Free Agency 2018

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As it stands they'll have around $14 million in cap space next season. If they plan on being players in free agency they'll need to free up more space, which could be done by trading Dudley or Chandler, and would give them close to enough cap space to sign a max free agent. As is I wouldn't mind them making a run at Jusuf Nurkic. I'm not sure if they'll have the space to get him to sign here but I think he'll sign for somewhere around $15 million a year. He'd be a solid young Center to grow with the team going forward. I don't think Portland will be able to pay him that much unless they can unload a deal before signing him because they're currently at the luxury tax line and have a lot of bad contracts on their books.

Here is a link to see the Suns cap situation going forward...
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/phoenix-suns/cap/2018/

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Hoopshype has listed its top 50 free agents this summer.

http://hoopshype.com/2018/01/11/nba-free-agency-2018-the-top-players/

Alex Len did not make the list. Alex, if you are not in the top 50, you are not getting a big payday.
Not in the top 50 free agents. Wow! Knowing that he has let us down is one thing. Seeing that he has not been chosen nationally as a top-50 free agent is a stark reality.

I hope that $arver doesn't see this as motivation to re-signing him at a cheap cost. If that happens, we'll know where the Managing General Partner's priorities lie. Time will tell.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think it all largely depends on what we get from the draft. They really need a point guard. Nothing in free agency really appeals to me on that front.

I would probably sign Okafor and see what happens, especially if Len is gone. Dedmon Might be an option.

Then they need some shooting. Wayne Ellington, Will Barton, PatrickMcCaw might be decent bench options.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it all largely depends on what we get from the draft. They really need a point guard. Nothing in free agency really appeals to me on that front.

I would probably sign Okafor and see what happens, especially if Len is gone. Dedmon Might be an option.

Then they need some shooting. Wayne Ellington, Will Barton, PatrickMcCaw might be decent bench options.

Might add Pat Connaughton to the list.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also Corey Joseph and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.

Joseph is interesting because he plays PG. He has a player option.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I like KCP, but I think he will want to start. I am not sure how much playing time there is for him in Phoenix. Jabari's health scares me. Joseph would be an interesting option for a backup PG. Not familiar with Connaughton, as I haven't really watched Portland a whole lot this year.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Two questions:

1. Who will be willing to sign here?
2. Who's worth shelling out a ton of cash for that will make us better?

Obviously we'd all pay Lebron and Durant $35M to come play for us. But they aren't coming.
I doubt Chris Paul wants to end his career with a bunch of young'ns as well. Otherwise he's a perfect fit for what we need. If healthy.
I don't see anyone at 2, 3, or 4 to overpay to replace what we have. Which essentially limits our interest to 1 and 5.

At PG I could see going after Elfrid Payton. I'm not a huge fan of his, but he does play D which is what our PG will have to do with Book severely limited. He's only an ok passing PG which limits his value, but with Book picking it up in the passing column we may not need a traditional passing PG (who don't exist anymore anyway). Is he worth the $$ we'll have to pay him? I doubt it.

I'd still make a trade for Dinwiddie.

At C, I'm ok with not making a big splash. Just pick up someone who can handle lobs, pick up the trash, and ball out on D. It'll be interesting to see what Dedmon and Noel garner. If they could be had cheap I'd take a shot. They probably won't.

The biggest problem with FAs this year is that we aren't winning anything anytime soon. It's tough to sign a FA who knows the window is lodged shut.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Two questions:

1. Who will be willing to sign here?
2. Who's worth shelling out a ton of cash for that will make us better?

Obviously we'd all pay Lebron and Durant $35M to come play for us. But they aren't coming.
I doubt Chris Paul wants to end his career with a bunch of young'ns as well. Otherwise he's a perfect fit for what we need. If healthy.
I don't see anyone at 2, 3, or 4 to overpay to replace what we have. Which essentially limits our interest to 1 and 5.

At PG I could see going after Elfrid Payton. I'm not a huge fan of his, but he does play D which is what our PG will have to do with Book severely limited. He's only an ok passing PG which limits his value, but with Book picking it up in the passing column we may not need a traditional passing PG (who don't exist anymore anyway). Is he worth the $$ we'll have to pay him? I doubt it.

I'd still make a trade for Dinwiddie.

At C, I'm ok with not making a big splash. Just pick up someone who can handle lobs, pick up the trash, and ball out on D. It'll be interesting to see what Dedmon and Noel garner. If they could be had cheap I'd take a shot. They probably won't.

The biggest problem with FAs this year is that we aren't winning anything anytime soon. It's tough to sign a FA who knows the window is lodged shut.

I tend to agree, but the Suns also need to focus on bringing in serviceable role players. They just need shooters and they need defenders. I admit to not watching Payton a lot, but to me he is a no. You simple cannot have anymore players who can't shoot. I hear that he's shooting a decent percentage this year, but I am not sold. I would love Dinwiddie on the Suns roster, but I really don't see the Nets letting him go.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I tend to agree, but the Suns also need to focus on bringing in serviceable role players. They just need shooters and they need defenders. I admit to not watching Payton a lot, but to me he is a no. You simple cannot have anymore players who can't shoot. I hear that he's shooting a decent percentage this year, but I am not sold. I would love Dinwiddie on the Suns roster, but I really don't see the Nets letting him go.

I don't recommend spending too much time watching Payton. It's just not going to be a lot of fun. But that's the PG position these days.

There's a lot of negatives on Payton's leadership and presence on a floor. However, he's 23. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery. He might be that guy that just needs a good HC (Triano) and a stud SG (Booker). I don't know.

No matter what I'm not signing him to a hefty contract. Heck no one is. But you might find a bargain price on a guy that could be an upgrade on what we have.

That said, I might go all out on Young this draft and not worry about it.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we can get Young or Doncic, then fantastic! If not, something needs to be done at pg next year and I'm not sure there are a lot of realistic options better than Payton, who at least has the potential for improvement. But yes...definitely don't give him big money.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Collin Sexton should be an option where the Suns pick. Not sure how good of a fit he'd be but he's ranked in the top 10 of most mocks. Are there are any other Euro guards to draft later? Doncic is the only European I've heard anything about this year.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I worry that Sexton is ball-dominant without being an elite shooter or passer. Great energy, very athletic, and lots of upside but not really the type of guy I would put next to Booker if I had my choice. I like him as a prospect more than I like him for the Suns.

The most interesting guard prospect in Europe besides Doncic I've come across in limited research (if you count Musa as a SF) is Isaac Bonga. He's a 6'9 pg prospect. There are questions about his shot and athleticism though, and he's likely a project.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like the Suns plan to be players in free agency this summer.

“There are certain core pieces that are starting to solidify,” McDonough said. “I think we’d be foolish or naïve to wait forever or be overly patient. We’ve been, I think, relatively disciplined with contracts we’ve given out in terms of length and dollars, but yeah, we’re planning on being one of five of six teams with a decent amount of cap space, and we’ll see if we can improve the team.”

In trading point guard Eric Bledsoe to the Milwaukee Bucks in November and shedding his $15 million salary for the 2018-19 season, the Suns put themselves in position to have approximately $20 million available in cap space this summer, assuming they don’t re-sign unrestricted free agent center Alex Len.

Phoenix could free up additional cap space by trading either center Tyson Chandler ($13.5 million next season) or forward Jared Dudley ($9.5 million). That would give the Suns the ability to sign an elite free agent to a max contract or trade for an established player with a big deal.

Scott Bordow, azcentral sports Published 3:40 p.m. MT Jan. 27, 2018 | Updated 3:40 p.m. MT Jan. 27, 2018

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...e-timeline-aggressive-free-agency/1072428001/

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It looks like the Suns plan to be players in free agency this summer.

Scott Bordow, azcentral sports Published 3:40 p.m. MT Jan. 27, 2018 | Updated 3:40 p.m. MT Jan. 27, 2018

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...e-timeline-aggressive-free-agency/1072428001/

Who would we get? Durant, LeBron, Cousins, PG, CP3, DAJ, Gordon, Capella, Parker, Melo, Avery Bradley, Favors?

I could see us making a run at Julius Randle. The Lakers might blink. Capella may be an option depending on the draft. Marcus Smart might be an option. He can defend and distribute. That would look OK next to Booker.

I would have thought that Cousins would be the target, but that must have changed now.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think a lot will depend on who they draft. If they draft a big, they'll go after a point guard in free agency/ trade. If they draft Docic or Young, they'll need to get a big or two.

They don't need a Superstar- they've got one. For the next stage, they need another two scorers, and a couple of 3 and D guys. Next stage is making playoffs, maybe making it out of the first round. There isn't anyone they can sign that will turn them into a contender. Put LBJ or KD on this team, and the team still has more holes than Swiss cheese. There still isn't enough scoring, defense, or shooting. I think they need a real point guard above all else. Then they need somebody on the inside who is a legitimate NBA player. Someone who can defend and score some. They they need 2-3 guys who can defend and shoot. Once they are good enough to get out of the first round, they can start looking for another Superstar.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Noel didn't sign with Rich Paul last summer he's a player I'd like to see the Suns go after in FA this summer but since he has Rich as his agent I highly doubt he's on their radar. I don't imagine McD wants to deal with any Rich Paul clients. Looks like turning down the 4 year $70 million dollar offer last summer was a huge mistake on his part also, he's not even in the rotation for the Mavericks any more and he'll be lucky to get more than the MLE.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I could see us making a run at Julius Randle. The Lakers might blink. Capella may be an option depending on the draft. Marcus Smart might be an option. He can defend and distribute. That would look OK next to Booker.

These are the more realistic FAs the Suns could target (I am not saying they should necessarily). Anyone suggesting that the likes of Lebron, Durant, George, or Paul are realistic possibilities and that we should position ourselves for a run at them has gravel for brains. Cousins could get some consideration only if the market is completely dead for him due to his injury, and I doubt it will be.

At this stage, the best the Suns can hope for is to add small complementary pieces through FA - it is a completely undesirable destination for elite FAs. Build the team into legitimacy through smart drafting and maybe a deft/lucky trade or two, then in a few years, we might be a desirable FA destination again.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who would we get? Durant, LeBron, Cousins, PG, CP3, DAJ, Gordon, Capella, Parker, Melo, Avery Bradley, Favors?

I would have thought that Cousins would be the target, but that must have changed now.

Enes Kanter would solve a lot of the Suns problems at center. He is only 25 and can score and rebound. Also he will likely opt out of his contract and be an unrestricted free agent.

Derrick Favors is also an URFA and he plays both PF/C.

I think Portland will match any offer for Nurkic. It's hard to see Gordon not being matched. Maybe Capela can be taken from the Rockets with the right offer. Mirotic has a team option.

As SirStefan32 said, some of the decision making will be made by who the Suns draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McDonough says this every year.

The Suns are going for it this summer because they want to keep Booker happy as he nears free agency.

McDonough says they are willing to cash in some chips this summer. Pretty bold assessment in my opinion.