Interesting Rumor

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Apparently neither Darnold nor Rosen want to go to Cleveland. Both are considering staying in school another year to avoid that probability. I’m hearing the Browns prefer Darnold and the Giants would then take Rosen but start Eli next year. If both stay in school it’s no sure thing the Browns even take a QB. Allen and Jackson are not viewed as immediate starters. The Manziel fiasco has scared them off Mayfield. This could yet be a bizarre draft.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The risk is those guys stay in school and Cleveland has the #1 the next year and they're in the same boat. I think they both come out and try to pull an Elway/Eli scenario if needed. Plus, I think teams may throw a boatload of picks Cleveland's way to get a shot at one of them. Denver being the main pursuant.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The NFL renegotiated the CBA to prevent what Eli’s dad did. It was part of the slotted money deal. Now if you refuse to sign for the slotted money there are major financial penalties. It is certainly theoretically possible they trade one or both picks but new GM Dorsey told Schefter he’d draft them anyway. GMs are known to lie but there’s a great deal of pressure from fans on Dorsey to take Darnold. Problem is if he trades out he still doesn’t have a QB.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't really want either guy. Both seem to have great physical talent but neither have put it all together for some reason. I really thought Darnold was going to take that next step and he's gone backwards

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Those two aren't going to stay in school. That's total BS. They're both top 5 picks. No way they go back and risk losing millions.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't really want either guy. Both seem to have great physical talent but neither have put it all together for some reason. I really thought Darnold was going to take that next step and he's gone backwards

I think inexperienced receivers was part of the problem.

GiantCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Apparently neither Darnold nor Rosen want to go to Cleveland. Both are considering staying in school another year to avoid that probability. I’m hearing the Browns prefer Darnold and the Giants would then take Rosen but start Eli next year. If both stay in school it’s no sure thing the Browns even take a QB. Allen and Jackson are not viewed as immediate starters. The Manziel fiasco has scared them off Mayfield. This could yet be a bizarre draft.

Nobody will know what the Giants want to do until they hire a new GM and coach.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The NFL renegotiated the CBA to prevent what Eli’s dad did. It was part of the slotted money deal. Now if you refuse to sign for the slotted money there are major financial penalties. It is certainly theoretically possible they trade one or both picks but new GM Dorsey told Schefter he’d draft them anyway. GMs are known to lie but there’s a great deal of pressure from fans on Dorsey to take Darnold. Problem is if he trades out he still doesn’t have a QB.
CLE is in a rough spot. They need a QB and if they take one, he will be disgruntled and could be a cancer (Rosen more so than Darnold). Darnold would be more likely of the two to go back to USC, better team and same coaching staff and system whereas Rosen would be going back to a new HC and system that he doesn't really fit. They could try and throw an obscene amount of money at Cousins, if he signs then they are in the clear to take someone else in the draft like a WR or OT.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I highly doubt the Browns trade their pick. They've been getting lambasted for doing exactly that. Passing on Wentz, Watson, Trubisky, and taking Kessler 3-4 rounds too early (and 2 rounds ahead of Dak). Screwing up the McCarron trade. What's the use of trading down for more picks, and then just wasting them? A 2nd on Kizer, A 3rd on Kessler, almost another 2nd and 3rd for McCarron?

The Browns have enough picks. What they don't have is a future franchise QB. They've backed themselves into a corner. While pressure doesn't mean it's the right choice, I don't see how the media avoids destroying the Browns if they don't take a QB #1, especially if they trade back again.

Now maybe, after they take their QB, they might be interested in trading the pick they got from Houston, but even then, it extends not just to about QB's, but overall trading down and missing top talent for more picks is the stench Sashi Brown brought them.

They could of kept Sashi if that's what they were interested in doing. They got Dorsey to select 'real football players' with all those picks.

Still, a trade for the Houston pick would be at best a trade for the #3 QB.

As some said, if they sign a free agent QB like a Cousins, this could change things, but still, hearing Browns trading down is cringe worthy.

If we're interested in moving up, it would have to be with the Giants, and that too seems a longshot give the Eli situation. We don't know what a new GM/coach will decide, but it very well could be to move on from Eli, or use him one last year as a bridge.

I just don't think it's feasible for us or anyone else to pry away the top two QB's from them.

Maybe what we should hope for is that some unknown QB climbs up from Senior bowl, combine, individual workouts like a Wentz or Trubisky and supplants one of the top two and pushes them down to 3.

Or maybe we target who we think is best in the QB #3-6 range with our 1st or 2nd round pick. (or trade back up into the low 1st to have two firsts this year).

I've been saying it for about four years now, we need receivers. Our #1 receiver is basically a #3, Fitz. Our #2 and #3 are actually #4 and #5's. I wouldn't mind Brown and Nelson being back, but as #4 and #5 receivers. They can still fill that role, and wouldn't be out there taking the pounding and getting hurt as much. We've been expecting too much from them.

But what we need is a #1, #2, and a #3 receiver. Kirk is in the mold of Fitz (except shorter), but is stronger and more physical, like a Boldin. He's also blazing fast. He's working out hard here in the Valley, already has OBJ's agent, and from what I hear drinking this liver stuff and is getting huge.

It really wouldn't surprise me to see him go really high on draft day. I think we'll be lucky if he's available when we pick. Fitz can man the #3 slot again for one more year, if he returns, but we need to get a blue chipper, and Kirk imo is that guy.

Of course we need an OL, but I'm not addressing that here.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I highly doubt the Browns trade their pick. They've been getting lambasted for doing exactly that. Passing on Wentz, Watson, Trubisky, and taking Kessler 3-4 rounds too early (and 2 rounds ahead of Dak).

i think #1 overall is QB for CLE. I think trading out of #5 is a no brainer

and #5 ought to be good enough for a qb

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
the smartest thing clevelands new GM can do is avoid having to draft a QB...avoid the pressure of the decision, avoid the embarrassment of the pick never playing in cleveland.
they need to sign their QB before the draft then trade away the #1... they still have the 4-5 pick and pending their trade partner they could even pick up two more first rounders(Buffalo has 2)... that 4 or 5 will give them their choice of blue chip top dawg players at any other position

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
the smartest thing clevelands new GM can do is avoid having to draft a QB...avoid the pressure of the decision, avoid the embarrassment of the pick never playing in cleveland.
they need to sign their QB before the draft then trade away the #1... they still have the 4-5 pick and pending their trade partner they could even pick up two more first rounders(Buffalo has 2)... that 4 or 5 will give them their choice of blue chip top dawg players at any other position

Agreed. The should complete the McCarron trade (or pay the big buck to Kurt Cousins) and keeping developing Kizer and Kessler. Now use those draft picks to keep building the talent level. They are on their way to having a superb defense over the next 3-4 years. Hue Jackson has to go, as well. They need a fresh start all the way around.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
If they trade for McCarron, it's to play in Hue's system.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. The should complete the McCarron trade (or pay the big buck to Kurt Cousins) and keeping developing Kizer and Kessler. Now use those draft picks to keep building the talent level. They are on their way to having a superb defense over the next 3-4 years. Hue Jackson has to go, as well. They need a fresh start all the way around.

You think McCarron, Kizer and Kessler would keep them from drafting a Franchise QB? With both the 1st and 5th pick? That would be the height of stupidity, IMO.

None of those QBs are worth a lick. Ignoring the position T the top of the draft would truly be a move only the Browns could make.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
You think McCarron, Kizer and Kessler would keep them from drafting a Franchise QB? With both the 1st and 5th pick? That would be the height of stupidity, IMO.

None of those QBs are worth a lick. Ignoring the position T the top of the draft would truly be a move only the Browns could make.
they need to use that $50mil they have and go after Cousins......a GM's career is often tied to his QB....Cousins is a much safer pick for a new GM than any of the guys in the draft.... mostly because he has proven he can play in the nfl and the others havent.
not to mention with all of the youth cleveland has they could really use a more veteran QB to help get the team over the hump....rookies can provide leadership, but without NFL experience they dont really know what direction to lead the team into.
Cousins is the safest bet....or in a pinch,...Alex Smith if he becomes available.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The risk is those guys stay in school and Cleveland has the #1 the next year and they're in the same boat. I think they both come out and try to pull an Elway/Eli scenario if needed. Plus, I think teams may throw a boatload of picks Cleveland's way to get a shot at one of them. Denver being the main pursuant.
I don't see them being this stupid twice in 3 years. They did that in 2016 and it cost them Carson Wentz so I don't see them making that mistake again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If your objective is to win a Super Bowl... then Cousins sucks

I'd love to see him on a halfway decent roster that wasn't absolutely gutted by giving up two full years of top picks for a bust at QB. Which is what some posters here want to risk doing.

Don't get me wrong, spending everything we can on Cousins isn't my ideal scenario, but with a competent roster that guy would be in the playoffs and at least on a team in shouting distance of a Super Bowl.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I'd love to see him on a halfway decent roster that wasn't absolutely gutted by giving up two full years of top picks for a bust at QB. Which is what some posters here want to risk doing.

Don't get me wrong, spending everything we can on Cousins isn't my ideal scenario, but with a competent roster that guy would be in the playoffs and at least on a team in shouting distance of a Super Bowl.

My personal choice is Tyrod Taylor but only for a bridge QB if Palmer is not in the mix, though I would rather save the money for OL free agents and throw a young guy out there and let it begin. I want us to identify our guy in the draft and then move and draft him no matter what it takes. It's the QB, and that defines our fate with a coach which knows what they want for his offense. Yes, our OL and WRs are lacking but we are about as satisfactory as it can get for a young guy going to a team which needs to fulfill the position. I like Mayfield, Rosen and Jackson but that is just me a fan and hope the Cards decide on the guy and go get him. Cousins would be paying too much for settling for less when I think this draft has the solution

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
My personal choice is Tyrod Taylor but only for a bridge QB if Palmer is not in the mix, though I would rather save the money for OL free agents and throw a young out there and let it begin. I want us to identify our guy in the draft and then move and draft him no matter what it takes. It's the QB, and that defines our fate with a coach which knows what they want for his offense. Yes, our OL and WRs are lacking but we are about as satisfactory as it can get for a young guy going to a team which needs to fulfill the position. I like Mayfield, Rosen and Jackson but that is just me a fan and hope the Cards decide on the guy and go get him. Cousins would be paying too much for settling for less when I think this draft has the solution

I like Taylor too.

I'm just convinced that we can't get the guy "we want," ultimately. Someone's going to make that decision for us, and then it's going to be a matter of figuring out if the guys left over don't have any warts. Interestingly enough, my predictions from last year's draft are coming true - that we were a 7-8 win team, and that we were going to play ourselves out of contention for the top guys. I expected it to come a little differently, but here we are. And now we're staring down the idea that both Rosen and Darnold are going to be unavailable... leaving Allen/Mayfield/Jackson as the top guys, which I don't see any better (and actually, probably worse, given the needs of the teams ahead of us) than the Trubisky/Mahomes/Watson selection we could have traded our way into last year.

I guess maybe it's the "our guy, no matter what it takes" phrase I'm hearing from so many posters on here that gets my britches in a bunch, because if a team as desperate for QB play as the Browns/Giants/Colts is willing to let us to move into their spot, all the way out of the top 10, I'm not going to have much faith in that guy. History has not panned out well for that decision.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison