Free Agency 2020

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Philadelphia supposedly to pursue James Harden.

I know it's not going to happen with the Suns but Harden played at Arizona State.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um why? He is exactly the player you want in today's NBA.

I would trade Ayton way before I would trade Mikal.

I don't know if I'd go quite that far but yeah, I'm not trading Mikal for anything less than an offer no other team would likely make. He's almost untouchable IMO.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Um why? He is exactly the player you want in today's NBA.

I would trade Ayton way before I would trade Mikal.
I think this comment was in context of an Oubre discussion. If Mikal wants to get paid, Oubre will be traded. That would make sense. Money will be tight. Too much overlap with those two unless one is a power forward.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

If this really ends up being the market value for Ibaka I would be willing to significantly overpay for him.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

If this really ends up being the market value for Ibaka I would be willing to significantly overpay for him.

As would I.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure in what world Ibaka is worth only $5,521,235. Some team will pay him more money. He would look good in a Suns uniform.

JerkFace

Reaction score
I'm not sure in what world Ibaka is worth only $5,521,235. Some team will pay him more money. He would look good in a Suns uniform.
I would be thrilled if we could get him for 2 years for 19.4 (full MLE).

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be thrilled if we could get him for 2 years for 19.4 (full MLE).

That would be a bargain compared to the $30 million per season the Nuggets paid Millsap over 3 years.

JerkFace

Reaction score
We are under the cap. We don't get to use the full MLE.
I am far from a capologist so I may be wrong, but I believe if we use our cap space first then we can use the room exception which allows us to use the full MLE in a 2 year contract.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am far from a capologist so I may be wrong, but I believe if we use our cap space first then we can use the room exception which allows us to use the full MLE in a 2 year contract.

Yes, but the annual value for the Room Exception is less than the Full MLE annual value.

JerkFace

Reaction score
Yes, but the annual value for the Room Exception is less than the Full MLE annual value.
We should still have (or can relatively easily get to) enough cap space to sign him to a 2/20 contract without using an exception then. I am guessing that the 9.7 million a year exception will be what most interested teams will be offering and what we will be competing against. It will probably be to our advantage to not use (have) the exception so that we can up the offer a tad if it puts us over the top in securing him.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

There will be stiff competition for Ibaka as contenders will be lining up. Also, rumor has it that TOR has a 1 yr $28M deal in place with him.

He is my #1 on my PHX FA wish list like most on this board but to land him would be a coup.

Dream offseason:
Sign Ibaka
Draft Jalen Smith at #10
Trade back in to back end of lottery (possibly with BOS for #14) and take Tyrell Terry.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing that caught my eye on Tyrell Terry is his quick release. It reminds me a bit of Trae Young.

Okay, I needed an excuse to show this.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/...agency-target-breakdown-allonzo-trier-arizona

God, please, no. We have already seen the Ayton/Trier combo in Tucson, and it wasn't pretty...

I don't have a concern about specifically combining Trier and Ayton, I just think he probably needs to bottom out even further before he finally turns it around. It's difficult to fully trust the guy, as a player and as a person.

Still, if his head is on straight and he's willing to play within the framework of a team, I'd have no qualms about signing him sometime in the future. Right now though, I think I'd rather keep Payne and Carter even if that still leaves us in need of a scoring threat off the bench.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't have a concern about specifically combining Trier and Ayton, I just think he probably needs to bottom out even further before he finally turns it around. It's difficult to fully trust the guy, as a player and as a person.

Still, if his head is on straight and he's willing to play within the framework of a team, I'd have no qualms about signing him sometime in the future. Right now though, I think I'd rather keep Payne and Carter even if that still leaves us in need of a scoring threat off the bench.

Trier has never been willing to play within the framework of a team. Ever. And Ayton and he have been horrible influences on each other.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trier has never been willing to play within the framework of a team. Ever. And Ayton and he have been horrible influences on each other.

Their paths crossed for just one season and it led to Ayton being selected number one in a top heavy draft despite the fact that Trier was unavailable for most of the season - so I don't know how anyone can judge from afar just what was going on there. But yeah, Trier has earned a reputation as a true ball hog by forcing tough shots with wide open teammates available, that's why I said "IF" and why I suggested he still probably needs to bottom out.

But don't underestimate his talent, if he ever gets it together. He could dominate the 6th man award for a decade if he truly buys in, and that might be his floor if he really does grow up.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Their paths crossed for just one season and it led to Ayton being selected number one in a top heavy draft despite the fact that Trier was unavailable for most of the season - so I don't know how anyone can judge from afar just what was going on there. But yeah, Trier has earned a reputation as a true ball hog by forcing tough shots with wide open teammates available, that's why I said "IF" and why I suggested he still probably needs to bottom out.

But don't underestimate his talent, if he ever gets it together. He could dominate the 6th man award for a decade if he truly buys in, and that might be his floor if he really does grow up.

Trier is incredibly talented, but his head is about where Brandon Knight's and Mike James' were, and his heart is about where Josh Jackson's was. And Ayton's effort (as well as the team's performance) was beyond inconsistent in the one year they were together, largely because they were always partying and smoking weed together. The WORST thing the Suns could do in terms of Ayton, as well as in terms of team chemistry, is to bring Trier here.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trier is incredibly talented, but his head is about where Brandon Knight's and Mike James' were, and his heart is about where Josh Jackson's was. And Ayton's effort (as well as the team's performance) was beyond inconsistent in the one year they were together, largely because they were always partying and smoking weed together. The WORST thing the Suns could do in terms of Ayton, as well as in terms of team chemistry, is to bring Trier here.

Maybe. I'm not saying it didn't happen, I just didn't know about it other than the occasional rumor.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard