Fear the Walking Dead (AMC)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, the biggest problem here is the characters. Rick and Lenny were really likable characters right off the bat and I wanted to follow Rick's journey (and always wanted to find out what happened to Lenny). But these characters? Meh all around so far.

I like watching the destruction of society though so I'll keep sticking around. That said, the "idiot plot" of it all is starting to bug me. (For those of who don't know, Roger Ebert coined the phrase years ago as a plot that's dependent on people being idiots and never just having the simple conversation of what's actually going on to those around them in the dark.)

Yep...agree with you Cheesebeef. Almost right away I was fully vested in Rick and some of the other characters. This show? The only one so far for me is the daughter. That's it.

Plus the idiot plot is right on. I used to love it when he said that. For example, after what they had seen, Madison walks into the house and shuts the door like it was just another day home form the job. No sense of urgency whatsoever. Despite what she had seen and despite her suspicions she just shut the door and walked in the other room. I would have ran around the house locked all the doors and windows and made damn sure nobody opened it.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I kinda like the main character,...the junky...

I mean come on,...when dude woke up from his high and found his girl eating that guys face,...when he came out of that alley running in to the streets,...he looked just like a guy who had just seen a zombie...lol... he was runnin his happy ass off,..pullin up the britches, quick look over the shoulder,... head dipped back and flowin' like a crack head....lmao, it was funny as hell.

I liked the dynamic where he was unsure if he was really seeing this stuff or if he had just gotten some bad dope...........and the hidden tension with mom,...she has indicated that she has a past with junkies,...her self?? Kids father?? who knows,...but she was being miss know it all, been there done that,... right up until she saw Cals dead ass get splattered by that truck and hop back up........ kinda think she was in a bit of shock after that.
The daughter is a *******...stereotypical teenaged girl...wants to run off and be with her boyfriend because life is a fairytale and her family is lame.... kinda hoping she slips out and her boyfriend devours her...the junky brother is much more entertaining.

really got a kick out of the crowd recording the cops so they can post the videos on youtube... when the coroners showed up in bio hazard suits,...still nobody thought to just get the hell away from there...... it may be an "Idiot Plot"...but IMO it was pretty real to life in the modern world. when the mob mentality kicks in people act on what they think is happening, not on reality.
I liked there at the end, the step dad/ school teacher,.. he finally got it... he recognized that the people were not sick, but that the dead were getting back up. I think he is going to be a pretty strong character...but throughout this season it may be him, his son, and his exe wife trying to survive,..while his new ol'lady, her daughter and her junky son try to live through it on their own..... he is thinking he can catch up with her pretty easy,...has not considered the cell towers will go down...

I really loved that the nerd was the first one to figure it out.....people love to pick on nerds..until the zombie apocalypse starts,....then you just have to get one on your side,lol............. they know what is going on

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kinda like the main character,...the junky...

I mean come on,...when dude woke up from his high and found his girl eating that guys face,...when he came out of that alley running in to the streets,...he looked just like a guy who had just seen a zombie...lol... he was runnin his happy ass off,..pullin up the britches, quick look over the shoulder,... head dipped back and flowin' like a crack head....lmao, it was funny as hell.

I liked the dynamic where he was unsure if he was really seeing this stuff or if he had just gotten some bad dope...........and the hidden tension with mom,...she has indicated that she has a past with junkies,...her self?? Kids father?? who knows,...but she was being miss know it all, been there done that,... right up until she saw Cals dead ass get splattered by that truck and hop back up........ kinda think she was in a bit of shock after that.
The daughter is a *******...stereotypical teenaged girl...wants to run off and be with her boyfriend because life is a fairytale and her family is lame.... kinda hoping she slips out and her boyfriend devours her...the junky brother is much more entertaining.

really got a kick out of the crowd recording the cops so they can post the videos on youtube... when the coroners showed up in bio hazard suits,...still nobody thought to just get the hell away from there...... it may be an "Idiot Plot"...but IMO it was pretty real to life in the modern world. when the mob mentality kicks in people act on what they think is happening, not on reality.
I liked there at the end, the step dad/ school teacher,.. he finally got it... he recognized that the people were not sick, but that the dead were getting back up. I think he is going to be a pretty strong character...but throughout this season it may be him, his son, and his exe wife trying to survive,..while his new ol'lady, her daughter and her junky son try to live through it on their own..... he is thinking he can catch up with her pretty easy,...has not considered the cell towers will go down...

I really loved that the nerd was the first one to figure it out.....people love to pick on nerds..until the zombie apocalypse starts,....then you just have to get one on your side,lol............. they know what is going on

my issue with the "idiot plot" of it all doesn't really have to do with the police or authorities. I think they'd be super tight-lipped and not tell people what's going on. My comment refers more to Mom, Dad and Junkie.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
my issue with the "idiot plot" of it all doesn't really have to do with the police or authorities. I think they'd be super tight-lipped and not tell people what's going on. My comment refers more to Mom, Dad and Junkie.

I hated how they didn't explain it to their daughter and she really had no idea. Why wouldn't they tell her and get her up to speed. :bang:

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
I hated how they didn't explain it to their daughter and she really had no idea. Why wouldn't they tell her and get her up to speed. :bang:

Remember that most people are still drawing the conclusion that this will be fixed. I don't think the true gravity of the situation has hit them yet. They know lots of people are going to die but I don't really think they know yet that this is the end of society as we know it. They are trying to shelter her. They will learn soon enough how dangerous and devastating this problem really is.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We were enjoying episode 2 last night, but then I remembered how you guys were saying it was not good, had bad characters, etc. ... :bang:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
pilot featured three black characters... all of them are dead in episode 2. It's almost like the writers are mocking the issue of black red shirts in the original show.

At least none of them were named "T-Bone".

Baby steps.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would anybody care if half the main characters bit the dust tomorrow? I mean the junky son? He could get eaten tomorrow and I wouldn't care. I know that sounds harsh but the show needs some characters you really feel vested in but like you said...it's still early. The only two characters that remotely fit that bill so far is the daughter and possibly the dad. Everyone else? Pffft.

That is where the other series lost me. It got to a point where Daryl was the only character I found remotely interesting and I was actively rooting for the zombies to eat about 75% of the cast. I do wish I'd held on long enough to watch Andrea kick the bucket... maybe I'll look up the episode on Netflix when I need some catharsis.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is where the other series lost me. It got to a point where Daryl was the only character I found remotely interesting and I was actively rooting for the zombies to eat about 75% of the cast. I do wish I'd held on long enough to watch Andrea kick the bucket... maybe I'll look up the episode on Netflix when I need some catharsis.

In my opinion there are a few cast members that I care about on that show. Even a couple they killed...it sucked. However, take your feelings about that show and apply it to 99% of the cast of this new show.....that's where I am. Who knows maybe they will grow on my like a zombie virus.

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
We were enjoying episode 2 last night, but then I remembered how you guys were saying it was not good, had bad characters, etc. ... :bang:

I know, I hate that when I'm liking something and then somebody else says its bad. :sarcasm:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, the biggest problem here is the characters. Rick and Lenny were really likable characters right off the bat and I wanted to follow Rick's journey (and always wanted to find out what happened to Lenny). But these characters? Meh all around so far.

I like watching the destruction of society though so I'll keep sticking around. That said, the "idiot plot" of it all is starting to bug me. (For those of who don't know, Roger Ebert coined the phrase years ago as a plot that's dependent on people being idiots and never just having the simple conversation of what's actually going on to those around them in the dark.)

Totally agree. That was my issue with the pilot. I felt the main characters were very weak and I had zero connection with them.

So one of the main characters (the mom who I think is named Madison) in the pilot just ignores all of the blood and guts in the church like it is normal. Then she encounters her first walker (her sons friend) that tries to eat her. She even sees walkers on the news munching on paramedics.

So what does she do in Episode 2? She sees her boss walking around just like the ones she saw in the last episode and decides she is going to go and make small talk with him. I mean Come ON! How are we supposed to root for a character like this? When I see a stupid person on a show like this I begin to root for the walkers. I'm almost to that point with Madison.

I hope the writing for this show gets better. It has so much potential.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder why, as humans, we have the desire to create bleak and depressing universes.

This episode was much better than the first.

It had some better scenes but the episode itself wasnt very good IMO. I dont like how they are acting like they know the world is ending in one scene, and then casually strolling around like its no big deal in the next.

Would anybody care if half the main characters bit the dust tomorrow? I mean the junky son? He could get eaten tomorrow and I wouldn't care. I know that sounds harsh but the show needs some characters you really feel vested in but like you said...it's still early. The only two characters that remotely fit that bill so far is the daughter and possibly the dad. Everyone else? Pffft.

I like the dad. Thats about it so far. Maybe the nerd kid.

who the hell is Lenny?

At least none of them were named "T-Bone".

Baby steps.

LOL!

Totally agree. That was my issue with the pilot. I felt the main characters were very weak and I had zero connection with them.

So one of the main characters (the mom who I think is named Madison) in the pilot just ignores all of the blood and guts in the church like it is normal. Then she encounters her first walker (her sons friend) that tries to eat her. She even sees walkers on the news munching on paramedics.

So what does she do in Episode 2? She sees her boss walking around just like the ones she saw in the last episode and decides she is going to go and make small talk with him. I mean Come ON! How are we supposed to root for a character like this? When I see a stupid person on a show like this I begin to root for the walkers. I'm almost to that point with Madison.

I hope the writing for this show gets better. It has so much potential.

She bothered me there as well. OR:

hey ex wife where is our son?

F U guy!

No seriously where is our son?

Screw you!

No really, there is a danger im not going to say anything about

Ok lets go get him.

Or:

Junkie kid is like dying on the floor. Mom leaves to get medicine urgently. Then she casually loots the school for a few hours hanging out with nerd kid taking her sweet ass time. Oh and then lets go pet the zombie guy and offer him help even though ive seen that these people are no longer people.

Why did the dad check the kid for bites? They have no idea what this is or that bites matter yet. Yet they do. Lots of they know nothing and next scene they understand everything issues in this episode.

Oh and by the way, meet me in the desert. I know the desert is massive and vague but meet me there.

I cant stand the junkie kid. He needs to get sober and become a strong character or just go die.

With that being said, I will still be watching as it SHOULD be fantastic at some pooint because of its universe. We will see.

Things I liked:
Zombie heads are super easy to crush in the walking dead. The nerdy kid stabbed principle guy in the head and nothing happened. I never thought about how all the other zombies have been that way for years and years so maybe everything is softer on them where fresh zombies still have thick skulls.

I want to see what is going on outside of the barber shop, that is the most intriguing part about living through the beginning, I want to see military action and etc.

I guess that is all the positive I can really say after that episode. Still hoping it becomes great rather than just fodder until the great show comes back on October 11th.

I think the main characters son will be a good character if he doesn't die off soon. At least he is a strong, normal kid instead of a junkie loser raiding everything for pills. I hated Bob too in TWD, no time for addicts in this world. He is going to get people killed while he looks for drugs everywhere.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

who the hell is Lenny?

It's actually Lennie - as in Lennie James. That is the name of the actor that plays Morgan Jones on TWD. I am fluent in cheese-speak. :D

You must be registered for see images attach

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's actually Lennie - as in Lennie James. That is the name of the actor that plays Morgan Jones on TWD. I am fluent in cheese-speak. :D

You must be registered for see images attach

Ah ok, i was wondering "is he talking about Morgan?"

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Walking Dead franchise continues a proud tradition of introducing a new black character and then promptly killing him. The zombie apocalypse is low-key racist, you guys. Not cool. It’s 2015! I mean, it’s 2010 in the show. Is it, though? I keep seeing new cars and some of their cell phones don’t match the timeline. ANYWAYS. This poor guy doesn’t even get to ask his parents how their road trip to Vegas went (ATTENTION: THIS SHOW TAKES PLACE IN LOS ANGELES) because he got bit and— hey. Wait. How come nobody in the room was like, “JESUS! THIS BITE! HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?!” They’re just like, yeah, shrug, you got bit. We all live in LA and we all know this happens all the time. Also, if you read this recap last week you’ll see I predicted this exact thing would happen. Wish I was the type of person who hates it when he’s right, but I actually really enjoy being right. Even when it comes at the cost of some character I just met last week.

Can you have your knife back? Seriously? You haven’t been able to procure another butter knife from your parents’ kitchen? Sure, kid! Here’s your precious knife back. Use it in good health! Maybe you can assist a zombie who needs to spread peanut butter on an English muffin.

http://www.funnyordie.com/articles/...e-walking-dead?_cc=S0d___&_ccid=hhmo45.nu5pdp

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really enjoyed last nights episode, even with the stupid plot hole. I feel like we are starting to learn a lot more about the character dynamics.

Really, you leave the back door wide open? Really?

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Really enjoyed last nights episode, even with the stupid plot hole. I feel like we are starting to learn a lot more about the character dynamics.

On top of that, they can hear the daughter yelling from the backyard of the Tran's house, but the father couldn't hear the mother yelling from the backyard earlier? Why not just go through the front door of the Tran's house when Travis showed up? For me, last night's episode was almost unwatchable due to the plot holes. Just irritated me.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

That isn't the only time though. Go back and watch from the very first episode. The show is getting on my nerves with character stupidity. Since the first episode, they have left doors wide open and hung out by windows.

Specifically, with last nights episode the characters by this point KNOW something is up. Yet, they walk to the neighbor's house and leave the door behind them open. They walk outside and hang around the house like it's no big deal even after a zombie tried to attack them. While driving away in their cars towards the end, all of the characters had their car windows down. REALLY!?!?!

I mean come on. Even if you don't know exactly what is going on, they have seen enough to take some freaking precaution and show some paranoia.

Also, the soldiers asking who is in the house and who is buried out back was pretty bad. She said..."oh my dog" and the soldier just took her word for it despite the outbreak.????

The writers are seriously pissing me off. I don't know who is dumber, the characters in the show or the writers who are writing them.

Last edited:

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May have been posted earlier, but do I need to watch the original Walking Dead first to understand this series?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
May have been posted earlier, but do I need to watch the original Walking Dead first to understand this series?

It hasn't helped me so far. I don't understand what half theses characters are thinking most of the time.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And why did they act as though they needed to keep it all a secret from the daughter? Almost got her killed a few times because Momma acted like it was all important to keep Alecia in the dark.

Speaking of Momma, that chick is a good actress but she is really bringing nothing to the table for moments that should be shocking or terrifying. She goes off to tell the neighbor not to touch his wife and does so with about the same level of urgency as though she was warning him to stay off a wet floor. Then when the dude's zombie wife gets her head blown off by the army (who approached as silent as Seal Team 6) she had virtually no reaction.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why, but after that two week break following two whole episodes into the series, I find my patience wearing thin with this show. Agree with the complaints up thread and just this odd pacing of the show is irritating. I find that after two weeks, I'm even less invested in characters that I wasn't very invested in from before and now I've forgotten everyone's name. :doi:

Fortunately for them, there isn't a lot of competition right now, but once hockey season starts, my DVR space becomes more exclusive. Tick-tock, FoTWD, tick-tock.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow the stupidity continues with this last episode but I think it ended with some upside.

So Madison and her kids see Travis drive up to the front of their house which we all know has a walker in it. It seems like they are in the front of the neighbors house and most likely could just go through the front door to warn him. Yet somehow they decide it's better to go back through some maze of a backyard to warn him. Whatever, I've seen worse with this show so I guess it's not that bad in comparison.

What really bugged me, is Travis really that dense? He is standing there watching yet another walker eating a dead dog in his house and what does he do when the walker comes at him??? "Hey buddy are you OK?" This guy has to be the dumbest guy left on planet earth. How many times does a walker need to attack you for you to realize they are not your friend??? I was yelling at the TV in disgust at that point. Almost turned it off.

I felt it ended somewhat on a high note when the military came in. Hopefully these characters start to get a clue now that they realize the stuff is starting to hit the fan. Man the writing has been so poor up to this point! Going to give it a few more episodes.

I actually like the Barber guy and the ex-wife better than the two lead characters at this point. I say kill off the two parents and let the barber take care of the drugie, sister and step brother.

Last edited:

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The barber guy is pretty awesome, seems to know what he is doing and how to take care of his family.

As for the step dad guy, likeable, but he better get some survival skills quick. Not sure why he keeps talking about heading to the desert when he knows or should know the freeways are jammed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard