. They never did know it, and they don't seem to know what to do about it.

During the off-season, the FO, knowing that we wouldn't score as often as with Leinart, worked long and hard to produce the talent to improve our defense. They also beefed up our O-line to make it run-first grade. None of the coaches seems to have noticed this, because we are still playing a pass first attack on offense, and God only knows what we are playing on defense, because no one there seems able to put the players on that side of the ball in the best position to succeed.

For the first time, after the latest loss to Seattle, Whiz came out flaming the defense. But defense hasn't lost this team 5 games out of 8, the offense has. Whiz has never accepted accountability for his inability to correct the problems, and I'm sorry, but "we've got to get better as a team", is not a solution. That, to me is condescending, because it is more a veiled comment about his players, than it is an acknowlegement of the coaches failure to get results. I say this, because he never seems to put the burden on a coach, but instead calls out his 'team leaders'.

Whiz's handling of the QB situation since he arrived has been atrocious. The best results we had was when he WASN'T calling plays, and Haley was. Wanna guess who will have the smile on his face come Sunday evening. I doubt that it will be Whiz. Anyway, I believe that this is overdue on this board. No, I am not hollering 'Fire Whiz' like some are here. I AM pointing out what I believe to be problems with this coaching staff though, and because we have a very weak GM, it almost appears that Whiz trumps the guy he should be answering to. That really complicates matters, because Whiz has yet to acknowlege the problem, let alone try to fix it.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Wins covered alot of stench. the 08 collapse after Whiz benched Edge, 2 QB system in 07 when both got hurt with no back up.

I don't know Whiz's resume was Smart, tough, diciplined fundemental football,
He trashes talented players to kiss frogs, they are still frogs!

loyalty- his trade mark but so far ex steelers has the lionshare of new contracts in 4 years?

playcalling- Haley had the duty n our SB season and passed 70% of the time when we lost, Edge when we actually won games.

I don' know how do you evaluate HC's besides win?

organization
personell
education
development
recruitment
staff
Public relations
philosophy
scheme
motivational
playcalling
stats

We suck at everything?

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
Whisenhunt is also responsible for global warming and world hunger.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nice write up Catfish. I appreciate the effort and agree with you. I'd like to give Whisenhunt a season or two to fix what is broken.

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
In 2008 the Cardinals went 9-7 and in 2009 they went 10-6. Not the other way around.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Catfish, not that it matters, cause it doesn't, but where did the "-------" come from?

mrbyte

Be careful what you wish for.
Reaction score
Great post, not sure everything is as clear cut as you put it, but unless Whiz turns up and gives his side of events it's a good POV.

I am not hollering 'Fire Whiz' like some are here.

thats good because he won't be going anywhere for a few years unless there is a disaster next season, that extention is looking 6 mounth premature now :mulli:

I'm hoping Whiz has enough about him to self scout at the end of the season and accept the self made situation, clean house and get us back on track.

right now I'm feeling a little like the guy who played find 'the lady' on the street corner and has just realised he has been conned out of his money.

strange how its all sunny when you win but when you lose even the sunny days now seem cloudy :D

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
Changed culture? Well thank you Mr Bidwill for your post. Look at the QB position and tell me changed culture. Look at lowballing Warner and letting him talk to a division rival and tell me changed culture. Bill Bidwill has the money so he is the one with the ultimate say. Going into a season with NO QB reeks of Bill Bidwill. Not going for the best solution at QB which would have been expensive and instead opting for low cost solutions reeks of Bill Bidwill. Cutting Leinart who was going to be due big money reeks of Bill Bidwill.

How long did it take the Bidwills to get an NFL Stadium? How close was the vote? After 20 years of Bidwill it seems a lot of people in AZ dont think much of him/you. What other NFL owner moves to a place hotter than hell without an agreement for a new stadum? He left STL because he did not like the stadium and wanted a new one. So if that is your cause for moving wouldnt you get an agreement before moving since at that time Bidwill held all the Cards? He hated his stadium but he moved from Busch to SD? Busch was a whole lot better than SD. I have watched football in both places so I know. The heat alone made Busch better. Try telling a team that its first two games every year will be on the road but expect them to win.

There is no hope the culture will change until Bill Bidwill is dead or incapacitated and then the danger exsits that he brainwashed his son so nothing will change. Catfish, I mean Mr Bidwill I am so tired of you only giving us 2 good years in 10 or 20. You get lucky with a cheap move like signing a QB that two other teams cut and then after a couple good years you let the key talent go or they leave on their own and you go cheap to replace them. As Danny Noonan's girlfriend on Caddy Shack said "Tanks for nutin"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Great post, not sure everything is as clear cut as you put it, but unless Whiz turns up and gives his side of events it's a good POV.

thats good because he won't be going anywhere for a few years unless there is a disaster next season, that extention is looking 6 mounth premature now :mulli:

I'm hoping Whiz has enough about him to self scout at the end of the season and accept the self made situation, clean house and get us back on track.

right now I'm feeling a little like the guy who played find 'the lady' on the street corner and has just realised he has been conned out of his money.

strange how its all sunny when you win but when you lose even the sunny days now seem cloudy :D

I'm not wanting to throw the baby out with the bath water either. I would really like to see him take accountability for his actions and for his failures. He has made a real mess of what was a very good situation. No, its not all his fault, but his handprints are all over it, expecially the way he has handled the QB situation ever since his arrival.

Trying to support starting Brian St. Pierre over both Leinart and Warner was an eye opener to me. The only reason that they both won out was because of St. Pierre's total ineptitude. Then after Warner unexpectedly retired, he attempted to do exactly the same thing by bringing in DA, only this time he dumped his competition so that Leinart couldn't embarras him like both Leinart and Warner did when he was touting St. Pierre.

I am not sold on this coaching group's abilities at all. They have not shown me any improvement at all since their arrival. Our offensive success appears to have been far more because of Warner and our receiving corps than because of Whizenhunt. We truly went the farthest when Haley was our OC, and clearly he and Whiz butted heads constantly. Haley was strong enough to hold his own however, just as he did with Q.

Most of all, because Whiz seems to hold more power in our higherarchy than Graves does, there seems to be no one riding herd on Whiz or his staff. I would like to see some pressure put on him to account for his actions. I doubt we will see that however.

By the way, it would appear that, (at least according to one post), Whiz is bringing St. Pierre back. If true, this sours me further on his ability to fix this situation. Attempting the same thing over and over while hoping for better results, is pure folly in my opinion.

I need to amend the previous paragraph. I assumed that WE were bringing back St. Pierre before I read the article it was based upon. I see that it was Carolina that opted for his services and not the Cardinals. Good for us, and my apologies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Changed culture? Well thank you Mr Bidwill for your post. Look at the QB position and tell me changed culture. Look at lowballing Warner and letting him talk to a divisio rival and tell me changed culture. Bill Bidwill has the money so he is the one with the ultimate say. Going into a season with NO QB reeks of Bill Bidwill. Not going for the best solution at QB which would have been expensive and instrad opting for low cost solutions reeks of Bidwill. Cutting Leinart who was going to be due big money reeks of Bidwill.

How long did it take Bidwill to get an NFL Stadium? What other NFL owner moves to a place hotter than hell without an agreement for a new stadum? He left STL becuase he did not like the stadium and wanted a new one. So if that is your cause for moving wouldnt you get an agreement before moving since at that time Bidwill held all the Cards? He hated his stadium but he moved from Busch to SD? Busch was a whole lot better than SD. I have watched football in both places so I know. The heat alone made Busch better. Try telling a team that its first two games every year will be on the road but expect them to win.

There is no hope the culture will change until Bill Bidwill is dead or incapacitated and then the danger exsits that he brainwashed his son so nothing will change. Catfish, I mean Mr Bidwill I am so tired of you only giving us 2 good years in 10 or 20. You get lucky with a cheap move like signing a QB that two other teams cut and then after a couple good years you let the key talent go or they leave on their own and you go cheap to replace them. As Danny Noonan's girlfriend on Caddy Shack said "Tanks for nutin"

Get your facts straight. Mr Bidwill did have an agreement with Carl Eller and the Phoenix 40 when he moved the team here to build the stadium they had promised. They failed to produce the stadium, just as they failed to fund the freeway system in a timely manner, and were eventually subplanted as power brokers in the valley.

While the old man still controls too much of the purse strings, it is Michael who has moved this franchise forward. In today's economy, and with the collective bargaining agreement situation what it is, I can hardly fault the old man for hanging on to the family money. He is different, (not bad). He is old school, and probably out of place, just like I am in this current world. I am old school too, and to me a handshake is much more meaningful than a million contracts. It seems that the lawyers all have it rigged so that the more words placed into a contract, the more ways there are to void, or not have to do what it intended in the first place.

Holler all you want about Mr. B, but get it right. He didn't renege on his end of the agreement, the Phoenix 40 did.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
Get your facts straight. Mr Bidwill did have an agreement with Carl Eller and the Phoenix 40 when he moved the team here to build the stadium they had promised. They failed to produce the stadium, just as they failed to fund the freeway system in a timely manner, and were eventually subplanted as power brokers in the valley.

While the old man still controls too much of the purse strings, it is Michael who has moved this franchise forward. In today's economy, and with the collective bargaining agreement situation what it is, I can hardly fault the old man for hanging on to the family money. He is different, (not bad). He is old school, and probably out of place, just like I am in this current world. I am old school too, and to me a handshake is much more meaningful than a million contracts. It seems that the lawyers all have it rigged so that the more words placed into a contract, the more ways there are to void, or not have to do what it intended in the first place.

Holler all you want about Mr. B, but get it right. He didn't renege on his end of the agreement, the Phoenix 40 did.

That is why they have contracts and law suits. It was your/his obligation to protect his team and his fans and he didnt do it. And yes Mr Bidwill your handshake attitude, backwards ways and no desire to be competitive are why you are unfit to own a team in the 21st Century.

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
That is why they have law suits. It was your/his obligation to protect his team and his fans and he didnt do it. And yes Mr Bidwill your handshake attitude is why you are unfit to own a team in the 21st Century.

The team DID file suit...one that comes to mind right off hand,... ASU promised to split the parking revenue with the team,....then cheated them out of it for twenty years.....when the CARDS finally won the lawsuit,...ASU doubled the cost of parking, and then had students picket the parking lots telling all the fans that THE TEAM was raising their parking fees, and cheating the fans.
Arizona as a whole has treated this team like **** since day one....the entire Phoenix metro area deserves to be without an NFL team......bur Mr Bidwill is old school,....and old school means loyalty to the community..........so even as the community screwed the team at every turn, reneged on every deal,....the Cardinals organization was continually one of the largest charitable contributors to the community every year.
The events involved in the team coming to AZ and getting a stadium built showed massive amounts of character,...but most haters will never see which side showed the good, and which the poor.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
The team DID file suit...one that comes to mind right off hand,... ASU promised to split the parking revenue with the team,....then cheated them out of it for twenty years.....when the CARDS finally won the lawsuit,...ASU doubled the cost of parking, and then had students picket the parking lots telling all the fans that THE TEAM was raising their parking fees, and cheating the fans.
Arizona as a whole has treated this team like **** since day one....the entire Phoenix metro area deserves to be without an NFL team......bur Mr Bidwill is old school,....and old school means loyalty to the community..........so even as the community screwed the team at every turn, reneged on every deal,....the Cardinals organization was continually one of the largest charitable contributors to the community every year.
The events involved in the team coming to AZ and getting a stadium built showed massive amounts of character,...but most haters will never see which side showed the good, and which the poor.

He should have had a contract for a new stadium contingent on the move or better yet dont move until the stadium was built. The lawsuit would then be over not building an NFL suitable stadium and he should have said goodbye AZ. Lawsuits about parking fees is small potatoes. That is like closing the door after the horses got out.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
He should have had a contract for a new stadium contingent on the move or better yet dont move until the stadium was built. The lawsuit would then be over not building an NFL suitable stadium and he should have said goodbye AZ. Lawsuits about parking fees is small potatoes. That is like closing the door after the horses got out.

I agree, there should have been an iron clad contract in hand prior to the move,...relying on a handshake, while honorable, is a poor business decision in this demented world we live in where everyone is out for themselves and being underhanded is a standard business practice.........I didnt enjoy SDS any more than anyone else did.
That lawsuit was just the one that jumped out at me, there were others,but the team lost most of them.....apparently our legal system does not recognize a handshake as a binding deal.
The team really should have left AZ, any success what so ever the team has had, has been in SPITE of the folks in Az, not because of them.
In the end, when all was said and done....Bill Bidwill, the man hated by most Arizonans, sports fans or not,....put up more of his own personal money to build a stadium then any owner in the history of pro sports.
Maybe the old dude just likes abuse?

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
In '09 we went 9-7, and had a playoff berth again. Again the defense came up short. These guys did well on offense, but were pretty poor at coaching a defense. They tried to fix it by replacing Clancy Pendergast with Billy Davis, but he actually fared poorer than Clancy had by allowing our points per game allowed to go up.

In Pendergast's last season the Cardinals gave up 26.6 PPG. When Whiz fired Pendy and promoted Davis the next season, the defense gave up 20.3 PPG. So the defense gave up almost a touchdown LESS per game after Pendy was fired.

Do some research before you post this stuff.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Get your soul right, your mind and body will follow. Mr Bill Bidwill has survived what has destroyed lesser men. He's been a Cards Ball boy and fan for well over 70 years. He bought the remaining interest from his brother in 1970 and paid payments. He has dedicated his life to the Arizona Cardinals, and I've never seen unsportsmanlike manner nor words spoken that reeks of anything close.

The refusal of sharing the 1925 championship with Pottsville, there has to be more too it. Did you see the ex Cardinals from eras gone bye come out and congratulate Lil Billy Bidwill in our lone SuperBowl year?Bill's Dad passed after building the 47 champions but before they actually won.

Many defunct teams and even leauges have come and gone under Bidwills watch, and He stays true to his principles, Lil Billy Bidwill wont go home, can't push Billy round Billy won't budge. Jerry Jones came in after the NFL was a very sure Bet, It wasn't always that way, many died on the vine over the century.

These are the underlying goal and principles that Bidwill lives, and wants to hire and nurture, against all odds. I always thought Whiz embraced them also, but his actions does not match his mouth.

In some Christian traditions, there are four cardinal virtues:
  • Prudence - able to judge between actions with regard to appropriate actions at a given time
  • Justice - proper moderation between self-interest and the rights and needs of others
  • Restraint or Temperance - practicing self-control, abstention, and moderation
  • Courage or Fortitude - forbearance, endurance, and ability to confront fear and uncertainty, or intimidation

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
In Pendergast's last season the Cardinals gave up 26.6 PPG. When Whiz fired Pendy and promoted Davis the next season, the defense gave up 20.3 PPG. So the defense gave up almost a touchdown LESS per game after Pendy was fired.

Leave it to the Cards to do weird stuff. Their points allowed went down in 2009 while total yards allowed went up.

That's I believe Davis' style and we're seeing it again this season as teams march up and down the field and stall in the red zone.

Of course some of it was that the Cards would jump out in front 21-0 or 17-3 and then play prevent the rest of the day which resulted in huge passing days for several opposing QBs.

Reaction score

Just one of many false assumptions and conclusions in the diatribe. It's not worth pointing out reality to some because to them their perception is reality; and there is no convincing them otherwise.

No it doesnt.. It really doesnt..
:yeahthat:

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
Get your soul right, your mind and body will follow. Mr Bill Bidwill has survived what has destroyed lesser men. He's been a Cards Ball boy and fan for well over 70 years. He bought the remaining interest from his brother in 1970 and paid payments. He has dedicated his life to the Arizona Cardinals, and I've never seen unsportsmanlike manner nor words spoken that reeks of anything close.

The refusal of sharing the 1925 championship with Pottsville, there has to be more too it. Did you see the ex Cardinals from eras gone bye come out and congratulate Lil Billy Bidwill in our lone SuperBowl year?Bill's Dad passed after building the 47 champions but before they actually won.

Many defunct teams and even leauges have come and gone under Bidwills watch, and He stays true to his principles, Lil Billy Bidwill wont go home, can't push Billy round Billy won't budge. Jerry Jones came in after the NFL was a very sure Bet, It wasn't always that way, many died on the vine over the century.

These are the underlying goal and principles that Bidwill lives, and wants to hire and nurture, against all odds. I always thought Whiz embraced them also, but his actions does not match his mouth.

In some Christian traditions, there are four cardinal virtues:
  • Prudence - able to judge between actions with regard to appropriate actions at a given time
  • Justice - proper moderation between self-interest and the rights and needs of others
  • Restraint or Temperance - practicing self-control, abstention, and moderation
  • Courage or Fortitude - forbearance, endurance, and ability to confront fear and uncertainty, or intimidation

I see winning is not mentioned. Very interesting. Maybe the NFL really isnt for you? There are some excellent charitable organizations who I am sure live those values. I dont watch on sunday for those values if they cant be achieved with winning. Other teams owners are very charitable but they still win. It is not and either or. Ask Dick Cheney and George Bush. The Cards are still around because of revenue sharing.

Last edited:

chickenhead

Reaction score
All moves are open to criticism, but IMO Whiz gets next year without question. This year is bad, but in four years it will be his first losing season. Reflecting on that as a Cardinals fan, I think the extension was more than justified, and I trust the coach to make the necessary changes more than anyone else.

For the fan constantly bashing him as arrogant, maybe this season is exactly what the doctor ordered. Why wouldn't he think his system was fine when it had led this franchise to a .500 record, a Super Bowl, and the second round of the playoffs in three years? At the end of the season, hopefully he realizes, "hey, if I want the previous success back, I need to give up playcalling to a great OC, to stop playing as fast-and-losse with QBS, etc. etc."

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
All moves are open to criticism, but IMO Whiz gets next year without question. This year is bad, but in four years it will be his first losing season. Reflecting on that as a Cardinals fan, I think the extension was more than justified, and I trust the coach to make the necessary changes more than anyone else.

For the fan constantly bashing him as arrogant, maybe this season is exactly what the doctor ordered. Why wouldn't he think his system was fine when it had led this franchise to a .500 record, a Super Bowl, and the second round of the playoffs in three years? At the end of the season, hopefully he realizes, "hey, if I want the previous success back, I need to give up playcalling to a great OC, to stop playing as fast-and-losse with QBS, etc. etc."

What you are asking for him to see at the end of this season is what he SHOULD have seen after the Super Bowl season. While I don't agree with dumping him right now, I seriously doubt that he will suddenly get it right after this season. I don't see that happening unless he is forced to make the necessary changes by his superiors. Unfortunately, right now he probably wields more power than his immediate supervisor, and without getting an assist from above, I doubt that Graves can force him to do anything.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Actually, it has to end some where as well. Not jobs, I aint getting crazy.

Whiz driving with one hand on the team, and the other on the offensive play call. The end.

Please end the whole Defense not blitzing, and when they do, my grandma can tell when and where its coming.

O-line is so bad, only the O-line coach can be held. So I am getting a lil crazy...end him!

Not adjusting the game plan after the first half has to end.

Counting on our QBs to play well enough not to run the ball really needs to END.

Last edited:

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He hired Denny Green, who brought us some talent. Adrian Wilson, Carlos Dansby, Anquan Boldin, Gerald Hayes, Darnell Dockett, Larry FItzgerald, Deuce Lutui, Edgarin James, Matt Leinart, and Kurt Warner to name a few. .

McGinnis brought us Anquan and Wilson. Just sayin'.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson