Demote Lovullo to Bench Coach...Hire Bochy as Manager

krazy2k

Veteran
Reaction score
If the DBacks really want to win another World Championship, they need to hire a manager who has won it all. Lovullo makes too many in-game mistakes - but would be a good bench coach based on his relationship with the players. He threw in the white towel in the 9th inning last night by sticking with Sewald too long - particularly after the blown save in Game 1 which was the true defining moment in this World Series. Sewald simply was not ready for the biggest stage in baseball. Hopefully Hazen increases payroll to upgrade the position players at 1st and 3rd, get at least one more top line starting pitcher, and a new candidate to compete for the closer role.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We hit the ball better we are still in this. Change the hitting coaches if you want to make a change cuz overall approach and philosophy at the plate Sucked. Adding two competent bats is key next year

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We hit the ball better we are still in this. Change the hitting coaches if you want to make a change cuz overall approach and philosophy at the plate Sucked. Adding two competent bats is key next year
Dbacks had soooo many chances last night and didn’t come through a single time. Not sure if a new hitting coach solves the issue but it’s worth looking into

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bochy gets a lot of love for his 4 WS rings and he seems to be a great big game coach. I think he has benefited from rosters built by great GM's such as Brian Sabean & now Chris Young who in three years has become one of the top GM's in baseball IMO.

Torrey was on fire until the World Series, let see if he learns from this experience and tightens up his in game adjustments. Of course, Kendrick could really help him out by spending some money this offseason and give him some more big pieces to work with.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team was supposed to contend for a WC, not reach the WS. Texas had the 4 highest payroll, and we have the 21st highest. We'll upgrade holes and be back in major contention next year. This team is doing it the right way!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
This team was supposed to contend for a WC, not reach the WS. Texas had the 4 highest payroll, and we have the 21st highest. We'll upgrade holes and be back in major contention next year. This team is doing it the right way!
I agree. I don't understand the concept of bashing the AZ manager. If you swap him with Bochy for this series I don't know that it would have made the difference in the final outcome. a lot of people are putting the rangers as a surprise, but that is because of their poor history. if you look at what they have been doing over the last 2-3 years, this should not be a surprise. they also have a fair amount of draft prospects in the works.

OP
OP
krazy2k

krazy2k

Veteran
Reaction score
There is no planet you can demote Torey after this world series run and I say that as one of his largest critics
Just on my krazy planet. Of course I was kidding. The run to the World Series earned Torey at least another season as manager. But his in game management is horrible. No one can argue with that. Going to Sewald in the 9th inning of Game 5 down only a run was pure insanity after Sewald's blown save in Game 1.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Just on my krazy planet. Of course I was kidding. The run to the World Series earned Torey at least another season as manager. But his in game management is horrible. No one can argue with that. Going to Sewald in the 9th inning of Game 5 down only a run was pure insanity after Sewald's blown save in Game 1.
IDK, most managers go to their closer when they need a clean inning in the 9th. what was the other option? to me that was the right decision. the rangers have good bats. semien is an all star and stepped up in Garcia's absence.

OP
OP
krazy2k

krazy2k

Veteran
Reaction score
IDK, most managers go to their closer when they need a clean inning in the 9th. what was the other option? to me that was the right decision. the rangers have good bats. semien is an all star and stepped up in Garcia's absence.
Well, most closers are used when the team is ahead, not behind. Before the game, Lovullo stated that Pfaadt could be available in a pinch. So, Lovullo had other options for the 9th inning of Game 5. Sewald ended any hope of an "answerback" by throwing gasoline on the fire.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Well, most closers are used when the team is ahead, not behind. Before the game, Lovullo stated that Pfaadt could be available in a pinch. So, Lovullo had other options for the 9th inning of Game 5. Sewald ended any hope of an "answerback" by throwing gasoline on the fire.
Yes I understand where you are coming from. The bigger issue for me is whether Seawald is their closer moving forward. the thought was to put your best guy out there in the top and win it in the bottom because it is an elimination game. why would you save your closer for a hypothetical? so this was not a normal situation, it was one where a manager has to think outside of the box. If he puts another pitcher out there and they give up the runs he would have been questioned for not using his closer.

The fielding errors didn’t help the d-backs pitching either in this series. There was a massive error committed by walker as well a couple of games ago that fueled a big inning. I thought Texas were going to rue the decision not to send Evan carter in their 7th inning scoring opportunity. He would most likely have scored if sent, but then got out on a run down later.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most closers are used when a save is on the line. But when it's a do or die game, "most" becomes irrelevant. You make the best choices you can for the situation. So, we can argue he chose poorly but who did he have that has functioned in a stress loaded late game situation? Throwing Brandon out there could have been devastating for a young pitcher. At least it wasn't Byung-Hyun Kim.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Btw Congrats @lorenzotexan

That’s 3 DFW teams that have won it all since the last Cowboys SB!!
thank you. this was by far my favorite one, including the cowboys lol who seem like they have 0 chance of winning now with Jerry Jones. the rangers were the first sports team I loved when I was a kid. I went to so many games at the old Arlington Stadium with my family. that was the only pro sports event that we could afford. the rangers were so bad in those days. security would let people in free to those games after they started. I went to a lot of spring training games as well in surprise and peoria when I lived in phoenix. there is nothing like going to baseball games.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard