Gerald Hayes?

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He signed a 70 Million dollar contract ext then had career ending knee surgery. Oh wait, I got confused. Hayes had issues with rehab and Green tossed him on IR.

OP
OP
R

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
Big Deal said:
He signed a 70 Million dollar contract ext then had career ending knee surgery. Oh wait, I got confused. Hayes had issues with rehab and Green tossed him on IR.

You mean he didn't want to do the re-hab or couldn't?

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Green stated he had a setback in the rehab. So I don't think he was healing as quicly as they would like. With that position I think it's better to play it safe and bring him back next year anyway.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Big Deal said:
He signed a 70 Million dollar contract ext then had career ending knee surgery. Oh wait, I got confused.

:( Damn suns. This offseason sucked.

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
From RotoWire:

Oct 6 Hayes (knee) was put on injured reserve on Thursday ending his season, the Cardinals' official website reports.
Recommendation: Hayes had arthroscopic knee surgery in August and was expected to be out a couple of months with the surgery. It looks like the Cardinals have given up on a possible return for Hayes, and hope that the off-season will allow him to make a full recovery

From Stats Inc:

Oct 6 Hayes has been slow to recover from arthroscopic surgery to repair cartilage and meniscus damage in his knee, prompting the Arizona Cardinals to place him on injured reserve. The linebacker, who has been sidelined since hurting the knee in a preseason meeting with the Dallas Cowboys, will miss the rest of the 2005 campaign.

Not sure if he just has a slow recovery rate, or if he was dogging his rehab, hopefully he'll be 100% next year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard that Hayes was the 3rd Card in the last year + to go in for what appeared to be minor knee surgery and wind up missing a lot more time. Boldin, Rolle, and Hayes. The implication being Hayes' knee turned out to be worse than we were originally told.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was really hoping Hayes would return this year. His presense in the middle would really help with stopping the run.

cards 24-7-365

Registered
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I heard that Hayes was the 3rd Card in the last year + to go in for what appeared to be minor knee surgery and wind up missing a lot more time. Boldin, Rolle, and Hayes. The implication being Hayes' knee turned out to be worse than we were originally told.

I will contend that we are all mistaken thinking any surgery - especailly knee surgery for an athlete is "minor" - No surgery is minor.

I agree as fans we are frustrated by the seemingly inept Cardinals medical staff. However, if a surgeon decides to do a surgery arthorscopically - it only means that is the method throught which he does the surgery - I think there is a false sense of a "scope" being relatively minor when in fact many surgeries of different severities and recovery times are done through the "scope".

In all three cases mentioned above - (speculation warning) I believe that the reason for surgery is a torn meniscus. Now depending on the location and the severity of the meniscal tear, sometimes a "clean up" is enough and other times a repair is necessary.

In the case of a clean up - recovery time can be very short (4 weeks). In the case of a repair - a period of 4 weeks is spent on crutches to allow the repair to heal. Then the athlete can begin more traditional rehab - which will take longer becasue of the muscle and strength loss during the non weight bearing phase.

So although all three players had a "scope" - there was a more significant surgery performed in each case. I think the repair is getting more popular with younger athletes as it preserves the cartilage (shock absorption) in the knee.

Here are some interesting articles about meniscal injuries, "minor" and recovery times written by a PT - may be a little technical but you get the idea - no surgery is "minor"

http://sportscenteraustin.blogs.com/the_view/2005/05/barry_bonds_min.html

and

http://sportscenteraustin.blogs.com/the_view/knee/index.html

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm actually not blasting the Cards medical staff, I'm blasting whoever it is (Denny Green) that keeps popping up in the media(Denny Green) and announcing that it's just a minor scope thing and he'll be back in a few weeks before they've even done the procedure. Just venting.

If you heard the press conference after one game Green was asked about Rolle's surgery and he said something like they went in, they found something, he'll be fine I don't really know much more than that I haven't been briefed but he's a great kid and he'll be back playing soon. It really bugged me he sounded
1) completely disconnected from the process like he literally had no idea.
2) despite that he was making a prediction on time while admitting he had no basis to do so since he's not a doctor and had not been briefed
3) and he threw in for good measure something about Rolle being a good kid and tough which I took at the time to be a slam on some other players, in particular on Hayes.

I would just hope that the next time a Card player hurts a knee Green, in the words of that Italian lady on Amazing Race, "shuts his piehole" and just says I don't really know let's wait and see what the doctors find.

Again sorry to vent, it's just like the morons on tv, "well I don't want to speculate but the way he went down looks like a serious knee injury to me." If you don't want to speculate, shut your piehole!

Ahh that felt good. :thumbup:

cards 24-7-365

Registered
Reaction score
Russ, I agree with you. I guess it frustrates fans when we are told that these guys will be back in X amount of weeks and then they go on IR. The root of the problem is exactly what you said - it is the coach or press making these predicitons on when these guys will return when they know nothing about what procedure they just had.

If anything, over estimate how long the rehab process will take and then everyone will look good if the athlete comes back a week or two early.

This whole "Amare will be back in 4 months" is a perfect example... but that is for another forum.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard