Gravity

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been hearing really good things about this movie. Can't wait to see it!

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I've been hearing really good things about this movie. Can't wait to see it!

http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/telluride-2013-cuarons-gravity-is-an-experience-unlike-any-other/

Every once in a long while I'll come across a film that seems to be the culmination of everything in my life that I've been waiting and wanting to see. Usually these films become my all-time favorites. Tonight, I had another one of those experiences - seeing Alfonso Cuarón's space survival movie Gravity in 3D at the Telluride Film Festival. It is a visually groundbreaking, epic cinematic experience unlike any in film history.

My final word: Gravity is a remarkable, extraordinary, spectacular, breathtaking, emotional, mesmerizing experience. It is a revelation for the science fiction genre (or perhaps the finest example of science reality) and an achievement unlike any other. I'm happy to instantly call Gravity one of my all-time favorite movies and I look forward to experiencing it again many, many times over. Alfonso & Jonás Cuarón's masterpiece.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
http://variety.com/2013/film/reviews/gravity-review-venice-film-festival-1200589689/

Apparently, the technical achievements are just as impressive as the story, acting, etc. Looking forward to this one.

All in all, it would be impossible to overestimate the difficulty of what Cuaron and his top-of-the-line crew have pulled off, or to guess at the staggering number of decisions that were made regarding specifics of camera placement and movement; the motion-control robots that were used on the actors to plausibly simulate zero-gravity conditions; the marvelous scope and detail of Andy Nicholson’s production design; and the meticulous integration of visual effects, all-digital backgrounds, traditional lighting schemes and other live-action lensing techniques. But perhaps the boldest risk of all was the decision to combine these elements in a manner that would hold up under the prolonged scrutiny of the camera, in single-shot sequences of such breathtaking duration and coherence. Somewhere, one imagines, the spirits of Stanley Kubrick and Max Ophuls are looking down in admiration.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm having a very hard time curbing my enthusiasm for this movie. huge fan of Cuaron, thought the trailers were awesome and now, the reviews are out of this world. it can't possibly live up to my expectations at this point!

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm having a very hard time curbing my enthusiasm for this movie. huge fan of Cuaron, thought the trailers were awesome and now, the reviews are out of this world. it can't possibly live up to my expectations at this point!
So nobody has the power to say "hey guys, there isn't any gravity in space. Are we going for irony?"

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
So nobody has the power to say "hey guys, there isn't any gravity in space. Are we going for irony?"

Sure there is. Gravitational pull is a very real force in space. How does the moon revolve around the Earth or the Earth around the Sun? And by the looks of the trailers, Sandra Bullock is zooming further and further away from Earth's.

Plus, the gravity of her situation looks pretty intense.

:p

Also, if we could really shoot Sandra Bullock into space, that would be great.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure there is. Gravitational pull is a very real force in space. How does the moon revolve around the Earth or the Earth around the Sun? And by the looks of the trailers, Sandra Bullock is zooming further and further away from Earth's.

Plus, the gravity of her situation looks pretty intense.

Also, if we could really shoot Sandra Bullock into space, that would be great.
Nevermind. Haha. I am so full of crap.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah everytime I get psyched up for a movie I'm usually let down. I have a good feeling about this one though.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Anytime a filmmaker has to invent the technology to realize his vision, you can usually count on a great movie. They've invested too much to make anything less. Think:

Star Wars
Lord of the Rings

I am sure there are more examples.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anytime a filmmaker has to invent the technology to realize his vision, you can usually count on a great movie. They've invested too much to make anything less. Think:

Star Wars
Lord of the Rings

Waterworld?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Star Wars
Lord of the Rings

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

Nominated for Best Picture and the highest grossing movie of all time. The story may not have been to your liking, but you are clearly in the minority on this one.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nominated for Best Picture and the highest grossing movie of all time. The story may not have been to your liking, but you are clearly in the minority on this one.

It was a terrible movie. Wasn't that the year they nominated ten movies?

Any movie that uses the "I trusted you" storyline with the undercover person who falls in love with the person who then gets mad when the true identity is revealed is garbage.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Thought of a few more movies that invented technology to realize the vision, but I am sure Mulli will hate those too.

The Matrix
Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought of a few more movies that invented technology to realize the vision, but I am sure Mulli will hate those too.

The Matrix
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Matrix no. Is that the recent one? Never bothered to see. :)

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Matrix no. Is that the recent one? Never bothered to see. :)

Yeah it is the recent one. It was one of those where I think most people (myself included) went into it wondering why it was necessary and expecting a joke of a movie. Then it turned out to be a surprise commercial and critical hit.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
100% of Rotten Tomatoes so far...

Some more reviews from those critics who have seen 'Gravity':

Village Voice:
I haven't yet fully recovered.

Hollywood Reporter:
At once the most realistic and beautifully choreographed film ever set in space, Gravity is a thrillingly realized survival story spiked with interludes of breath-catching tension and startling surprise.

Time:
If the film past is dead, Gravity shows us the glory of cinema's future. It thrills on so many levels. And because Cuar‪ón is a movie visionary of the highest order, you truly can't beat the view.

Time Out:
This isn't just the best-looking film of the year, it's one of the most awe-inspiring achievements in the history of special-effects cinema.

HitFix:
For sheer transference of experience upon the audience, I can think of no film quite like it.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
must stop reading reviews!!!!!

That one part where it was all like "whoosh" and then "boom", I was like, "Yeah!" But then that other part, where the character was like, "uh oh", I was like, "I can't breathe!"
- Bloggy McBloggerson

Utterly indulgent and slightly pedantic. With the filmaker being from Mexican descent, I would have thought that he would had used actors with similar backgrounds. The "lost in space" story is a clear metaphor for the feeling Dreamers have, being caught in the void between two countries. Unfortunately with Clooney and Bullock in the lead roles, that message is lost on lesser minds.
- Uppity Liberal Review

Clearly a liberal metaphor for the crumbling space program (a big government program if there ever was one) and the need to invest more tax dollars into astronaut safety, rather than ask if we should be up there at all.
- Tea Party Weekly

Meh, it was alright.
- Mulli

:D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard