Game 15 Impressions: Cardinals 27 Cowboys 26

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Disagree completely. The offense has been obviously dumbed down, just watch how simplified things have become versus what we were running last year for Warner.

Night and Day.

Plain and simple, Skelton has struggled mightily to find open receivers (like many young QBs do) and that's not a knock on Whisenhunt. And Whisenhunt IMO is wise to bring down the expectations and fanfare for Skelton. He's a project and we don't need anyone to get too excited about him so early.

The offense was dumbed down the day CKW decided that DeWreck Anderson, Max Hall and John Skelton would be the Cards 3 QBs and that Levi Brown needed to play LT.

Stupid moves. No matter how they happened. That is poor coaching.

However, Fitz was open most of the night and only caught one pass. Meanwhile Skelator seemed to be fixed on Roberts. McGee did the same thing. If he couldn't find Witten he looked lost most of the time. Late round Rookie QBs.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The offense was dumbed down the day CKW decided that DeWreck Anderson, Max Hall and John Skelton would be the Cards 3 QBs and that Levi Brown needed to play LT.

Stupid moves. No matter how they happened. That is poor coaching.

However, Fitz was open most of the night and only caught one pass. Meanwhile Skelator seemed to be fixed on Roberts. McGee did the same thing. If he couldn't find Witten he looked lost most of the time. Late round Rookie QBs.

You mean ROOKIE QB's...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 Wow, if you had included just a little on his mindgames this season you would have covered exactly how I see it. Be ready for those whinning about how he is a great coach that made Warner into a superman and lead us to a Super Bowl with players no one else could coach. Be objective Man!!!

Objective is a nice word. It doesn't apply very often here. We all think we're being objective but considering how far apart we are on some basic issues, obviously, some of us are failing at it.

How many people actually whine (or whinny if that's what you meant) about how Whiz is such a great coach. IMO, many of us simply tout his successes in an effort to provide balance against his many accusers. I don't know if the guy is a great coach or a horrible coach, I'm too far away from where the decisions are made to really know for sure. However, if we're not going to judge him by his results than what basis should we use?

We've had more success under Whiz than under any other HC in Arizona Cardinals history. Maybe he's not responsible for all of it but how do people like you "know" he's not responsible for our Super Bowl trip and how do you "know" he's not responsible for Warner's resurgence? Is it the same way that you all seem to "know" that he's completely to blame for this season?

I think our success under Whiz is enough to warrant giving the guy a few breaks. This season has been a disaster and as we go forward, we'll gain a better idea how much of it really is CKW's fault. If steps aren't taken to begin correcting these problems, we'll have our answers.

Steve

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
All I care about at this point is Whiz learns from his mistakes like he requires his players to do... If the Cards have another crappy season next year then the Whiz era is over in my book...

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't care how dumbed down the offense is relative to Warner, it didn't seem to be called to Skelton being a rookie with little NFL experience. It will be interesting to see the play calls in hindsight, but I was expecting to see a stronger reliance on the run after the 2 pick-sixes - just didn't seem to transpire.

Are those 3 receivers bunch sets I saw all night? Are those easy for rookie QB's to work with? I was pretty irritated watching the offense last night when I saw the formations coming out of the huddle.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't care how dumbed down the offense is relative to Warner, it didn't seem to be called to Skelton being a rookie with little NFL experience. It will be interesting to see the play calls in hindsight, but I was expecting to see a stronger reliance on the run after the 2 pick-sixes - just didn't seem to transpire.

Are those 3 receivers bunch sets I saw all night? Are those easy for rookie QB's to work with? I was pretty irritated watching the offense last night when I saw the formations coming out of the huddle.

How excited can you get about an offense that only managed 12 and 13 points against Carolina (24th Points allowed) and Dallas(31st in points allowed)?

I guess after the Anderson and Hall led misadventures it does look pretty good. And of course there was the first last minute come back regular season win since about 2003.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll never find a post from me saying Max Hall is ever going to be a good NFL QB. But, even I can understand why he started first. BYU runs an NFL style offense and Skelton is coming from FORDHAM.

Whisenhunt said in his postgame radio interview that, even though he was very happy with how Skelton finished the game, Skelton missed numerous plays he expects the QB to make. And, that he needs to build on this finish and continue to get better.

Yep nobody was more disappointed in Hall's play than me but I honestly think Skelton's play so far has show exactly why the coaches had Hall ahead of him earlier in the year. Skelton has the physical talent but he's not very polished and they didn't want to throw him to the wolves. They felt Hall was better equipped and more ready to play in that scenario. It didn't work, Max was terrible, but he knew the offense much better then than Skelton does now.

What you like about Skelton is the physical stuff, size, arm strength, and presumably that he's smart. Mitch commented on his good footwork I think his footwork is close to awful, he's often throwing off his backfoot or throwing without stepping towards the target. I think he does have a much better feel for the rush than Hall displayed, he's not a sitting duck back there like Max was at times.

The long ball to Roberts I have a hard time calling that a beautiful throw, the db fell down and Roberts was totally alone. I'm glad he got the ball there and made the play, but that was a busted play. Honestly until late in the game about half his yards were on that one play.

But I was really happy with the last drive, he sucked it up, the easy thing to do there is throw 4 incompletions and end the game saying you tried, but he made the throws that he had to and got us to where Feeley could win it.
I thought that was great, he showed a lot on that drive. I'm glad he's playing now and he should continue to play but if we get a chance to get a vet or a kid like Luck we should absolutely pursue it, Skelton is still a long ways from being ready to start on a good team IMHO. He has the potential, but he's raw.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Yep nobody was more disappointed in Hall's play than me but I honestly think Skelton's play so far has show exactly why the coaches had Hall ahead of him earlier in the year. Skelton has the physical talent but he's not very polished and they didn't want to throw him to the wolves. They felt Hall was better equipped and more ready to play in that scenario. It didn't work, Max was terrible, but he knew the offense much better then than Skelton does now.

What you like about Skelton is the physical stuff, size, arm strength, and presumably that he's smart. Mitch commented on his good footwork I think his footwork is close to awful, he's often throwing off his backfoot or throwing without stepping towards the target. I think he does have a much better feel for the rush than Hall displayed, he's not a sitting duck back there like Max was at times.

The long ball to Roberts I have a hard time calling that a beautiful throw, the db fell down and Roberts was totally alone. I'm glad he got the ball there and made the play, but that was a busted play. Honestly until late in the game about half his yards were on that one play.

But I was really happy with the last drive, he sucked it up, the easy thing to do there is throw 4 incompletions and end the game saying you tried, but he made the throws that he had to and got us to where Feeley could win it.
I thought that was great, he showed a lot on that drive. I'm glad he's playing now and he should continue to play but if we get a chance to get a vet or a kid like Luck we should absolutely pursue it, Skelton is still a long ways from being ready to start on a good team IMHO. He has the potential, but he's raw.

How about Skelton's footwork on Roberts' TD? Did you check it out, Russ? He evaded a strong rush to his right, sidestepped to his left, gathered his balance quickly and stepped up in the nick of time to throw a ball 40 yards on the money.

Sure...his footwork isn't consistently good yet...but he senses pressure well and already reacts to it better than average.

How about the nifty footwork under duress and quick vision he displayed on the pass to Komar which set up the field goal?

For a player his size...this stuff is impressive.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
How about Skelton's footwork on Roberts' TD? Did you check it out, Russ? He evaded a strong rush to his right, sidestepped to his left, gathered his balance quickly and stepped up in the nick of time to throw a ball 40 yards on the money.

Sure...his footwork isn't consistently good yet...but he senses pressure well and already reacts to it better than average.

How about the nifty footwork under duress and quick vision he displayed on the pass to Komar which set up the field goal?

No doubt Mitch. I have to admit - I'm lost as to how Whiz could've been so low-keyed about Skelton as to push Hall above him... I get the fact that Hall is older and played at BYU vs Fordham. But holy crap - you have to blind not to see the glaring reality that Skelton is by far, much more NFL-ready than Hall will ever be... Wow... :bang:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

I sounds like you guys are talking about two different things

You are referring to Skelton's Ben R type ability to stand in among a rush, move a little, and make a throw. You see Ben R make all sorts of throws flat footed because the rush is on him -- and Skelton does the same thing.

I believe Russ is referring to technical QB footwork when he throws --- and while I am no expert, it may be why his accuracy is spotty

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Objective is a nice word. It doesn't apply very often here. We all think we're being objective but considering how far apart we are on some basic issues, obviously, some of us are failing at it.

How many people actually whine (or whinny if that's what you meant) about how Whiz is such a great coach. IMO, many of us simply tout his successes in an effort to provide balance against his many accusers. I don't know if the guy is a great coach or a horrible coach, I'm too far away from where the decisions are made to really know for sure. However, if we're not going to judge him by his results than what basis should we use?

We've had more success under Whiz than under any other HC in Arizona Cardinals history. Maybe he's not responsible for all of it but how do people like you "know" he's not responsible for our Super Bowl trip and how do you "know" he's not responsible for Warner's resurgence? Is it the same way that you all seem to "know" that he's completely to blame for this season?

I think our success under Whiz is enough to warrant giving the guy a few breaks. This season has been a disaster and as we go forward, we'll gain a better idea how much of it really is CKW's fault. If steps aren't taken to begin correcting these problems, we'll have our answers.

Steve

:notworthy:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's funny that Mitch says Bickley calls it like it is.

Most of the local fans think Bickley is a no talent ass clown. Mitch is just touting him because he's saying what Mitch wants to hear. I think playing for draft picks is bullcrap.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I have no interest in calling names or lining up on the anti whiz or pro whiz bandwagon.

I'm a fan and I call it as I see it.

I've done nothing but praise whiz until this year then things went off the rails hard. I hope he learns something from this year like I think most fans hope.

However, he did some things this year that have shaken my faith in him hard, very hard and if people don't like that then fine, you aren't going to change my mind though because my opinions are formed by what I see.

It's not just the QB situation, it's how the team played, it's how the coaches coached, it's moves made.

Lot to learn, hope he gets a lot of messages from this year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard