Free Agency

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If ARZ doesn't end up with Anderson or Myles Murphy then I would expect them to sign a pass rusher in free agency but that could be pricey especially for a guy like Yannick Ngakoue whom I would want.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If we want to optimize free agency for 2024 compensatory picks, look for guys who are on the market due to (1) voided contracts and (2) cut. These players do not factor into the compensatory pick calculation.

As of now, and according to OvertheCap.com, here are the veterans we might be looking at at positions of potential need. (Age and 2022 team in parens, sorted by 2022 snap %).

IDL
Fletcher Cox (33, PHI)
David Onyemata (31, NO)
Dalvin Tomlinson (29, MIN)
Jordan Phillips (31, BUF)

CB
:Literally no one:

LG
Rodger Saffold (35, BUF)

C

TE

QB

I had no idea it was going to be this bleak. The Cards would be wise to prioritize re-signing Will Hernandez and/or Cody Ford and Billy Price just to have options going into the draft.

There will still be free agents available after the comp pick calculation deadline has passed in, like, June. Some of them will be gems. But it'll be an interesting minicamp.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I would prefer not to break the bank in FA this year. I dont think we will be competitive in 23 regardless....so might as well look towards the future. I would add as much talent through the draft this year as possible, give it a year to see how the new schemes work, and then be ready to pounce on FA's that compliment our core in 2024.
I hope they have the patriots approach, spreading the money over the talent - long term functional signings Over splash. Hard to do with Kms contract, but makes it even more necessary.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I hope they have the patriots approach, spreading the money over the talent - long term functional signings Over splash. Hard to do with Kms contract, but makes it even more necessary.
That worked with the greatest QB ever...have not seen it work much without him.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
2024 Comp picks should be the last of the Cardinals worries.
And yet that's the pacifier that many posters on this board are using/going to use to explain to themselves why losing Murphy and/or Allen is Not That Bad.

Losing them for nothing is actually better than losing them and deciding to kick back for the first two months of free agency to get something for them (maybe).

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
And yet that's the pacifier that many posters on this board are using/going to use to explain to themselves why losing Murphy and/or Allen is Not That Bad.

Losing them for nothing is actually better than losing them and deciding to kick back for the first two months of free agency to get something for them (maybe).
I agree that being competitive and adding talent to the roster sooner rather than later is probably the only way Kyler sticks around.

I strongly disagree with the belief that it's a good idea to pay big money to 30-year-old James Bradberry over 25-year-old Byron Murphy.

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The Patriots' $159.6 million in guaranteed money spent on free agents signed after the start of the 2021 league year on March 17 sets an NFL record, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Fun fact. 30 year old Jason Hargrave best pressure production in his career was 18 pressures. Pressures are totals of QB hurries, knockdowns, and sacks. Highest tackle for loss was 10. Zach Allen, four years younger, has two seasons over 18 pressures, highest was 25 (missed three games), and 10 TFLs.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

No, you don't understand the plan! We then we can draft some other players, train them up to prepare them for another team in FA! Then, we turn around, let them leave in FA and get more comp picks.

The system works!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Like grammatically or contextually?
Grammatically. :)

No, you don't understand the plan! We then we can draft some other players, train them up to prepare them for another team in FA! Then, we turn around, let them leave in FA and get more comp picks.

The system works!

That system works for some teams when they have a defined core of elite players. Hard to build that way.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
And yet this is the only way you get something back if they let both Zach Allen and Byron Murphy walk.
And yet this will limit you to waiting until later in free agency and/or picking at the bottom of the barrel, lest you lose these comp picks. Not a good way of doing business or rebuilding the roster. Ugh.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose