Goran Dragic - Most Improved?

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
I will go on record as saying Goran Dragic will not win the award for Most Improved Player, because his stats aren't sexy enough, but when you compare his game last season with what he's been able to do this season, is there a guy in the league that's turned his game around more completely than he has?

I'm not talking just about stats, I'm talking about the intangibles as well. He's playing with great confidence, has complete control of the 2nd unit, and quite a few of his passes last night looked very Nash-like in their timing and delivery. His defense is solid as well. Nash was all smiles last night when he greeted him at halftime - undoubtedly the sensei is quite pleased with the progress of the student.

What's your guy's take?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this carries over into next year, I think he'll be on everyone's radar for that award.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I will go on record as saying Goran Dragic will not win the award for Most Improved Player, because his stats aren't sexy enough, but when you compare his game last season with what he's been able to do this season, is there a guy in the league that's turned his game around more completely than he has?

Robin Lopez?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Too many other higher-profile candidates. Carl Landry probably has the inside track. Andray Blatche is making a late push. One could make a case for Durant, really -- the guy's averaging almost 30 and 8. Dragic isn't really in the running, considering that his minutes will probably drop back to 15-20 per game once Barbosa returns.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
He won't even get more recognition than Frye.

And besides that 2nd year players shouldn't be winning most improved player awards. They are expected to improve.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Don't forget Marc Gasol. He's having a great year in memphis, as is Zach Randolph to a lesser extent.

I agree, Dragic won't win it, but the difference in his confidence is night and day.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was more disappointed that neither made the second year team at the All Star Game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact that we're even talking about a number of Suns being improved players says a lot for the team. I'm really appreciating what Alvin Gentry has done with the players on the roster, especially forming a defensive unit with the second team.

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
Wonder how ol' "not my job to develop players" or play the bench or defense likes hearing about how the Suns bench is kicking arse. All damntonis weaknesses are improving right now on our team.

Last edited:

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah he has been playing great latly i'm still nervous when nash retires, if he can be a full time starter pg and lead us to the playoff's though. But he has defintally been fun to watch this year and I hope he continues it to next season and beyond.

scotsman13

Reaction score
I doubt any fan outside of phoenix even knows who he is.

Hey wait I am outside of Phoenix and i know who goren is. One thing I will say about him is that from what i can remember of Nash when we drafted him I would say that goren is already better then Nash was then, and his defense is a good deal better.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I doubt any fan outside of phoenix even knows who he is.

On League Pass, you see a lot of the opposing broadcasts, and really I haven't heard one group that's said bad things about Goran. Broadcast teams around the league know his name, that's for sure.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If this carries over into next year, I think he'll be on everyone's radar for that award.

-
If this carries over into next year it'll be a shame that he'll be playing behind a 37 yr old PG on a team likely $till trying to win ju$t enough game$ to get into the playoff$.

+
I agree though,the kid has grown leaps and bounds over the course of a year. I've been watching more and more lately just due to the growth of Dragic and Lopez. Its very exciting to watch your draft picks develop.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
On League Pass, you see a lot of the opposing broadcasts, and really I haven't heard one group that's said bad things about Goran. Broadcast teams around the league know his name, that's for sure.

Im sure. Those dudes are paid to be in the know. I was talking about the casual to semi serious basketball fan. It would be like if you asked me about the casspi dude from sacto. Ive heard of him and seen him play a couple of times but I couldnt tell you what his strengths or weaknesses are unless I read about it somewhere or watched him play more.

But yea, the people that actually do the MIP voting, Im sure they know who he is. I was exaggerating a bit.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
-
If this carries over into next year it'll be a shame that he'll be playing behind a 37 yr old PG on a team likely $till trying to win ju$t enough game$ to get into the playoff$.

Leave some of that horse for the vultures, dude.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It's a beautiful combination. Alvin Gentry encouraging Dragic to play his own style at Point Guard and Dragic responding with assists -- ten as a starter, five off the bench.

Confidence brings results, which brings more confidence, etc., etc., etc.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
"Dude,don't call me dude." Scatterbrain
:raccoon:
You don't have to eat it....but as long as you choose to sit at this table, you're gonna see it.

You might be the least knowledgable Suns/NBA fan I have encountered.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
-

Dragic is learning how to play PG from the best, Steve Nash. Last night I seen Dragic drive through the lane in an almost circular manner (much like Nash does looking for a play) before he brought the ball back out. I started thinking how much Dragic has learned from Nash in learning how to probe defenses. Before you start knocking Nash on his lack of athleticism to play good defense, remember Nash was never gifted with the athleticism of a player like Dragic that has yet to learn the skills to surpass his master.

+
I agree though,the kid has grown leaps and bounds over the course of a year. I've been watching more and more lately just due to the growth of Dragic and Lopez. Its very exciting to watch your draft picks develop.

I enjoy watching draft picks develop as well. Gentry has done a good job of developing Dragic, Lopez and the rest of the Suns bench although Clark plays as soft as a marshmallow. The combination of Lopez and Frye has actually given the Suns a complete center of sorts.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Before you start knocking Nash on his lack of athleticism to play good defense, remember Nash was never gifted with the athleticism of a player like Dragic that has yet to learn the skills to surpass his master.
Just because i believe that Dragic should start next season doesn't mean i'm knocking Nash....this is what the fanboys don't get or understand.

I enjoy watching draft picks develop as well. Gentry has done a good job of developing Dragic, Lopez and the rest of the Suns bench although Clark plays as soft as a marshmallow. The combination of Lopez and Frye has actually given the Suns a complete center of sorts.
The emergence of Robin Lopez(and his ability to rebound and defend) may prove to be the the key in going forward with Amare whenever the FO decides to go w/a youth movement. Surround Amare with some toughness and rebounding might prove to be a viable direction.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just because i believe that Dragic should start next season doesn't mean i'm knocking Nash....this is what the fanboys don't get or understand.

I am not in a fanboys category, just a Suns and a NBA fan. I don't lock onto NBA players just because they play for the home team or they are NBA rock stars although I do have my favorites. Nash has earned his level of respect. Dragic has yet to surpass Nash as a player and IMO he probably never will be as good a player as Nash... although as a Suns fan I can always hope.

The emergence of Robin Lopez(and his ability to rebound and defend) may prove to be the the key in going forward with Amare whenever the FO decides to go w/a youth movement. Surround Amare with some toughness and rebounding might prove to be a viable direction.

Nash and Hill are not part of the problem with a youth movement on a thirteen man roster.

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Thats just ignorance on your part son....
I'm a fan...not a fanboy.
I don't even read your posts anymore because i feel lke i'm watching a SUNS commercial trying to sell season tickets on channel 45.

You don't have to eat it....but as long as you choose to sit at this table, you're gonna see it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard