Free Agency 2018

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trading for Brogdon is more likely than trading for #2 to take Doncic, I like that more also. It wouldn't cost half of what people are proposing we part with to get the #2 pick, which I don't see the Kings being willing to part with either.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think that's why they'll make a move this year, or before next offseason. Why not make a run at the playoffs? Booker's extension will be factored into the salary cap when the 2019 offseason starts and even though we'll have Dudley and Chandler coming off the books, it's Booker's contract that will more than likely cap us out.

This year is about building chemistry and establishing some continuity with our guys. We'll be more competitive in the 2019-2020 season if we can have virtually all of the pieces in place this year. I don't think the playoffs will happen this year but I wouldn't be surprised if we do add a good PG like a Kemba Walker type of player.

Even getting swept wouldn't be the worst thing. The Pelicans got valuable playoff experience this year and so did the Timberwolves even though they were out in the 2nd and 1st rounds, respectively.

Minnesota will probably be in the top half of the West this year because of their guys getting postseason experience. We need to make a move for a Jimmy Butler type of player to help be a leader while our young guys get familiar with one another.
See I think there are limited shots. You want booker to be volume #1, likely Ayton number two, Jackson #3. Walker will demand lots of shots. Likely to detriment of one of those guys. Not everyone can be a star. Even the warriors, with four stars, have one (draymond) who is not a volume shooter. That’s why I think kemba isn’t necessarily a great fit.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
See I think there are limited shots. You want booker to be volume #1, likely Ayton number two, Jackson #3. Walker will demand lots of shots. Likely to detriment of one of those guys. Not everyone can be a star. Even the warriors, with four stars, have one (draymond) who is not a volume shooter. That’s why I think kemba isn’t necessarily a great fit.

I think Kemba as our #2 guy would be fine this season and beyond that it may get tricky but he's also a free agent after this season. The PG options this year are really bad in the FA market, trading for a PG is our best bet. Kemba would need to drop to our 3rd option once Ayton is more developed but he'd be on the wrong side of 30 by then. Jackson would be the question mark there but I don't see him raising an issue about touches, especially if we're winning. It could work, not sure it would, but the right offensive style should keep everyone content.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How about this. The Suns draft Ayton.

They trade for Malcom Brogdon. Maybe TJ, Chriss, the 16, 31, whatever.

Then they sign Paul George in free agency.

All that for Brogdon? He isn't that good.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think Kemba as our #2 guy would be fine this season and beyond that it may get tricky but he's also a free agent after this season. The PG options this year are really bad in the FA market, trading for a PG is our best bet. Kemba would need to drop to our 3rd option once Ayton is more developed but he'd be on the wrong side of 30 by then. Jackson would be the question mark there but I don't see him raising an issue about touches, especially if we're winning. It could work, not sure it would, but the right offensive style should keep everyone content.
I think guys become available that no one sees coming. For instance, the wolves trading for the hawks pg last offseason. Didn’t see that coming. Or kyrie demanding out last offseason. Didn’t see that coming. I think kemba is the “obvious” choice but maybe not the best choice . . . for this squad. In booker, Jj and Ayton you have three good passers for their respective positions. I think Bender is pretty heady too. And if Igor puts in a nice movement offense we likely don’t need a ball dominant pg like kemba. We need a good 3-D pg. a compliment.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think guys become available that no one sees coming. For instance, the wolves trading for the hawks pg last offseason. Didn’t see that coming. Or kyrie demanding out last offseason. Didn’t see that coming. I think kemba is the “obvious” choice but maybe not the best choice . . . for this squad. In booker, Jj and Ayton you have three good passers for their respective positions. I think Bender is pretty heady too. And if Igor puts in a nice movement offense we likely don’t need a ball dominant pg like kemba. We need a good 3-D pg. a compliment.
Totally agree with this. Doncic would be a nice piece because he could fit into this scheme without having to be a star. Brogdon would be good here too. Honestly, Elfrid, if he played to any kind of his potential would be very good for this too.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trading for Brogdon is more likely than trading for #2 to take Doncic, I like that more also. It wouldn't cost half of what people are proposing we part with to get the #2 pick, which I don't see the Kings being willing to part with either.

It probably wouldn't but if Doncic is only going to be twice as valuable as Brogdon, I'd have no interest in him. I like Brogdon in the right scheme and as a backup. But he isn't the answer for a team looking for a starter IMO.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It probably wouldn't but if Doncic is only going to be twice as valuable as Brogdon, I'd have no interest in him. I like Brogdon in the right scheme and as a backup. But he isn't the answer for a team looking for a starter IMO.
I think Brogdon would be a very competent starter.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about this. The Suns draft Ayton.

They trade for Malcom Brogdon. Maybe TJ, Chriss, the 16, 31, whatever.

Then they sign Paul George in free agency.

Brogdon
Booker
Jackson
George
Ayton

Bench
Knight, Ulis
Daniels
Bender
Williams
Chandler
Dudley

Defense, offense, speed, versatility.

Brogdon would be a good fit or another PG/combo guard that can shoot and pass the ball. I'm hesitant to give up so much for him though. IMO, the Suns would be way overpaying. I'd be especially sad to see Warren leave.

It's so interesting that the Suns can legitimately start looking at star players like Paul George.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Brogdon would be a very competent starter.

I'm of the opinion that in today's NBA your point guard has to be an above replacement player, something Brogdon hasn't been. But maybe I'll feel differently about the position in Igor's offense?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was thinking about some realistic off-season scenarios involving free agency after drafting Ayton and came up with the following.

We sign Avery Bradley to a low to middling contract. Gambo has stated that the Suns have/had interest in him and he obviously has the McDonough connection. He is unrestricted and coming off a down year due to bouncing around and injury.

I believe he is a combo guard and would be the first guard off the bench and can play a defensive 2 guard while spelling Booker or share Ball handling duties with him when Knight is out. He would be a nice 3&D guy to have coming off the bench.

The big swing would be working a sign and trade with Orlando for Aaron Gordon. We'd likely have to give up Warren and Chriss and a pick to entice Orlando to do it. But Gordon would give us and athletic and versatile 4 who can spread the floor and compliment Ayton.

So that would give us a lineup of Knight, Booker, Jackson, Gordon, and Ayton with Bradley and Bender being the first 2 off the bench.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was thinking about some realistic off-season scenarios involving free agency after drafting Ayton and came up with the following.

We sign Avery Bradley to a low to middling contract. Gambo has stated that the Suns have/had interest in him and he obviously has the McDonough connection. He is unrestricted and coming off a down year due to bouncing around and injury.

I believe he is a combo guard and would be the first guard off the bench and can play a defensive 2 guard while spelling Booker or share Ball handling duties with him when Knight is out. He would be a nice 3&D guy to have coming off the bench.

The big swing would be working a sign and trade with Orlando for Aaron Gordon. We'd likely have to give up Warren and Chriss and a pick to entice Orlando to do it. But Gordon would give us and athletic and versatile 4 who can spread the floor and compliment Ayton.

So that would give us a lineup of Knight, Booker, Jackson, Gordon, and Ayton with Bradley and Bender being the first 2 off the bench.

I like that but the price for Gordon would play a big role in things. A team can only afford to max out 3 players, realistically, so if Gordon was seeking the max it could be an issue. I know Ayton would be on his rookie deal for the next 4 years, and Jackson has 3 years left on his, but we'd need to part ways with one of them when their rookie deals run out if we maxed out Gordon. They could let Gordon go at the end but I'm not sure about that either. We do have Chriss and Bender but would likely lose 1 in a deal for Gordon, so retaining one would be fine since neither of them will get close to a max but they could be capable of taking over for Gordon when his deal expires. I'd rather build a team they could keep together for years to come and signing Gordon to max money makes that less likely.

Personally I'd rather they go after someone like Luc Mbah a Moute who is an unrestricted free agent for the Rockets. He's played the 4 there and he's a good defender so he should be able to play the 4 for the Suns next to Ayton. He'd be cheaper than Gordon and we'd still have TJ and Chriss, plus cap space.

I'm all for acquiring Bradley in that scenario though and am 100% behind it. Knight could be our starter and Booker and Bradley could alternate playing PG while Knight sits. We'd also still have Ulis, Shaq Harrison, or Canaan to come in as well when Booker and Knight sit together. Daniels will still be here to provide shooting for us off the bench.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting to note, this last season was the first season since 2011-12 that the Suns weren't paying Beasley. Does Sarver miss cutting him checks that much? Since he was stretched his contract was on the books up through the 2016-17 season. That was one of McD's first moves, to waive and stretch Beasley's contract. Here's a link explaining the stretch provision, he was waived September 2nd that summer.

Don't see the point in signing him now, even for the minimum. He's not someone you want around our youngsters. He's got a poor attitude, generally. He is a tweener forward at best who doesn't deserve a shot at starting ahead of Jackson, Warren, Chriss, or Bender. So 5th Forward off the bench? No thanks.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Interesting to note, this last season was the first season since 2011-12 that the Suns weren't paying Beasley. Do Sarver miss cutting him checks that much?

Could they sign him to a small contract, then waive him immediately, so that they could still pay him without any possibility that he'd see the floor?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Given the nature of his previous stint, I suspect we wouldn't take him for free.

There are some bored and stupid writers out there.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would guess that Beasley's agent has cooked this up to develop interest. The Suns have money to spend so they must be perceived to be in the mix if he is going to get a better deal. And NY media love a little controversy too.

I do not believe the Suns are interested at all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score