How close is this team to contending?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Against the Dodgers, probably not as close as we would like, but if the Dbacks had a legit closer, they would have swept the Dodgers in LA in the recent series. They are currently 3-0 versus the Yankees.

But they have struggled against teams they SHOULD beat **cough**Miami**cough**

To compete, they really need:

1) Another solid starting pitcher. It is a shame that Weaver went down - that cost the Dbacks probably a few games
2) A legit closer and another solid arm in the bullpen - lack of those cost the Dbacks another 5-10 games

Dbacks have a fairly solid line-up otherwise

1B) Walker - while not Goldy in his prime, better than average
2B) Marte is an All-Star (either here or CF)
SS) Ahmed is a better than average SS
3B) Escobar is solid
C) Kelly is turning into a solid C, Avila is a great backup (Realize that NO Catcher in MLB catches more than 75% of games, and most are in the 60-65% range, so a solid backup is crucial)
OF) Peralta has been slowed by injuries and that has hurt. Dyson/Marte/Jones have been solid in CF Locastro has contributed. If there is one area that the Dbacks could improve, it is OF.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Archie seems to be effective lately. He even close the final 1 1/3 inning of the first Yankee game.

Is it because he has supplemented his pitches . . . or because he has been out of the picture for awhile?

Time will tell.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Against the Dodgers, probably not as close as we would like, but if the Dbacks had a legit closer, they would have swept the Dodgers in LA in the recent series. They are currently 3-0 versus the Yankees.

But they have struggled against teams they SHOULD beat **cough**Miami**cough**

To compete, they really need:

1) Another solid starting pitcher. It is a shame that Weaver went down - that cost the Dbacks probably a few games
2) A legit closer and another solid arm in the bullpen - lack of those cost the Dbacks another 5-10 games

Dbacks have a fairly solid line-up otherwise

1B) Walker - while not Goldy in his prime, better than average
2B) Marte is an All-Star (either here or CF)
SS) Ahmed is a better than average SS
3B) Escobar is solid
C) Kelly is turning into a solid C, Avila is a great backup (Realize that NO Catcher in MLB catches more than 75% of games, and most are in the 60-65% range, so a solid backup is crucial)
OF) Peralta has been slowed by injuries and that has hurt. Dyson/Marte/Jones have been solid in CF Locastro has contributed. If there is one area that the Dbacks could improve, it is OF.

1B - I agree and Walker should hopefully improve with experience
2B - is Marte a one hit wonder or is this sustainable? I think it is sustainable but that remains to be seen
SS - Ahmed is an excellent defensive player and I feel like offensively he is upper half MLB wide.
3B - Escobar is solid
OF - I agree with you 100%. This is an area that needs tending to. Peralta is the new AJ it seems.

SP - Beyond Greinke and Ray, this is a weak area and needs drastic improvement imo. Returning guys from injury will help but let's not forget Godley was a starter and was bad.

RP - Needs help in a big way. Roles really need to be defined and it is up to the players to provide the definition.

Sum total for me: With no changes this will be a team who can win 80-85 games but will not contend for a WS title. With changes, this team can be a factor in the postseason.

I think Hazen is the right guy to continue the transformation.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Hard to say how close as we don't know what the rotation will look like... But, if for some reason Ray remains with the team, a ton will still depend on how Weaver and Walker perform once they return.
Clark can be an inconsistent #5 and perhaps good enough to get by. But if we ended up with Greinke, Ray, Walker and Weaver are our top 4, AND, if Walker & Weaver perform well, our rotation would be good enough.
Lopez is developing into something very serviceable. TJ is solid. Godley and Hirano are good enough, though I am always uncomfortable when they're in the game... Chafin (if he remains with the team), is better than good, especially against lefty hitters. And as for Archie... We all know he has the ability to be a rock-solid closer. He proved that just last night with a 4-out save in da Bronx! But can he be trusted over the full course of a season? Who the hell knows...and all that said, YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH ARMS!

The infield is steady. Walker at first is good enough, though it would be nice to see him become more consistent at the plate. Second base is a hole. It would be extremely helpful if we could find a legit, solid-hitting everyday 2nd baseman. SS is locked down with Ahmed, who is now hitting well enough to compliment his amazing defense. 3rd base is locked down with Escobar.

Left Field is fairly solid with Perralta... though, I am concerned we have seen his best days. He turns 32 in two weeks and is showing to be quite injury prone - nothing devastating, just enough to keep him from being a reliable and consistent presence.
Marte has CF on complete lock down. Amazing to see how good and comfy he is in CF. RF is an issue. Jones is gone after this season (if he's not traded first). Locastro is a nice utility/bench guy, but definitely not an everyday starter.
Catcher looks to be very solid with Kelly blossoming right before our eyes.

So we might not be that far off from being a legit competitor for a wild card... but again, that depends upon the condition of our rotation, strengthening the pen, Perralta finding a way to stay healthy, and more legit options are located for 2nd base and RF.
If all of that fails to come together in a positive/productive way, we will remain a .480 - .500 team...

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the Outfield questions for 2020 is will Souza be able to contribute?