Fitz illegal block penalty

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Anybody understand the call on this? Collinsworth said something to the effect of "you can block towards the goal line from the outside". Made no sense to me at all. It appeared to be a good, clean, physical block to me.

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
New rule this year. Nobody understands it and it seemingly gets called at random.

Announcers don't understand it any more than the players.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The first thing I thought was ppl criticizing Fitz for not smoking Richard Sheeman last year. Now he gets physical and gets a penalty. :lol:

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's similar to a crack back block. You can't cross the LOS then double back and chop a player's legs.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
The announcers said it was the Heinz Ward rule but it's not.

It's brand new.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
New player safety rule

They don't want the blind side blocks where the defender is pushing the ball and an offensive player doubles back and cleans his clock

My sense is that if Fitz had just kinda blocked him rather than hitting him hard, no flag

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Blind side block.

A defenseless player who receives a block when the blocker is moving toward, or parallel to, his own end line and approaches the opponent from behind or from the side.
Fitz came back and smacked him. In today's NFL it was a good call.

Last edited:

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This call was utter horse crap. In no way did he strike the head, which is what the announcers were saying he did wrong.

It's horsecrap but for a different reason. Unlike a crack back block penalty which is designed to protect a player from getting his knees blown out, this 'new' penalty is designed to wussify this game. The way the rules are changing this league is going to be flag football in 10 years. Hell, the game is going to be damned near unrecognizable in 10 years. You already can't hit a receiver until he establishes the catch and only after he makes a "football move". You can't hit anyone in the head with your head even if you're already in the process of a tackle and they duck into your tackle. If any part of your helmet even grazes the other player's helmet it's a penalty. And now you can't block someone on the LOS unless they're looking you right in the eye. They say it's to protect the players but nothing this league does is ever in the best interest of the players or the game. It's always in their own best interests.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This call was utter horse crap. In no way did he strike the head, which is what the announcers were saying he did wrong.

I understand if you go for the knees when the guy is not looking but to me it looked like Fitz put a shoulder to his chest which I thought was legal. Only thing I could figure out is the player was not looking so they said Fitz blindsided him. No idea if that is a penalty.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember years ago when Tommy Bennett got nailed twice in the Vikigns game by those blocks?

The rule is the WR can't be going backwards when he makes the block. Fitz was not going forwards he was going backwards, doubling back if you will.

It was very close but by the letter of the rule the right call. Pereira was quite clear about that later on he said by the rule it's a good call, he didn't go for the head but that's not what they called

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Blind side block.

Fitz came back and smacked him. In today's NFL it was a good call.

Not is was not , Fitz did not come from the side or the back. It was not a blindside block. The defensive player looked away, Fitz came from the front so I would say that is just lack of awareness by the defensive player and a good hard block by Fitz.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Remember years ago when Tommy Bennett got nailed twice in the Vikigns game by those blocks?

The rule is the WR can't be going backwards when he makes the block. Fitz was not going forwards he was going backwards, doubling back if you will.

It was very close but by the letter of the rule the right call. Pereira was quite clear about that later on he said by the rule it's a good call, he didn't go for the head but that's not what they called

Russ, I remember vividly. The WR was Chris Walsh, He lit TB up something serious. He would have been ejected for hits like that today.

Errntknght

Reaction score
In the olden days the rule was simple - if the defender was more that 2 yards from the line of scrimmage you couldn't block him from behind his back - regardless of which way either player was moving or where you hit him - high, low or in the middle. The explanation of the new rule wasn't clear to me and I thought the ruling they gave was that he hit him too high (new rule).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the olden days the rule was simple - if the defender was more that 2 yards from the line of scrimmage you couldn't block him from behind his back - regardless of which way either player was moving or where you hit him - high, low or in the middle. The explanation of the new rule wasn't clear to me and I thought the ruling they gave was that he hit him too high (new rule).

Collinsworth said it was because he was moving back towards the LOS instead of forward away the LOS. You could see that clear as day on replay. Larry knew it too because he tried to change direction right at the end of the block so he would not be moving back on impact.

You see people get away with that regularly but Pereira was clear by rule that's the correct call.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I assume it was the same type of penalty that was called when the Cowboys laid out Lockett for the Seahawks? They both looked like perfectly clean blocks to me. They just look bad because of the recipients got crushed, so it must be a penalty! :p

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn