Gannon roasted for pep talk

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Pretty sure that doesn't include rollover either. Currently we have the 2nd most to rollover.

Also doesn;t include moving on from Ertz and/or Conner.
It includes everything for all 37 players currently under contract for 2024...so yes, it should include rollover, as it's updated in realtime. Any other contract adjustments throughout the 2023 league year will still impact, though.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Pretty sure that doesn't include rollover either. Currently we have the 2nd most to rollover.

Also doesn;t include moving on from Ertz and/or Conner.

I don't know why spotrac's is different, but I trust OTC more, anyway.

There's no argument that we get better in 2024 without a robust free agency strategy. We're actually likely worse because there's no Hollywood.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Imagine thinking that Monti Ossenfort will be able to trade veteran players for valueable draft capital at this point. Talk about assuming facts not in evidence.
You're pretty delusional if you think he could get any valuable draft capital in any of those trades or releases.

Maybe you should look in the mirror on how you evaluate these moves, not cast stones, eh? Hopkins ended up signing with a non-contender and reporting indicated that some teams wanted the Cardinals to renegotiate his contract to take on even more money and they would give the Cardinals a 5th. Silliness.
We have less comparative cap space in 2024 than we did going into 2023, but whatever. Trust the process.
What does this even mean?

I just checked and the Cardinals will have over $51 million in cap space and that doesn't include rollover, which means they could probably have $68 million. Comparative cap space? Nonsense.

This looks like the Cardinals are hedging their Murray bet, and it's the best plan going forward.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Free agents aren't signed in a vacuum; you have to compete for them. We went from being top 5 in cap space to somewhere outside the top 10.

We have enough 2024 cap space to move on from Kyler Murray, but not enough to probably take a leap forward unless all our draft picks from this year and next work out.
I'm a fan of Murray, but you have to admit that moving on from him has to be considered, and the plan to use a ton of the cap space this year is pretty stupid plan when you know you might have to eat over $80 million in dead cap in 2024?

For all we know, Ossenfort might have come in and told Bidwill this during his interview. He might of said something to the effect that we need to rehab Murrays image leaguewide (hence all the good publicity this off-season) and move the kid for what we can get, while also positioning the team to get a top rookie QB in 2024. That's why you draft the OT over the edge because having a good OL would help the young QB to play well early on.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You're pretty delusional if you think he could get any valuable draft capital in any of those trades or releases.

Maybe you should look in the mirror on how you evaluate these moves, not cast stones, eh? Hopkins ended up signing with a non-contender and reporting indicated that some teams wanted the Cardinals to renegotiate his contract to take on even more money and they would give the Cardinals a 5th. Silliness.

What does this even mean?

I just checked and the Cardinals will have over $51 million in cap space and that doesn't include rollover, which means they could probably have $68 million. Comparative cap space? Nonsense.

This looks like the Cardinals are hedging their Murray bet, and it's the best plan going forward.
This makes a ton of sense. KM is coming off an injury and playing in a new offense. For me that is why seeing Kyler on the field this year is essential.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This makes a ton of sense. KM is coming off an injury and playing in a new offense. For me that is why seeing Kyler on the field this year is essential.
It's not just the injury.

Murray has had some highs, but has had some really troubling lows too.

If the Cardinals can draft Caleb Williams and another top prospect (maybe Alt/Fashanu or MHJ) and move Murray for multiple good picks, the pain will go away quickly and the Cardinals can virtually wash away the stink quickly.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I know you are addressing PACardsFan, but I would say my feelings on tanking goes like this:

I don't want the team to tank, but it's inevitable from all the moves made, so I might as well accept it. Nothing I say can stop it.

It's kind of like a root canal. You know the surgery is going to suck, but the pain right now will go away. There is no full promise it's going to work, but it's a better option than what is currently going on.

I read @kerouac9 saying he thought they could have been in the hunt this year, but I think that's a Kool aid proposition. I don't think it would have been possible except for the most extreme of situations and even then, the roster makeup would have made it unsustainable long term.

Even during the 10-2 start, if you go back and look, I was saying the team wasn't sustainable because of the finances and build of the team. It was always headed this way.
I've asked the dentist why several different procedures wouldn't have helped and could've prevented a root canal, but the board dental experts insist there weren't any other possible procedures this offseason that could help us :D

Stout

Reaction score
The Cardinals had $30 million or so going into free agency, but that kind of money doesn't really buy all that much and requires some pushing money into the future year.

I think if I took the job as Arizona Cardinals GM with the situation earlier this year, I would probably have done a lot of what Monti did. He has a QB coming off a significant injury and with significant questions on whether he is the QB of the future...and also said QB just signed a big extension.

So unless you are 100% committed to Murray, you would need to plan for his replacement. That means you have to prepare for a big cap hit in the coming years. How is it a viable way cap wise to trade Murray and still field a viable team? Not commit long term dollars to players and roll over cap space.

This process is likely to suck for us, but how will we feel when the Cardinals draft Maye/Williams and another key building block and trade Murray for draft capital? Murray's contract will look great to any team trading for him and that should increase his trade value.
How do you excuse literally punting on FA? Adding not one single long-term piece? Knowing, because you are an intelligent poster, that this will set back the "re-build" by at least a year? You don't punt on a major avenue of adding talent and call it a solid plan. You just don't.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's not just the injury.

Murray has had some highs, but has had some really troubling lows too.

If the Cardinals can draft Caleb Williams and another top prospect (maybe Alt/Fashanu or MHJ) and move Murray for multiple good picks, the pain will go away quickly and the Cardinals can virtually wash away the stink quickly.
Still think we won't have a shot to get Williams, even if we have two picks. There are a lot of bad teams and we'd have to get lucky. And, we all know that when it comes to luck ............. .

Only chance is that the "Luck gods" don't know that we have the Texans pick.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This assumes facts not in evidence. We went into free agency with top 5 cap space. You can torture syntax as much as you like, but we planned to be bad, we likely will be bad, and we maybe only have one or two building blocks for the future.

We also had a QB1 with a blown out knee, who at the time was projected to miss a good chunk of the following season. Top 5 cap money that could be rolled over, a high pick that could be manipulated into future high picks, so why spend all that cap money to field a rudderless ship until KM could come back? With that in mind an opportunity for a monster reset presented itself.

I don't know, dude. We can both speculate the why's all we want, I suppose. In essense, I agree with the idea that we are fielding a team with less talent than was possible. But dont you EVER accuse me of torturing syntax. I never even met the guy.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
How do you excuse literally punting on FA? Adding not one single long-term piece? Knowing, because you are an intelligent poster, that this will set back the "re-build" by at least a year? You don't punt on a major avenue of adding talent and call it a solid plan. You just don't.
Because the Cardinals have to save as much money as possible to possibly cut Murray.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's a real dumb plan to use up cap space, just to have to cut pieces to cut Murray.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
How do you excuse literally punting on FA?
my current theory: he is keeping next years cap as commitment free as possible in the event he has to move on from Murray and take a big, one-year dead money charge

(and i will admit, that for every theory on what Monti's "plan" is, there is at least one move that doesnt fit with it)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've asked the dentist why several different procedures wouldn't have helped and could've prevented a root canal, but the board dental experts insist there weren't any other possible procedures this offseason that could help us :D
If your tooth is abcessed you have to kill the infection BEFORE you can treat the tooth and get the relief that a root canal and cap will give you.

This team was/is abscessed. Taking a Vicodin will give you temporary relief, but the pain will come back. It’s going to take some time to rid this team of the infection.

We can only hope we have the right dentist.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
FA this year has resulted in the following starters:
Center
Guard
D Lineman
Inside LB's (Two)
And before anyone says that maybe so, but they aren't any good, I'll say, let's see how they turn out.
There were going to be 22 starters anyway. They couldn’t all be replaced with draft picks and UDFA rookies.

The question is how many of those guys are above-replacement level and when they were acquired zero of them were. It would be extremely unlikely all of them are.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There were going to be 22 starters anyway. They couldn’t all be replaced with draft picks and UDFA rookies.

The question is how many of those guys are above-replacement level and when they were acquired zero of them were. It would be extremely unlikely all of them are.
But, remember that MANY on this Board think we haven't signed any FA's. And, while I don't know how any of the above five guys will turn out, I do feel good about our new center and the two ILB's. LG might be a wash and I have to say that losing Watt and Allen will probably hurt.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Also, you did omit ST's when talking about starters. And while I have no idea how this year Specials compare to last year's, they are a big part of the team.

Stout

Reaction score
FA this year has resulted in the following starters:
Center
Guard
D Lineman
Inside LB's (Two)
And before anyone says that maybe so, but they aren't any good, I'll say, let's see how they turn out.
Starters that may be as good as chopped liver lol How could you even type D-linemen with a straight face?

Stout

Reaction score
I actually typed with my fingers. Have no idea how you can type with a straight face.
Your typing disallows you from making facial features? Like grimacing at typing ridiculous things, or laughing fiendishly with arguments you know are ridiculous? You can't make those faces while typing?

Give him credit for signing DL starters smh I mean, gimme a break.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort