IT has started.. ESPN rumor mill

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Thursday, April 16
You must be registered for see images attach
Who wants Boldin?

Anquan Boldin | Cardinals | Interested: Eagles? Jets? Giants? Dolphins? Jaguars? Cowboys? Ravens? Panthers?

While the Cleveland Browns have been surreptitiously marketing Braylon Edwards without publicly declaring his availability on the trading block this offseason, it appears that another high end wide receiver is now also on the market. Ken Whisenhunt recently told Darren Urban of the Arizona Republic that "it would be foolish from our standpoint not to listen to those opportunities and see what actually exists. But I want to make the point: our goal is to re-sign him to a long-term deal. That hasn't changed." Cardinals general manager Rod Graves also chimed in, saying, "we just think it is prudent for us to evaluate all our options."

Both Whisenhunt and Graves chose not to divulge which teams were already in the mix, which is more fun for the average NFL fan anyways.

The New York Giants are expected to get involved, if they haven't already, owing to the fact that they are clearly in need of a new No. 1 wide receiver. While Tom Rock of Newsday has been told by a source that the Giants have not yet inquired about Boldin, Mike Garafolo of the Newark Star-Ledger describes a scenario where the Giants might actually be closer to landing Boldin than Edwards. The Browns seem to be uninterested in budging off of their high asking price for Edwards, while the Cards could potentially accept a lighter offer. On the other hand, Boldin's asking price is probably pretty steep too. Agent Drew Rosenhaus made remarks in February indicating that the Cards would need a deal similar to what the Detroit Lions got for Roy Williams; namely, a deal centered around a first, third and sixth round pick in this year's draft. Of course, as we learn in Economics 101, the more competition that exists in a market, the lower the price of goods will go, so perhaps with this other player now available, one of the teams will soften their compensatory expectations.

The Philadelphia Eagles are another likely suitor for both Edwards and Boldin. At the league meetings in March, coach Andy Reid told the Philadelphia Daily News that, "I'll always look at something if there is a great player out there, and it doesn't matter what position. I'm always looking to better our football team." The Eagles have so far stood by their claim that they are happy with their current slate of receivers, but with such a large cache of draft picks, it'd be a little silly not to at least make an offer. Adding to that sentiment is the idea that Boldin could potentially end up with their arch rivals, and one can easily argue that the Eagles need to be involved.

Another NFC East team, the Dallas Cowboys, has 11 total picks in the draft, and a Williams-Boldin tandem would make defensive backfields shudder. At first, it might seem crazy for the Cowboys to shell out another package of draft picks for another wide receiver; but, with the uncertainty of rookie players being weighed against the near-certain dominance that would be on display with Williams and Boldin on the same team, the move could make sense. The Jacksonville Jaguars might not have the complete wealth of draft picks that the Cowboys, Eagles and Giants possess, but they are playing with the eighth overall selection, which could be an attractive trading chip in the eyes of the Cardinals, who won't pick until No. 31.

For the other receiver-needy teams, the offers might have to be a little more creative than just draft picks. Luckily, the Cardinals are in need of a running back to complement Tim Hightower, and no one is sure about what's going to happen with Edgerrin James, who has asked for his release. One team that comes to mind is the New York Jets, who only have six picks in the draft, but could involve offseason workout-skipping Thomas Jones as part of a larger deal. The team might have a Brian Westbrook-type player in Leon Washington, and with Jones on the wrong side of 30, the time for a big change could be now. The Miami Dolphins could be in the mix as well. Earlier in April during an appearance on ESPN Radio 760, Boldin was asked if he'd be up for playing in Miami, and he responded, "I would love to. You know, I'm a Florida guy, always will be a Florida guy at heart. If it happens, I'll definitely be grateful." The Dolphins also have a lower pick in the first round, and nine picks total, but could dangle Ricky Williams. Williams, like Jones, is also on the wrong side of 30, but had a resurgent performance as the complement to Ronnie Brown in 2008, rushing 160 times for 659 yards and four touchdowns in addition to his 29 receptions for 219 yards and another touchdown. Likewise, the Baltimore Ravens, who have just six picks but could survive on offense with Ray Rice and Le'Ron McClain, could come calling with an offer that includes Willis McGahee. Using similar logic to the above situations, the Carolina Panthers who have just five picks in the draft, might also come calling to Graves with a mix of picks and a player or two.

Whether or not a deal for Boldin actually takes place, it's bad news for the Browns, who now have competition in trying to sell off Edwards. Moreover, the potential for one landscape-changing deal in the NFC East has now been pushed aside, as it appears that multiple teams from the division will be vying for the same players. With just over two weeks left before the draft begins on April 25, there may be much more to come on the Boldin and Edwards sweepstakes in the next few days

OP
OP
AsUdUdE

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My BIGGEST problem with some of these RIDICULOUS trade ideas, is this guy suggesting the Cards would be interested in Thomas Jones/Ricky Williams/Willis McGehee... Which I do NOT think is a realistic option for the Cards (atleast I hope it isn't)...

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My BIGGEST problem with some of these RIDICULOUS trade ideas, is this guy suggesting the Cards would be interested in Thomas Jones/Ricky Williams/Willis McGehee... Which I do NOT think is a realistic option for the Cards (atleast I hope it isn't)...

Miami's first, third and Ricky would be interesting. His legs are still young. He fumbles a lot though.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
All these writers are missing the fact that the Cards do not have to trade him. Why would they settle for less because Edwards is available? Who gives a flying hoot who is out there? Saying we are entertaining offers means we are open to the possibility not that we are looking to get rid of him.

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score
The idea of a "bidding war" for a Cards player is a good thing. I can not remember when (because it never happened in my lifetime) the Cardinals were coming off a successful season (not quite, but damn- so close) and were in position to make this kind of decision. Keep Boldin- I'm happy, he BALLS. Trade Boldin to improve the RB, pass rush or O-Line- might be worth a shot. If another team is willing to overpay I believe we should take it, that's why it's called "overpaying". I think Doucet might be the real deal, Breaston has proved himself and I do want another return man to replace Breaston and Arrington. The Cardinals are in the driving seat. The only question to me is how much trouble can Boldin cause if he is expected to play for his existing salary. I honestly think that Coach Whisenhunt has control of this team and NO player will be able to affect the performance of others. The young players are hungry and will trust The Coach, the Vets have tasted success and will want more. If you're greedy (I don't really mean greedy, but like A Smith and maybe Dansby, if you price yourself out of our market) you will be replaced.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Forget Thomas JOnes.No way the Cards have any interest in him. However, how about the #17 pick and Leon Washington or that "bust" Vernon Gholston?

OP
OP
AsUdUdE

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Forget Thomas JOnes.No way the Cards have any interest in him. However, how about the #17 pick and Leon Washington or that "bust" Vernon Gholston?

I don't think I want Gholston based on how how money he makes... I would LOVE him cheaper, but not top 6 money...

But how about #17, #52, and a 6th (#193) for Boldin... keep him in AFC... I would do that deal...

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score
Down the rabbit hole we go

(6-10)

Rugby, you are delusional if you are predicting 6-10. We have nothing to lose and get to chose from the most attractive of choices: keep Q or trade him for the best offer. Do you have so little faith in our franchise that you do not believe we can come out better from this? Don't make me put you in the category or "Same ol' Fans".

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Rugby, you are delusional if you are predicting 6-10. We have nothing to lose and get to chose from the most attractive of choices: keep Q or trade him for the best offer. Do you have so little faith in our franchise that you do not believe we can come out better from this? Don't make me put you in the category or "Same ol' Fans".

You might have to put me in the "Same ol' Fans" category for a few more seasons. Give me one or two more successful season (playoff apperances) by this franchise and I will gladly have more faith.

I don't think we will be half the team without one of our main weapons in the passing game. In other words, this is a bad move at this time for the Cardinals, IMO.

For more:
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/cards-make-q-trade-an-option-132983-6.html

No need to debate on two threads.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And on a different note,

I must say that the picture of you talking a player's parent at the Superbowl is the most hardcore thing I ever saw.

Cardinal fan in full face paint and gear. Yet, with specticles on and casually talking. Just a great picture.

BTW, when we visited AZ for the Seattle game I walked right past you while you were tailgated. That was before you updated your avatar so I didn't know who you were. Remembered the cool face paint.

How long does that take anyway?

Found it:
attachment.php

Last edited:

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score
The game face/war paint takes 45 minutes to an hour, with a shot of Jack Daniels to do the makeup. Stanley Cromartie approached me and asked if he could get my picture because I was wearing his son's number...I was dumbfounded and in disbelief. He immediately reached for his wallet and whipped out his driver's license. I'm too old to see without my lenses and put them on. He is a very gracious man, very likeable, I was embarassed that I doubted him at all. It is hard to believe I am only 4 years older than he is, he could pass for being under 40. My next goal is to have DRC sign a picture I have of that meeting...SWEET.
Rugby, I wasn't dissing you, I give Cardinals' fans a lot of patience after what we have been through.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Rugby, I wasn't dissing you, I give Cardinals' fans a lot of patience after what we have been through.

Oh no, don't you worry about that. I didn't take it that way at all.

I am without a doubt acting like a Same ol' Cardinals fan. I would love to be wrong, but I just don't like this move in light of our recent moves, and such.

I can't take a stance based on Same ol' Cardinal beliefs and then not expect to be looked at as a Same ol' Fan.

As you stated, many have been though a lot, and it will take a little time and proof till I believe that a move for the "good of the team" will actually be good for the team.

All good. Next time I visit AZ, I will be sure to stop by.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
All these writers are missing the fact that the Cards do not have to trade him. Why would they settle for less because Edwards is available? Who gives a flying hoot who is out there? Saying we are entertaining offers means we are open to the possibility not that we are looking to get rid of him.

Exactly! Don't come calling with less than a first and third to start. If you aren't willing to ante up at least that much, don't waste everybody's time. I'd rather keep him and pay up than go into the crap shoot of Cardinal draft choices anyway.

I'm a little disheartened that Rod Graves started with over $40-million in cap space and now thinks he can't take care of Q. What did he do with all that cap space?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly! Don't come calling with less than a first and third to start. If you aren't willing to ante up at least that much, don't waste everybody's time. I'd rather keep him and pay up than go into the crap shoot of Cardinal draft choices anyway.

I'm a little disheartened that Rod Graves started with over $40-million in cap space and now thinks he can't take care of Q. What did he do with all that cap space?

He paid bonuses. He gave a ton to Warner, and signed free agents. We only had what, 41 guys signed?

seesred

Reaction score
There are going to be many callers. The offers by a couple of teams cold be interesting. I would like to hear from teams in the AFC, not the NFC, which we were the champs of. NOt Dallas please, that would be hard to take.

I still think the chances for Q staying with us are very good.I guess until draft day we wont know for sure. I personally hope he stays.

GBR

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd want Ware back in any trade that we did with Dallas.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I'd want Ware back in any trade that we did with Dallas.

Two reasons why that would never happen.

We would have to send are 1st rounder with Boldin to Dallas for that trade to even be close to fair.

Ware will be the next $100 mill defensive player after Haynesworth.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two reasons why that would never happen.

We would have to send are 1st rounder with Boldin to Dallas for that trade to even be close to fair.

Ware will be the next $100 mill defensive player after Haynesworth.

I know it won't happen. That's what I HAVE to have back in order to see him in a Cowboy uniform. It would be horrible.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have so little faith in our franchise that you do not believe we can come out better from this?
I don't know what I believe...I'm probably somewhere between "total faith" and "complete lack of faith" but I don't think you can blame a fan of either ilk for thinking what they do. On one hand, there are decades of incompetence to overcome. On the other, you have an improbable championship run that came within inches of victory.

I think for me to have complete faith I'll need to see at least one more year of winning games we should with a couple that maybe we shouldn't thown in there for good measure.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I have no idea of what might happen to Boldin other than to say it makes to much sense for Boldin not to be traded as it makes to much sense for it not to happen. We have all the receivers we need and have other needs that could override Bodins importance to us. Yes is all pro caliber but you do not need all your talent and money at one position.

He also does not want to be here which speaks for itself.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/16/boldin-on-possible-trade-i-want-to-get-it-resolved/

One day after the Arizona Cardinals said they would listen to trade offers for Anquan Boldin, the Pro Bowl wide receiver appeared on The Michael Irvin Show on ESPN Radio in Dallas and talked about his future, according to The Dallas Morning News:

• Boldin said he’s open to getting traded to any team, especially to the NFC East, where the Eagles and Giants need a elite receiver.

• Boldin, who said he just has a player-coach relationship with former Cardinals (offensive) coordinator Todd Haley, said he wouldn’t mind playing for him in Kansas City.

• As for getting traded, Boldin said: “I just want to get it resolved. It’s been going on way too long.” Later, he said: “It would hurt, but at the same time, change is necessary. My only problem has been management, always has been.”
Giants general manager Jerry Reese told reporters that “we won’t force anything” in a possible trade for Boldin. The New York Daily News reports that the city’s other team, the Jets, have called the Cardinals about Boldin.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Q has two more years on this contract...and there really is not much for him to do about it because when the guy hits the field he always gives 100%, that is just the way the guy is built, and holding out does nothing for him....money wise or football wise...his teammates still like him and he likes them till something says differently, and his current contract is not exactly going to send him and his family to the poor house anytime soon and he signed it...he is a Cardinal. Now if someone offers a ridicalous offer for him, of course we would consider it but it would have to be sweet

and this whole crap about we need to balance our playmakers on the field with one stud in Fitz and this mystery runningback we are all looking to replace Q with...dumb, you get as many playmakers on the field as you can no matter the ratio and you will score points, our season last year proved that...no, our offense is just fine as it is for the most part and it is our defense we need to improve, improved defense and the Steelers would have NEVER won that Superbowl

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
Doucet is going to remind alot of people of Q. Then he's going to remind alot of people of Early Doucet.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doucet is going to remind alot of people of Q. Then he's going to remind alot of people of Early Doucet.

As long as he stays healthy he will. I could easily see him catching 65-70 balls and 5 or 6TDs with playing time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard