Free Agency

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
And yet this will limit you to waiting until later in free agency and/or picking at the bottom of the barrel, lest you lose these comp picks. Not a good way of doing business or rebuilding the roster. Ugh.
No real good path outside of re-signing our good, young players. We don't seem as interested in that tho.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And yet this will limit you to waiting until later in free agency and/or picking at the bottom of the barrel, lest you lose these comp picks. Not a good way of doing business or rebuilding the roster. Ugh.

What business are we doing this year?

I'm thinking anything other than value guys or young guys with upside is a waste of money right?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I'm thinking anything other than value guys or young guys with upside is a waste of money right?
Young studs that cost are fine if we get them on a long-term deal. This would even be preferable if we're talking OL as they would have time to gel together. That would hurt the comp picks, though.

Bottom line, letting young talent walk and just trying to clutch the hope of comp picks is a very poor roster-building strategy.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Young studs that cost are fine if we get them on a long-term deal. This would even be preferable if we're talking OL as they would have time to gel together. That would hurt the comp picks, though.

Bottom line, letting young talent walk and just trying to clutch the hope of comp picks is a very poor roster-building strategy.

We have absolutely no idea that's what's happening. They may have made both players good offers. They may resign one or both before FA starts. We have no idea.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Do you think that there are no other NFL teams searching for value guys or young guys with upside?

"Young guys with upside" essentially defines Zach Allen and Byron Murphy.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you think that there are no other NFL teams searching for value guys or young guys with upside?

"Young guys with upside" essentially defines Zach Allen and Byron Murphy.

What part of my post suggested that other teams aren't looking for the same thing or that we shouldn't resign Allen or Murphy?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What part of my post suggested that other teams aren't looking for the same thing or that we shouldn't resign Allen or Murphy?
It's just an inane comment, then.

No front office starts their offseason meeting saying, "Everyone, we're looking to sign as many players as possible who can't perform to their contract value. Also, we're only signing aging players with diminishing skills."

There are good reasons not to post.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are good reasons not to post.

Feel free to shut up then. I was talking to Stout. I was clarifying he doesn't expect to be very active in FA.

It didn't require your pointless multi post strawman intervention.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I'm surprised we haven't cut Golden or Gardeck yet. Both are fringe starters and free up about $6m.
Well, because right now, even if you upgrade those positions, you still need depth. Golden and Gardeck can be rotation/situational guys...and they could both be guys you hold onto during camp and then cut.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, because right now, even if you upgrade those positions, you still need depth. Golden and Gardeck can be rotation/situational guys...and they could both be guys you hold onto during camp and then cut.

There's no value there though. Dimukeje can replace Golden's performance for 600k. I love Golden, he's a dude, but he looked washed last year.

Gardecks value only seems to be ST's now and you can get ST's players for less than half what Gardeck is paid.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
There's no value there though. Dimukeje can replace Golden's performance for 600k. I love Golden, he's a dude, but he looked washed last year.

Gardecks value only seems to be ST's now and you can get ST's players for less than half what Gardeck is paid.
I think Golden suffered on the stat sheet because he was the primary edge rusher, and he's just not built to do that. Put Wil Anderson on the other side of him and he'll hover somewhere between average starter and replacement level.

I think that Golden and Gardeck will have to show out at minicamp to stick on the roster into training camp.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Golden suffered on the stat sheet because he was the primary edge rusher, and he's just not built to do that. Put Wil Anderson on the other side of him and he'll hover somewhere between average starter and replacement level.

I think that Golden and Gardeck will have to show out at minicamp to stick on the roster into training camp.

I agree on Golden, just not sure he's worth that money.

You might be right they keep them round and cut them later depending on how FA and the draft go. But I thought they might give them both a run at free agency.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seeing as OBJ was unemployed for a year, what effect would his signing have on compensatory picks?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave