I was WRONG....serve me some crow

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I said LOUD and CLEAR "The Cardinals won't be doing a damn thing in FA. Where's the $ gonna come from."

I am SHOCKED to see all this activity. It's clear Arians and the FO have a vision and they are working hard to accomplish it within budget constraints.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess i just don't see this a significant activity. signing STers and backups as starters just doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to do. The Powers signing is really the only move of any significance IMO.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess i just don't see this a significant activity. signing STers and backups as starters just doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to do. The Powers signing is really the only move of any significance IMO.

Mendenhall isn't a backup. IMO that was a pretty significant signing. Even more so than Powers.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm expecting/hoping that the team will still address ILB/S/TE/CB in FA. Then in the Draft we could concentrate on OL/OLB/QB/RB/S, possibly in that order. The team is being heavily mocked by the national media, starting with the QB(Stanton). It will be interesting to see if they mention (when KK is cut) that it was a previous admin. that made the trade.

OP
OP
ARZCardinals

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I didn't see the Cards signing more than 1-2 low market deals.

They've done a good job managing $...or so it seems.

I'm not a fan of losing Kerry, but if we can get an OT or Cassel I'm all in.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I think we lock up 2 more today:

Cason and Brinkley

And then we'll be done. I think Maualuga was pretty much using us to get Cincy to pony up more dough.

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
I think we lock up 2 more today:

Cason and Brinkley

And then we'll be done. I think Maualuga was pretty much using us to get Cincy to pony up more dough.

That would be the icing on the cake.....or for some the corn in the poop.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mendenhall isn't a backup. IMO that was a pretty significant signing. Even more so than Powers.

he had 156 yards last year, wasn't the Steelers starter... and is three years removed from having a season where he got over 1000 yards. that's a backup in my book.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
he had 156 yards last year, wasn't the Steelers starter... and is three years removed from having a season where he got over 1000 yards. that's a backup in my book.

Obviously injuries limited what he did last year. So yes there is risk involved with him from that stand point.

However when you look at what he did from 2009-2011 with Arians as his OC you can see he is obviously a starting back. He averaged over 1000 yards, over 4 ypc and 10 TDs over that three year period with Arians.

To say he is a backup is being obtuse.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would like a better CB than Powers and a S. We do that, I feel a little better heading into the draft. Signing Cason and Michael would be a good step closer to what we had in the secondary. That would put the needs come draft time as QB, RB, TE, OG, OLB, ILB, and S. Maybe a late CB for depth. Where we take a QB is something I am vary curious to see.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wow you just make up stuff just to be a doom and gloomer. He is just one season removed from rushing for 928 yards on a 4.1 average and 9 TD's is it 1000? No. But its certainly far from horrible. He had a blown ACL last year and came back earlier than he should which is surprising he has any stats to amass. He is only 25 and should be fully healed from his ACL. The guy clearly has starters talent and ability. You look like you are just being crabby just to be crabby.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously injuries limited what he did last year. So yes there is risk involved with him from that stand point.

However when you look at what he did from 2009-2011 with Arians as his OC you can see he is obviously a starting back. He averaged over 1000 yards, over 4 ypc and 10 TDs over that three year period with Arians.

To say he is a backup is being obtuse.

he had a less than a 1000 yards in 2011 and looked incredibly sluggish doing it. add that on to a guy with knee injuries who couldn't start last year and I really have no problem saying they signed a backup.

I mean... it's the EXACT same thing they did with Bradley, isn't it? Bradley was a very good player, tore his ACL, came back, was never the same and couldn't get his starting job back... and then we signed him to be a starter. thought that was a meaningless pickup, the same as I do here.

and as far as injuries limiting him... injuries didn't seem to do a damn thing to AP or Jamaal Charles who suffered the exact same injury. bottom line for me... we signed damaged goods, who couldn't get his starting job back last year (on a team that was desperate at RB) and who's last healthy year was mediocre in 2011. it won't be as crippling a contract as Bradley, but I'll be surprised if the production isn't significantly better.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I guess.

They are doing exactly what I thought they would do. Which is sign a handful of non-star players. Doesn't mean it can't all work out great. But, I'm sure there would be a ton more excitement over one Jake Long than the grab bag of players we have brought on board.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow you just make up stuff just to be a doom and gloomer. He is just one season removed from rushing for 928 yards on a 4.1 average and 9 TD's is it 1000? No. But its certainly far from horrible.

speaking of making stuff up... care to show me where I said Mendenhall was HORRIBLE? Oh yeah... I didn't. i said he was mediocre in 2011.

He had a blown ACL last year and came back earlier than he should which is surprising he has any stats to amass. He is only 25 and should be fully healed from his ACL. The guy clearly has starters talent and ability. You look like you are just being crabby just to be crabby.

sounds like Stewart Bradley all over again. And he suffered the same injury that AP and Jammal Charles suffered. They weren't complete non-factors/cancers in their locker-rooms.

I just don't see him as an upgrade. Not saying i wanted to keep Beanie... I just don't see why we basically just replaced him with a similar player. And it's not like I'm the only one saying that. Kent Somers called it a push too. But i guess he's just being crabby too.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
he had a less than a 1000 yards in 2011 and looked incredibly sluggish doing it. add that on to a guy with knee injuries who couldn't start last year and I really have no problem saying they signed a backup.

I mean... it's the EXACT same thing they did with Bradley, isn't it? Bradley was a very good player, tore his ACL, came back, was never the same and couldn't get his starting job back... and then we signed him to be a starter. thought that was a meaningless pickup, the same as I do here.

and as far as injuries limiting him... injuries didn't seem to do a damn thing to AP or Jamaal Charles who suffered the exact same injury. bottom line for me... we signed damaged goods, who couldn't get his starting job back last year (on a team that was desperate at RB) and who's last healthy year was mediocre in 2011. it won't be as crippling a contract as Bradley, but I'll be surprised if the production isn't significantly better.

I see Mendenhall as an instant starter. He can be plugged right in to Arians' offense with no learning curve. So you think Mendenhall won't see the field like Bradley? I think Mendenhall is the starter from day one.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
speaking of making stuff up... care to show me where I said Mendenhall was HORRIBLE? Oh yeah... I didn't. i said he was mediocre in 2011.

sounds like Stewart Bradley all over again. And he suffered the same injury that AP and Jammal Charles suffered. They weren't complete non-factors/cancers in their locker-rooms.

I just don't see him as an upgrade. Not saying i wanted to keep Beanie... I just don't see why we basically just replaced him with a similar player. And it's not like I'm the only one saying that. Kent Somers called it a push too. But i guess he's just being crabby too.

He may or may not be any good, but I can tell you last year he lost a serious step. When he came back from the injury (I think it was week 5) he had zero burst and wiggle like he had previously. Maybe he needed that extra time and this year he will get it back, but to say that "Keim has taken care of the RB situation" is ridiculous.

Cards have two guys coming offer major injuries and some practice squad fodder. This is not an area of strength.

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
I like thatArians is getting guys he is familiar with......and people that are familiar with him.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I said LOUD and CLEAR "The Cardinals won't be doing a damn thing in FA. Where's the $ gonna come from."

I am SHOCKED to see all this activity. It's clear Arians and the FO have a vision and they are working hard to accomplish it within budget constraints.

One thing we did this year right or wrong is we jumped in early rather than wait around until players become cheaper. One of our staff a few years ago stated you could get better bargains the longer you waited. To me that was truly a dumb a-- approach to free agency. In the NFL FA picks the early bird doses not get the worm. Generally he gets a prime rib and a Beefeater martini.

Sam Wise

Big, Dumb, Stupid Looking
Reaction score

Isn't this essentially a repeat of your other thread about Kiem and the FO?

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We signed Bradley to a 5 year 30 million dollar deal, and he never had anything that approached what Mendenhall did. One year 2.5 million with an unknown trigger for an additional 1 million possible.

Bradley came in and was learning a new scheme and defense terminology. Mendenhall will be coming in and know the offense better then anyone on the team except perhaps Stanton.

If we get the same as Beanie Wells except he isn't injury prone and can keep on his feet, then what we got was someone pretty good. If Beanie could stay upright and not get dogged with injuries I think he would be pretty good as well.

I also wouldn't say he was a cancer. Just because he had an issue with the Steelers organization on some level. Perhaps he was rushed back and then they inactivated him for some reason that we really don't know about. Either way I wouldn't of minded Beanie back and he stated he was auditioning for 31 other teams, which is alot worse than at worst acting like a cry baby about not playing. One shows heart...in the form of a baby, the other is contempt for the organization. Still there was little to no shot to re-sign Beanie (unless we overpaid for an injury prone back), yet if Mendenhall does good (or bad) we either re-sign him or have more money to throw somewhere else next offseason. At 25 he has a shot to have a much longer career here then Bush or Jackson would have, though I wouldn't have minded either. They also would have cost a bunch more (or at least Bush would have, who know regarding Jackson).

Beanie WAS the most talented back we've had here for a decade or so. He just couldn't put it together, stay upright, or on the field. Wasted talent.

We signed a young, strong runner with quick feet that is tough to bring down for 2.5 to 3.5 million, and in no way have mortgaged our future. It may not work out, but I don't see the downside or many better options, if any, when you look at the cap situation.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
This.