Interesting Rumor

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I like Taylor too.

I'm just convinced that we can't get the guy "we want," ultimately. Someone's going to make that decision for us, and then it's going to be a matter of figuring out if the guys left over don't have any warts. Interestingly enough, my predictions from last year's draft are coming true - that we were a 7-8 win team, and that we were going to play ourselves out of contention for the top guys. I expected it to come a little differently, but here we are. And now we're staring down the idea that both Rosen and Darnold are going to be unavailable... leaving Allen/Mayfield/Jackson as the top guys, which I don't see any better (and actually, probably worse, given the needs of the teams ahead of us) than the Trubisky/Mahomes/Watson selection we could have traded our way into last year.

I guess maybe it's the "our guy, no matter what it takes" phrase I'm hearing from so many posters on here that gets my britches in a bunch, because if a team as desperate for QB play as the Browns/Giants/Colts is willing to let us to move into their spot, all the way out of the top 10, I'm not going to have much faith in that guy. History has not panned out well for that decision.

The die has been cast. We have to go after the QB we deem is the best of the bunch. Cousins is not the solution if you want to win a championship, I have seen enough of him to know this. Yes, it's not an ideal position to have our backs up against the wall but too freaking bad because we did it to ourselves. Michael wants to win... I doubt our GM is going to be allowed to play with kid gloves in this draft

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The die has been cast. We have to go after the QB we deem is the best of the bunch. Cousins is not the solution if you want to win a championship, I have seen enough of him to know this. Yes, it's not an ideal position to have our backs up against the wall but too freaking bad because we did it to ourselves. Michael wants to win... I doubt our GM is going to be allowed to play with kid gloves in this draft

Again though, you need a dance partner. You can't just say "I've decided I want Rosen and so he's mine. Here's your picks from the value chart." If Rosen (or plug in whichever guy you think should go #1 overall) is "the best of the bunch," the Browns will stand pat and take him no matter what. Sure, everything has a price, but let's just be realistic here. We're not going to be better off if we offer the Browns our #1 for the next three years, David Johnson, and Patrick Peterson to draft a guy who has never thrown an NFL pass.

I just want people to be realistic here. Moving up to #4 or 5 ahead of the Broncos? Realistic. But also more realistic that the Broncos could give up less to move up just a few picks.

Sunburst

Veteran
Reaction score
Should have traded the pick to the Patriots for Garoppolo. Now we have to deal with him in our division for years to come. Safe target now is Cousins. You at least know what you are getting. Honestly, QB pool in the draft does not look great this year. Missed the opportunity to move up last year.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Again though, you need a dance partner. You can't just say "I've decided I want Rosen and so he's mine. Here's your picks from the value chart." If Rosen (or plug in whichever guy you think should go #1 overall) is "the best of the bunch," the Browns will stand pat and take him no matter what. Sure, everything has a price, but let's just be realistic here. We're not going to be better off if we offer the Browns our #1 for the next three years, David Johnson, and Patrick Peterson to draft a guy who has never thrown an NFL pass.

I just want people to be realistic here. Moving up to #4 or 5 ahead of the Broncos? Realistic. But also more realistic that the Broncos could give up less to move up just a few picks.
its not out of the question to think we could trade to #3 with Indy.. maybe cleveland avoids the darnold/rosen hassle because they like allen or rudolph... then NY selects rosen and we are left to choose between darnold, mayfield, and jackson...
nah...its the cardinals...the stars never align right..

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Should have traded the pick to the Patriots for Garoppolo. Now we have to deal with him in our division for years to come. Safe target now is Cousins. You at least know what you are getting. Honestly, QB pool in the draft does not look great this year. Missed the opportunity to move up last year.
Overpay for an average QB? You might as well keep Stanton. Cousins is average at best and I'm not willing to pay $30 million a year to prove that. I'd rather either talk Palmer into 1 more year and draft a QB that could be ready after sitting only 1 season. No more projects at QB.

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The risk is those guys stay in school and Cleveland has the #1 the next year and they're in the same boat. I think they both come out and try to pull an Elway/Eli scenario if needed. Plus, I think teams may throw a boatload of picks Cleveland's way to get a shot at one of them. Denver being the main pursuant.

Should we do it? Why or why not.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Build a team to get to playoffs. Cousins can help get there in right system. Anything can happen in playoffs.

But Cousins is not a fit with Arians.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
its not out of the question to think we could trade to #3 with Indy.. maybe cleveland avoids the darnold/rosen hassle because they like allen or rudolph... then NY selects rosen and we are left to choose between darnold, mayfield, and jackson...
nah...its the cardinals...the stars never align right..

I'm sorry, they're talking about realigning Luck's bicep.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/17/andrew-luck-injury-updates-shoulder

Not a thing about this looks good. Yeah, they might not be able to select Darnold/Rosen... but man, I'd be thinking long and hard about turning this into Manning 2.0 if I were the Colts.

We're in a terrible spot. That said, I don't hate Mayfield.

I guess I should accept it... I want Cousins.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Not a thing about this looks good. Yeah, they might not be able to select Darnold/Rosen... but man, I'd be thinking long and hard about turning this into Manning 2.0 if I were the Colts.

indy is in the right spot to do it... do you think they have decided brissett aint gonna pan out? Because lets face it,...they weren't that good even when they had Luck... Brissett may be able to lead that team just fine if they build it around him...
I guess that will come down to their new coaches evaluation of the team.

Mayfield may well slide... regardless of what is seen the NFL resists change... there is a mold for a QB and Baker is far from it... teams will find it hard to use a top 10 pick on him I think.
much like Rodgers and being a "Tedford" QB...his tape didnt matter as much as the system he was in....if we end up getting Mayfeild at 14,...we can only hope that sliding in the draft burns him as much as it did Rodgers

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

This Niner article is interesting and a good read on him. I noticed when we have played him and get pressure, he does not react well. Now you can say any QB does not react well to pressure, but Cousins seems to become very mediocre if he cannot get the ball to his first read with space to operate which accounts for his issues in the red zone compared to other QBs which we consider elite
http://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/1714-49ers-film-room-kirk-cousins-franchise-quarterback-part/

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
If they have actually said what is implied here, they have made a foolish mistake, imo. Cleveland's future is bright and they should want to be the one to change their fortunes for decades to come. The Browns have a great fan base, and if successful they could have the keys to the city for life. They could plan their whole life around that, from football to state governor to the white house. If they are really thinking they want to get picky where they get drafted at, they simply haven't been shown the big picture.

All they need to do is get an extremely smart advisor help them draw up their rookie contract and tie it into certain things that need to happen and continue to happen or they get released. The main one being tied into a coach's contract and a long term approved plan to insure stability for years into the future. I would even include, if possible, a first right of refusal to buy or buy into the team sometime in the future if he so desired. I would impress upon the whole Brown's (or whoever's) organization that this is a long term Win-Only deal for the city of Cleveland, and that HE is the only QB in this class that is able, willing, capable of making this happen. HE is the next Savior, the 2nd coming of Tom Brady, and those who lack faith will find themselves sitting on the ground outside the pearly gates.

My point being that if they want to start of their career using words like "I don't want to, I won't, I can't, or I wouldn't like ......." then in my way of thinking they are losers who want to have things rather than make things happen.

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
If they have actually said what is implied here, they have made a foolish mistake, imo. Cleveland's future is bright and they should want to be the one to change their fortunes for decades to come. The Browns have a great fan base, and if successful they could have the keys to the city for life. They could plan their whole life around that, from football to state governor to the white house. If they are really thinking they want to get picky where they get drafted at, they simply haven't been shown the big picture.

All they need to do is get an extremely smart advisor help them draw up their rookie contract and tie it into certain things that need to happen and continue to happen or they get released. The main one being tied into a coach's contract and a long term approved plan to insure stability for years into the future. I would even include, if possible, a first right of refusal to buy or buy into the team sometime in the future if he so desired. I would impress upon the whole Brown's (or whoever's) organization that this is a long term Win-Only deal for the city of Cleveland, and that HE is the only QB in this class that is able, willing, capable of making this happen. HE is the next Savior, the 2nd coming of Tom Brady, and those who lack faith will find themselves sitting on the ground outside the pearly gates.

My point being that if they want to start of their career using words like "I don't want to, I won't, I can't, or I wouldn't like ......." then in my way of thinking they are losers who want to have things rather than make things happen.
dude...you ever actually BEEN to cleveland?