I am getting blasted with pop ups,

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
That are trying to sell me something to stop popups.

It is driving me crazy. What should I do?

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Start by running a Spyware removal tool.
See my response here

If they are the messenger type (only on Win2K or XP) go to control panel; administrative tools; services. Stop the messenger service and set to manual startup.

GL:thumbup:

OP
OP
KingofCards

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Thanks guys. So far so good.

No more of this type of thinking:

:computer:

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I did both Goggle and Spyware S&D and then I did what the guy on that webpage did and I still get the messenger pop ups.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
EndZone,

Make sure to have stopped the service or rebooted in addition to setting the messenger startup to disabled (or manual).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What was strange for me is that I had DSL, but we had to cancel back in June because Earthlink was so bad. So until last week, I had dial-up and in that month and a half, I kept getting a lot of those messenger popups. I didn't do anything--I got cable internet now, and the popups don't happen. I didn't change anything to my profile. So they came during dialup but not during highspeed. AND I never run messenger anyway.

Do you guys run AOL? I'm wondering if AOL was the culprit because that's what I run during dialup. (I get it free since I work for AOL Time Warner)

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
AOL sucks - I hated it when i had it (but I didn't know better). I had it from 96 till 99.

When I cancelled my service, they called me at least 2-3 times a week for a year to get me back.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by maddogkf
AOL sucks - I hated it when i had it (but I didn't know better). I had it from 96 till 99.

When I cancelled my service, they called me at least 2-3 times a week for a year to get me back.

I would never get it and pay for it.

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I did disable messenger...these popups come when I am not using my computer. I come back and it has like 40. They are all advertising spam blocking programs.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Originally posted by EndZone
I did disable messenger...these popups come when I am not using my computer. I come back and it has like 40. They are all advertising spam blocking programs.

Setting the messenger to disable only affects the startup behavior of the service.

If you haven't stopped the service or rebooted after setting the service to disable it hasn't taken effect yet.

That was all I was asking about.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by EndZone
I have rebooted...someone help I hate these things!

Do you have a firewall program? I use the freeware version of Zone Alarm and it has worked pretty well.

Free Zone Alarm

Basically, a firewall puts you in charge of who on the 'net is allowed to talk to your computer. You have to specifically give permission for each program on your computer (IE, mail, AIM, whatever) to access the internet and it blocks others (a la evil msmsg senders) from accessing your computer.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thought, I have the new Google Bar 2.0.95, and it has a pop-up blocker built in, along with an Form Auto-Filler...pretty snazzy.

Mike

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Install Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) and turn on Internet Connection Firewall (ICF). I had that same problem and this took care of it. Search the Microsoft knowledge base.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard