Gravity

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man, I can't understand how any cinefile only had mild interest in this...just based on Cuaron alone, I was jacked to see this movie. the trailer only made me want to see it more and now, after early reviews I'm pretty much salivating.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
man, I can't understand how any cinefile only had mild interest in this...just based on Cuaron alone, I was jacked to see this movie. the trailer only made me want to see it more and now, after early reviews I'm pretty much salivating.

I had interest in it. So what if it was mild--it looked boring in the original teaser, but I know from watching Moon that trailers could be deceiving.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had interest in it. So what if it was mild--it looked boring in the original teaser, but I know from watching Moon that trailers could be deceiving.

was just surprised that's all. surprised people found the teaser boring as well. wasn't meant to be an insult.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are boring and full of spit!

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

I was one of those people too. I may be in the minority, but I didn't enjoy Children of Men all that much. And I hate Sandra Bullock movies with the white hot passion of a thousand suns.

That being said, when I saw the trailer in theaters (in 3-D), I knew I had to see this movie. That trailer alone took me back to when I was 6 years old, watching the Challenger tragedy unfold on live TV. Same gut-punch feeling. And it was just a snipet of the movie!

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
They say Hollywood is nothing but remakes, reboots, superheroes, and adapted materials (mostly teen lit). Nothing original comes out of there anymore.

Well here is something original at least.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Y Tu Mama Tambien, Prisoner of Azkahban, Children Of Men, all great movies IMO.

All great movies (Prisoner of Azkahban is my favorite HP), but I don't get the must-see vibe from him that I get from say, Spielberg or Scorsese. At least not until Gravity. :)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All great movies (Prisoner of Azkahban is my favorite HP), but I don't get the must-see vibe from him that I get from say, Spielberg or Scorsese. At least not until Gravity. :)

i still get that from Scorsese (but not like I did during his heyday), but not Spielberg so much anymore. Had zero desire to see Warhorse and Tintin and when I tried to watch them, i couldn't get through more then 30 minutes. Although I thought Lincoln was brilliant, before that, he hadn't made a movie that I was really impressed by since Catch Me If You Can.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
One word describes this film perfectly: overhyped. Stunning visuals and good use of angles and wide lens shots. Clooney's character rocked and Bullock's wasn't bad. The imagery hammer was about 1,000 lbs, though, and the plot had more holes than Carter had little liver pills. I mean, you'd have thought it was a comedy, it elicited that much laughter. I want 1 1/2 hours of my life back, along with my ten bucks.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gravity

Release Date: October 3, 2013 (3D/2D theaters and IMAX 3D, p.m. screenings)
Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
Director: Alfonso Cuarón
Screenwriter: Alfonso Cuarón, Jonás Cuarón
Genre: Sci-Fi, Thriller
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for intense perilous sequences, some disturbing images and brief strong language)

Starring: Sandra Bullock, George Clooney

Plot Summary: Dr. Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) is a brilliant medical engineer on her first shuttle mission, with veteran astronaut Matt Kowalsky (George Clooney) in command of his last flight before retiring. But on a seemingly routine spacewalk, disaster strikes. The shuttle is destroyed, leaving Stone and Kowalsky completely alone--tethered to nothing but each other and spiraling out into the blackness. The deafening silence tells them they have lost any link to Earth...and any chance for rescue. As fear turns to panic, every gulp of air eats away at what little oxygen is left. But the only way home may be to go further out into the terrifying expanse of space.

You must be registered for see images attach

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
One word describes this film perfectly: overhyped. Stunning visuals and good use of angles and wide lens shots. Clooney's character rocked and Bullock's wasn't bad. The imagery hammer was about 1,000 lbs, though, and the plot had more holes than Carter had little liver pills. I mean, you'd have thought it was a comedy, it elicited that much laughter. I want 1 1/2 hours of my life back, along with my ten bucks.

:yeahthat:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Saw that coming a mile a way. I pegged this the first time I saw the commercial. :fireball:

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anytime a filmmaker has to invent the technology to realize his vision, you can usually count on a great movie. They've invested too much to make anything less. Think:

Star Wars
Lord of the Rings

I am sure there are more examples.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that neither Peter Jackson or James Cameron invented CGI.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that neither Peter Jackson or James Cameron invented CGI.

did crisper say they did?

Crsiper said they created new technology for movies, which they did.

here's an article all about the innovations Cameron has made in film:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/digital/visual-effects/4339455

and Peter Jackson helped created WETA, which is one of the biggest FX firms in the world and amongst the most respected. there are countless articles about this.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wow! That is REALLY at odds with all the critics. RT has it at 98% fresh.

With all due respect, since I do agree with a lot of what you say about movies, I'll gladly pay the bucks and be my own judge on this one. :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! That is REALLY at odds with all the critics. RT has it at 98% fresh.

With all due respect, since I do agree with a lot of what you say about movies, I'll gladly pay the bucks and be my own judge on this one. :)

Take a bag with you if you're prone to motion sickness.

Steve

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Considering you and I are on the same page about 90% of the time I'm doubting you agree with Stout as often as you think you do. :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard